IT.COM

Ethics of staying quiet when newbies reg rubbish?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DomainGist

BigDomains.co.ukTop Member
Impact
I dip in and out of this forum, leave for 9 months, back for 6 etc. Most recently quit domaining and had a change of heart and started to rebuild.

But every time I come back here I see a few newbies hand-registering absolutely turgid rubbish by the hundreds or even thousands.I won't name any names here as it would look like an attack.

I know that some people just won't listen, and I see a few people trying to get them to stop, but these people are undermined by people who 'like' their reg of the day.

Lets be clear here, I'm not talking about 'subjectivity' here, but I'm talking about people registering domains with 3 hypens, or 50 character nonsense domains.

So two questions:

1. Do we have moral obligation to be straight with these newbies and tell them that they are registering rubbish, even if this is a thankless task and the person refuses to listen and even doubles down on what they are doing.

2. Is it ethical for experienced domainers to 'like' posts which seem to validate the newbies selections.

I look at some of these people with thousands of completely unsellable hand regs, and on one hand I do think that they probably play their part in keeping registration and renewal prices down for every domainer as these nonsense domains are part of the ecosystem and generate cash for the registry and registrars, but on the other hand these domainers could be in debt, or blowing money from family savings without their wives knowing.

I find it very difficult to see people spending like $7000 on terrible handregs without saying something.

One particular individual got very angry with me and suggested that he isn't rich enough to get domains from closeout, but a domain from closeout costs what... $25 including one year renewal, and this individual has hundreds and hundreds of hand regs from all sorts of extentions. So if they took their time they could build a decent port of say 100 closeout domains over a period of 12-18 months, that would probably cost them less.

Why do people ignore these newbies and let them waste their money, and more importantly why do some people seem to encourage this really self-destructive and damaging behaviour by pressing 'like' on red-widget8383eu.biz or whatever nonsense they have registered?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
As it's a public forum, no, but you didn't ask that.
As a newbie domainer I know descretion is a key factor in domainers reputation.
I don't want to discuss any domain names here, just to find out my whole conversation on top results for the given name.
This is the only reason I preffer PM conversations.
Can I PM you?

Last edited:
•••
I dip in and out of this forum, leave for 9 months, back for 6 etc. Most recently quit domaining and had a change of heart and started to rebuild.

But every time I come back here I see a few newbies hand-registering absolutely turgid rubbish by the hundreds or even thousands.I won't name any names here as it would look like an attack.

I know that some people just won't listen, and I see a few people trying to get them to stop, but these people are undermined by people who 'like' their reg of the day.

Lets be clear here, I'm not talking about 'subjectivity' here, but I'm talking about people registering domains with 3 hypens, or 50 character nonsense domains.

So two questions:

1. Do we have moral obligation to be straight with these newbies and tell them that they are registering rubbish, even if this is a thankless task and the person refuses to listen and even doubles down on what they are doing.

2. Is it ethical for experienced domainers to 'like' posts which seem to validate the newbies selections.

I look at some of these people with thousands of completely unsellable hand regs, and on one hand I do think that they probably play their part in keeping registration and renewal prices down for every domainer as these nonsense domains are part of the ecosystem and generate cash for the registry and registrars, but on the other hand these domainers could be in debt, or blowing money from family savings without their wives knowing.

I find it very difficult to see people spending like $7000 on terrible handregs without saying something.

One particular individual got very angry with me and suggested that he isn't rich enough to get domains from closeout, but a domain from closeout costs what... $25 including one year renewal, and this individual has hundreds and hundreds of hand regs from all sorts of extentions. So if they took their time they could build a decent port of say 100 closeout domains over a period of 12-18 months, that would probably cost them less.

Why do people ignore these newbies and let them waste their money, and more importantly why do some people seem to encourage this really self-destructive and damaging behaviour by pressing 'like' on red-widget8383eu.biz or whatever nonsense they have registered?

Thoughts?

Well, it all comes down to this:

You are free to give someone an advice
and
They are free to follow it or not.

As simple is that.

•••
@Maximinus if you’d like. No expectations though.

•••
Education costs, depends on how long it takes.

Cheers
Corey

•••
Next topic could be, "Ethics of staying quiet when someone offers you big money for a name so bad that you were about to drop it">:(

•••
I’ve got to admit... I’m exactly who you are talking about. You... Nailed... it. I have never bought a domain that I didn’t register myself. I feel like I’m riding a unicorn of imagination when I frenzy purchase 10 at a time with a timer!!! Then, like an ugly bar fly you sober up to the next morning I look at my stoooopid Domains and start whispering the song “eeiiifff I Could turn back time. Eeeiiifff I could fend eeehhhwaaayyy....” However, reading this website has provided me a little hope in the fact that I’ve been playing by some of the rules. Only dot coms. Create domains with a buyer in mind. And that’s it. Tell me if I’m wrong but (all .com) I registered AircraftUS, TrustedMoney, Skeighter, vaccine4kids, NovaVax, DangerousDaily, soundstreamed and a buttload more like it. I’m wondering is anyone else having good results registering? I just listed them yesterday for hundreds and thousands. Lol! I did. I’m learning a ton. Thanks.

