Dynadot

Exact-match country and capital city .com's

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dodoma_com

Established Member
Impact
I already have a couple exact-match capital cities in the .com, e.g., Tegucigalpa (Honduras) and Dodoma (Tanzania). You might say three if you count New Alamein, the new "summer capital" of Egypt, which is a massive new mega-project on the Mediterranean coast.

However, I wanted to ask your thoughts on exact-match IDN countries and capital cities in the .com.

I now have Україна (Ukraine, the largest country in Europe after Russia), ঢাকা ("Dhaka" in Bengali, a city of 25 million and a global Top Ten megacity), Sénégal, Haïti, Lomé (Togo's capital), and Երևան (Armenia's capital).

I think the only way to do it is with a bold marketing strategy that does not shy away from the local language / script, but embraces the so-called "complication". Although people generally still don't know that IDNs function, many people strongly adhere to the national / ethnic pride of their language / script. This is particularly the case for a country like Ukraine, which is trying to promote its language and separate itself culturally from Russia.

Currently what I'm doing is using a traditional ".com" using Latin characters, "L'Europe", but the IDN addresses redirect to that. That way, it's easy to type the site, but I still get the extra prestige from everyone knowing that I do have those other identities, even if you didn't actually type them.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I own several ASCII nation's capital cities .com domains and for IDN I only have Malé(.)com, the capital city of Maldives. Malé is a tiny but crowded island with an interesting urban scene.

Last edited:
•••
A major benefit of .com comes from "nation-neutral" positioning when compared to ccTLD such as .de or .jp or .se etc.

Some Korean people may feel anger or resistance with a Japan .jp address (for example) that is absent with .com

Using .com for product sales can avoid local rivalries such as SE/FI or CN/JP or UK/FR etc. We might see Chinese characters from CN or HK or TW or JP or elsewhere which elicit different feelings depending on the suffix TLD. The .com also provides a more solid base for franchising.

Many IDN can be recognized or read in nearby jurisdictions or amidst global diaspora. Some French or Italian words, IDN, have become standard English vocabulary thanks to global food trends (for example) or migration of culture. Neither should Family names be mangled.
après
vérité
ॐ (the Hindu symbol OM)
López

Primitive internet required local texts be bastardized to ASCII addresses, but we know this is no longer true. In many cases the IDN.com makes good sense and may become highly valuable.

I own Česká.com - name of the Czech Republic in Czech language.

•••
Back