Dynadot

discuss Extreme specialization in domaining... food for thought

NameSilo
Watch
I'm interested to hear from anyone who has ever tried to target a specific business sector in their domain business. Not just the sector you targeted, but the strategy going in, and the general results.

There are many threads at Namepros dedicated to showing off names in certain categories (cloud, VR, pot). I'm thinking more on the lines of brick and mortar businesses. Businesses that owners try and find unique and creative names.

The difference with these types of businesses is there's search volume to prove there are a lot of people out there looking for names. Not domains mind you, they're looking for a business name. They might not even be thinking about a website, but many will be.

Take bakeries for example. Lots of new bakeries open and close every year. Google suggests there are, on average, 1,000 searches each month for the term "bakery name ideas"

That's one term. If you add up all terms associated with someone searching for a bakery name it could be 10x as high. Now imagine operating a site that ranked well for most of those terms that prominently displayed your 50 to 150 available domains in that niche.

Most of these terms should be cake to rank for (pun intended). Sure, it would require some Wordpress skills and time to build but how nice would it be to have 30 or more highly targeted visitors showing up each day at your bakery name boutique when you have exactly what they're looking for.

There's already been a noticeable shift away form the domain marketplaces. Many are already doing this with brandable domain sites but that's a much larger category and much more competitive to rank for. I'm thinking a laser tight niche would open doors to visitors that could turn into a stream of buyers.

Although it wasn't my initial intent, I talked myself into it and went ahead and registered BakeryNameIdeas.com before finishing this post.

Even if you haven't tried this approach I'd like to hear your pros and cons. I get carried away sometimes....

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting thoughts. I am working on something similar using Writerville.com. My idea is a site that provides technical advice to help writers start building their "Writer's platform". These days if you want a big publishing house to pick up your book you have to have an established buying audience already in place. That means a website, a mailing list, social media presence, etc.

It looks to me like the technical advice specifically directed at writers is weak. The major bloggers in that niche seem long on writing and short on technical skills. It is early days, but I have started collecting domains I think might appeal to writers so I can offer them for sales to visitors who come to Writerville in search of technical help.

•••
Bill I agree with you entirely about the "business name" trend, I've been targeting it with mixed results using video and social media. Perhaps because doing so effectively would require a dramatic increase in inventory, but I think it can be done as you described it.

•••
@mhdoc I do see the similarities. They both bring visitors by offering benefits. Do you plan on offering services in addition to your advice and domains? Revenue is revenue after all. Your model offers many more possibilities. I can't offer a baker much more than a name and logo. :D

•••
I'm still sorting that out in my mind. At age 69 I am not really looking to grow a service business :)

I imagine I could sell leads at some point. I think there is also some potential for online courses. Courses would be closer to the totally passive income stream I am looking for.

•••
@mhdoc Thanks for sharing. I hope your project is a success.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back