So two questions:

Thoughts?

•••
I'm far from an expert on domain names and I have my fair share of "oopsies" that I purchased (along with more than a handful of sales - but this is far from being my main business), but sometimes I've definitely gone out of my way to point out when someone is just not barking up the right tree and is registering complete junkers, or sometimes I will get offered a domain via a request thread and I'll chat with them about it, or sometimes people will reach out for my opinion, etc.

Maybe I've been lucky, because they've always been very appreciative and I've made some friends with my bluntness.

Of course, as with any addiction, many gamblers won't be receptive to feedback about the money they are burning on their lottery tickets. They'll find ways to justify their wilful ignorance, and that's fine too - it's not my money going down the drain.

But I think it's nice to politely reach out and ask if somebody is open to feedback, without sending them virtiolic or very mean messages like the one cited above.

Last edited:
•••
The truth is that you're never gonna help people who doesn't want to be helped.

I've seen in expiring domain lists people who spent thousands registering thousands of same junk phrase in different variations and different extensions.

•••
The truth is that you're never gonna help people who doesn't want to be helped.

Wanting to be helped does not mean they will follow anything.

•••
Well, it all comes down to this:

You are free to give someone an advice
and
They are free to follow it or not.

As simple is that.

This whole thread was started after I was called out in a public forum thread. I made a joke that is totally unrelated to the theme of this thread.

It has nothing to do with me asking for or getting advice.

I am old enough and wise enough to know when to ask questions.

•••
@Reddstagg - seriously though did they register Reddstagg.com and then brag/gloat about it to you?

Pretty sad if true.....

•••
•••
You're a bit late getting to the party.

Oh, you were busy being unprofessional by registering Redstagg.com and declaring it in a public forum knowing that I am Reddstagg who owns Reddstagg.com.

Your post is of no consequence and as usual you bring nothing to the table. This helps no one and shows you up for your petty attitude.

If you are going to be smart and wise it is better to know the difference between words and syllables.

Your example has six words in it. They are not syllables.

They are only small words so it should be easy for you.

Say nothing or at least contribute something worthwhile.

I'm still here. Deal with it.

I suggest you block members who upset you rather than become confrontational and insulting the other party. It’s not a good look.

•••
Obviously...I knew that.
Obviously not......

You have edited the post to show it is 6 words when it originally said 5...... might seem petty, but editing posts can be done for nefarious purposes (obviously not in this case) so acknowledging any edits is good practice - imo

•••
•••
•••
Well, why don't you just go right ahead and rename the title of this Post..."Reddstagg...from Zero and back again - the first year"?

I'm so vain I probably think this post is about me.

Now, let me be clear from the start. If advice is good advice and well intentioned I will take it on board and be thankful that it was offered up. However, some of the advice that I have been given from the very start indicated that I didn't know what I was doing and that I would be broke by the time my first year of renewals came around. Well, guess what? I survived my first year and I'm still standing.

Only today, I was told..."

REDSTAGG, you are by far the worst domainer in the industry. Congragulations.

Actually, there is a wrong way and a right way. The wrong way would be buying and promoting the shittiest domains of all time and never making a sale, and embarrassing yourself by posting all the names you purchased...The correct way would be investing in names that might earn you some money.

It honestly looks like you buy names that are funny to you, instead of names that are valuable for one reason or another. How much do you want for Wednesdayeroo? I was thinking of making a site to sell Wednesdays on. Thanks.

How is that in any way constructive criticism? Believe me, I have received worse.

For wisdom is better than rubies, and all things that may be desired are not to be compared to it. Proverbs 8:11

Most of the time I will stand my ground and try to justify my decisions but at the end of the day why should I have to? What is constantly preached to me is that what I am doing is the wrong way. Who says so? What may have worked 10-15 years ago may not work today. There seem to be many new domainers making sales and I'd say some of them have a better sell through rate than some experienced domainers. Who has the right to say that what they are doing is wrong when clearly and statistically it is working for them.

Every few weeks there seems to be the same sort of response from some seasoned domainers. Now it seems they feel that they have a moral ethical obligation to stop me spending my own money doing something that brings me peace, experience and fun. Imagine if you were a golfer and every few weeks I stood behind you on the golf course and said that fifteen years ago no one used rescue clubs and none of that carbon fiber thingy or indeed over-sized putters and that you had to be a member of a proper club and practice several times a week. And then feck me...I turn up once a week in jeans and trainers and beat some of you. You'd be mighty pissed then I guess. The important lesson from my perspective is that not everyone has to conform to the status quo and maybe, just maybe, there may be another way to do something and achieve the same results.

I'm just into my second year so back off and leave me and all other Nwbie.com domainers alone and let us get on with doing things our way. Judge us at the end of the race not after one lap.

