Dynadot

.EU domains are now blocked to non-EU countries

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

franjavier

ccTLDs Domain NewsNew Member
Impact
My registrar informed me that .EU domains can no longer be offered with Trustee Service, this means that .EU domains cannot be registered or owned by non-EU residents/citizens. This new rule applies to new and old .EU domains

The new rules are mentioned in EuroID.eu > News > Updated Documments

Changes will come into effect next 13th of October 2022

Has anybody received this warning?

Any ideas on what can be done to keep .EU domains running for non-EU residents?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Anyone that wants a quick link, the regulation can be found here:
https://eurid.eu/d/24423972/terms-and-conditions_en.pdf
...under 3. b.

I guess trustees might still work if a willing EU company (but not the registrar) shows up in the whois. It is still a guess however.

•••
<sarcasm>Looks like another move by those noted domain name experts in the European Commission.</sarcasm>

There are times when one would feel sorry for EURid having to deal with this rubbish. TLDs need to grow their zone files but the European Commission hasn't a clue about the Internet or that registrations from outside the EU/EA are actually votes of confidence in the ccTLD.

As a ccTLD, the .eu does not have as much sales activity as genuine large ccTLDs. The .eu ccTLD cannot afford to lose developed sites (I have no confidence in the web usage data it publishes) as it is very much a third choice TLD in the EU after the ccTLDs and .COM gTLD. A lot of its registrations are simply brand protection registrations and are have no developed websites.

Compliance with the new terms and conditions may be an issue for non-EU registrants as it would be trivial for EUrid to check the WHOIS data and identify clusters of non-EU/proxy/registrar registrations.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
My registrar informed me that .EU domains can no longer be offered with Trustee Service, this means that .EU domains cannot be registered or owned by non-EU residents/citizens. This new rule applies to new and old .EU domains

The new rules are mentioned in EuroID.eu > News > Updated Documments

Changes will come into effect next 13th of October 2022

Has anybody received this warning?

Any ideas on what can be done to keep .EU domains running for non-EU residents?

Yep...find a buddy who living in EU & problem is solved :xf.wink:

"As a ccTLD, the .eu does not have as much sales activity as genuine large ccTLDs" @jmcc

..but for sure is over .US but below .de , co.uk , .co so basic is on 4 position

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back