Dynadot

news Facebook, Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp All Down - "caused by a DNS (domain name server) fail"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dncafe

I Buy WebsitesTop Member
Impact
"Global users are experiencing outages on Facebook, including all social networks the company owns, which include Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp. When navigating to these websites, a server error will appear — Instagram shows a “5xx server error,” which indicates that this is an issue with Facebook’s servers. Users are also unable to send messages or load new content on the mobile apps for these platforms. Even Oculus, Facebook’s virtual reality platform, is experiencing outages, according to a tweet the platform posted.

It appears that the outage is caused by a DNS (domain name server) fail — this is the naming structure that forms the web’s infrastructure. So, if you try to navigate to facebook.com right now, the internet won’t know where to find facebook.com."

Full Article: https://techcrunch.com/2021/10/04/facebook-messenger-instagram-whatsapp-are-all-down/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
FA36eDeWUAg83V3

•••
“Today’s outage brought our reliance on Facebook — and its properties like WhatsApp and Instagram — into sharp relief,” said Brooke Erin Duffy, a professor of communications at Cornell University. “The abruptness of today’s outage highlights the staggering level of precarity that structures our increasingly digitally mediated work economy.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/04/technology/facebook-down.html

•••
•••
Well I think we can all agree that Facebook aren't the good guys.

Well everyone one knows it. What actually FB and twitter is. Sometimes I feels like that their majority populous aren't even real people. You can't argue with them through reasoning. Hell !! you won't be able to make a straight conversation. Even if you are lucky enough to create a meaningful dialogue. The moment you provide them with evidence that backs your argument. They will blatantly start calling you names.

I think people will get more productive work done today, maybe? :|

We can surely hope that !! Sir, can't we?!

Trumps' revenge,..or Putin (no difference). Search for:

"Stop Promoting Pedophilia or I’ll Crush You"

at duck.com

Ha Ha !! :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
•••
ok
facebook down
I don't understand how
but ok

now instagram down too
what does that mean?

why do the use the same system?

how stupid are they?

now whatsapp too?

thats ridiculous
what amateurs are working there?

somehow reminds me of a guy called rob
No. They're experts in their field running and operation so massive it's hard to imagine.

As for Rob, do you mean it reminds you of entrepreneurs?

•••
•••
You don't have to query namerservers for server IP addresses if you save IP addresses and domains of your favorite websites in each line to the hosts file on Linux based OS's such as Debian and Debian variants..
With this method you can't even notice if their DNS/nameservers are down.

If you are newbie take a backup of the hosts file, it's located in /etc directory. Then open hosts file and save IP addresses in this form with root privilege:
x.x.x.x example.com
y.y.y.y favoritedomain #1
z.z.z.z favoritedomain #2

That's it.

•••
You don't have to query namerservers for server IP addresses if you save IP addresses and domains of your favorite websites in each line to the hosts file on Linux based OS's such as Debian and Debian variants..
With this method you can't even notice if their DNS/nameservers are down.

If you are newbie take a backup of the hosts file, it's located in /etc directory. Then open hosts file and save IP addresses in this form with root privilege:
x.x.x.x example.com
y.y.y.y favoritedomain #1
z.z.z.z favoritedomain #2

That's it.

No, that won't help at all.

•••
•••
No, that won't help at all.

It always works for me.
Yeah I don't use social media sites. But that will not make difference. As long as their webservers are running on the same IP address in your "hosts" file, you can access all the websites in your hosts file without using DNS.

•••
It always works for me.
Yeah I don't use social media sites. But that will not make difference. As long as their webservers are running on the same IP address in your "hosts" file, you can access all the websites in your hosts file without using DNS.

No, there was a huge BGP problem.

Last edited:
•••
Blaming DNS problem is BS.
Let me explain how DNS work in English.
DNS is like a phone book - We know Jack but we don't know his phone number so we look for Jack in the phone book.
- Each Server has one or more IP addresses (for backup or redundancy)
- Here is what it looks line in the DNS server: Facebook.com - 155.23.4.55
-When we type Facebook.com in the URL the computer goes out and look for the IP address from the DNS server in order to locate where the server is.
- Your ISP will have a copy of the DNS (subset)
How many DNS servers do we have: hundred of them scattered around the world:
https://root-servers.org/
Because if we only have one DNS server and if the server is down then there is no Internet.

howdomainswork.png

So blaming DNS issues is nonsense.

Last edited:
•••
No, there was a huge BGP problem.

I wrote the way how you can completely bypass DNS.
If the issue is on DNS, the method I wrote above solves it perfectly.
It's a well known solution in Linux World.

If the webserver is running on the same IP in your hosts file, you can always access that server without DNS. But if the webserver (http server) is down, you can never browse those websites.

Last edited:
•••
If the issue is on DNS, the method I wrote about solves it perfectly.

If the webserver is running on the same IP in your hosts file, you can always access that server without DNS. But if the webserver (http server) is down, you can never browse those websites.

But it was not relevant for the Facebook outage, the topic of this thread.

•••
But it was not relevant for the Facebook outage, the topic of this thread.

The topic is DNS outage and I wrote the way how to bypass DNS. How is it irrelevant?

•••
If the issue is on DNS, the method I wrote above solves it perfectly.
And it's also a well known solution in Windows World :whistle:

•••
And it's also a well known solution in Windows World :whistle:

I didn't know. Because I don't use Windows. Thanks for the info.

•••
Windows is the same. You can have your own DNS server(s) for all the Servers in your network.

•••
I didn't know. Because I don't use Windows. Thanks for the info.
If you use Linux for desktop instead of Windows then you are in a way more stable and secure OS. (y)
Although Linux is mainly used for Server use, for its stability and security.

•••
I have moved to Linux 15+ years ago. I used Windows95, Windows7, Vista and now I have a windows10 pro machine. But I use my Windows10 machine once a year maybe less. It collects dust.

So I've forgotten my Windows days. Although I remember there was "Networks" in Windows, I can not remember it exactly. I remember how to set custom DNS in Windows. But I didn't know bypassing DNS is possible on Windows.

Last edited:
•••
. But I didn't know bypassing DNS is possible on Windows.
Almost the same root like Linux. .../.../etc/hosts and also the same format, 0.0.0.0 url

•••
Most people that use Cloudflare proxy their DNS entries through their service, so you never end up knowing the IP address you're actually hitting because they perform the request for you. This is how they provide protection to you using their network.

They probably have a similar setup at Facebook provided by another supplier or themselves.

This has the added bonus that if you change a DNS entry at Cloudflare it will take effect immediately instead of having to wait for the DNS TTL because they channel you to your back end.

Question: If this stops working properly is it a DNS problem? I guess not DNS in its purest sense, because there's other stuff going on, but it's still doing the same job...

•••
Back