I'm sure that there are many domainers who jumped head first into the Libra trough who are sweating a bit as their domains' futures might be a bit turbulent for a few years. I admit that I have many different domains in many different extensions but to a degree this is through choice. My portfolio marketplace is my shop window and some of the domains that I have are the fluff. They make my store look full. Maybe I will never sell those but then again maybe I don't need to and I will let them drop at renewal time and replace them. I'd hate to be one of those people who keep on trying to sell betamax video tapes week after week without realizing that no one (not even Me) wants to buy their wares.

Apparently, there are double standards in this business too. You are advised that this is a long game and we should hold names for years if necessary but then I am derided time and again for not having sold any domain names. Well, sorry to dis-appoint some of you but although I have a large number of domain names I actually don't need the money and as such I don't I don't need to sell any domains. The majority of the domains that I hold now will be keepers for a couple of years to gauge any trends that may appear or dis-appear.

I will again weather the storm of renewals at the end of my second year and guess what? I will still be standing and I will still be doing my own thing. Some would call it innovation or thinking outside of the box. If I were a mouse and kept my mouth shut some might say the same as Richard Branson who states "How slim the line is between genius and insanity and between determination and stubbornness."

I am not as stupid as I look or as naive as some would have you believe. I went into this business with a plan and it is going quite well at the moment. I cannot just accept that someone can cast doubt upon my qualities and my determination and organizational ability and without knowing one single real thing about me judge me and condemn me without the moral or ethical right to do so.

Do I tell anyone what to do or when? No. Most people are competent adults and have managed to get through life without constantly being told the best way to do something. Maybe they just figured it out themselves.

Maybe some people should concentrate on what they do best rather than worrying about what I'm doing with my own money.

Regards,

Reddstagg

It wasn't specifically about you, although I do believe you are vain enough to believe that.

As per my op, I mention that every time I return to this forum there are people I identify as blowing huge amounts of money on unsellable domains. You may notice that my account is 11 years old.

I'll be honest though, as being anything other would contradict the theme of my thread, you would probably be the person I would currently hold up as the best example in 2020. You do have company though, and are only the latest in a long line.

The fact that the only person to like your post is the person financially benefiting from your domaining activity only serves to support my view I feel.

There are a lot of people who come to domaining, go on a hand regging spree and then realise they are doing it wrong. They then become ok domainers or run a mile and write it off as a bad experience. I don't see anything in your personality which suggests you will choose either of those paths, which are both equally wise, and I can't help but possess the human instinct to have a degree of concern about your welfare as a result.

Last edited:
•••
•••
@Reddstagg - seriously though did they register Reddstagg.com and then brag/gloat about it to you?

Pretty sad if true.....

They registered Redstagg.com with one d and two g's. I have been known as Reddstagg for at least the last 15 years and it is used as my main e-mail address.

They had the audacity to state that it was an experiment. The irony of the situation is that they have the made an issue out of my inability to register decent domain names or make sales and yet they have their version listed for sale for $4,000.

It is sometimes hard to tell who is new to the industry. Everyone knows that will never sell without hyphens.

You will know that I possess the ability to laugh at myself and not take things too serious. What I will not back down from is people throwing their weight around just because they can.

I was even talked down to by someone who used the title 'The Elders' and told that I should blindly respect them because they had been on NP for over 10 years.

Respect is a given until actions or words removes it.

•••
I suggest you block members who upset you rather than become confrontational and insulting the other party. It’s not a good look.

That is like saying that we should not encourage our children to confront the school bully but instead do nothing but ignore them. This is not the right message to send.

The other party started this so I will use my right of reply to confront them. If I step out of line The Mods can step in and regulate an adult discussion.

I do not want other people joining the industry to be swayed either way by me or other people just stating that someone is wrong because they are doing something differently.

I want to be able to present a reasonable and balanced argument about the way I choose to allocate my time, money and resources.

I'm still here.

•••
Brad,

It is trust me. The original thread was started literally minutes after I was accused of being the worst domainer in the industry. Naturally, I had responded as I had right to do so. There are a few references too about discussions I have had with the originator of this post. They even mention a domain containing the word red...coincidence...don't think so.

I think it would be decent of you to make it very clear that the person who started this thread and the person who called you the "worst domainer in history" are not the same person, just so everybody is clear on that.

•••
Oh I like @bmugford did not know this thread was about you and the op should have stated that in my opinion.

It wasn't about him, he should have the decency now to clarify that whoever called him the worst domainer in history (I don't know who that is) was not me.

•••
Obviously not......

You have edited the post to show it is 6 words when it originally said 5...... might seem petty, but editing posts can be done for nefarious purposes (obviously not in this case) so acknowledging any edits is good practice - imo

OK,

I admit it...I made a mistake. I said the example used had five words rather than correctly stating that there were in fact 6 words.

I edited the post to change my mistake.

•••
How was this thread aimed at you exactly?

If you look in the appraisal forum for instance there are endless terrible domains listed.

I don't see how this is targeting you.

Brad

He managed to convince everybody now that this thread was specifically targeting him, I think from the very first couple of lines in my OP it was very clear that it couldn't have been about a single individual who has only been a member since 2019.

Not afraid to admit that he's probably the best current example I could provide though, although only one more to add to a long list.

Last edited:
•••
Back