IT.COM

news Eric Lyon changes departments at NamePros

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I’d like to take a moment to thank everyone for all their contributions to NamePros over the years. It's been a rollercoaster ride with a lot of ups and downs, and I’ve really enjoyed it. If it wasn't for all of you, NamePros wouldn't be what it is today.

Since 2009, it has been a wonderful experience assisting all of you and shaking some of your hands in person at events/conferences/meetups. I hope to continue doing that as I travel around the United States with my family on the adventure of a lifetime.

However, in August 2017, my family experienced a tragedy of losing our house, cars, and worldly belongings to the Hurricane Harvey floods. Since then, my time has been more limited/restricted, and I haven't been able to dedicate as much time to NamePros as I used to. Fortunately, due to the great moderation team that we have in place, things have kept operating smoothly and most members haven’t noticed how much less I’ve been working. We have a great team of moderators who have stepped up over the past few months and kept this ship full-steam ahead and growing.

In addition to my time availability, I have received death threats from scammers we’ve caught over the years, and I’ve had people show up unannounced at my residence (even as late as 11 PM) recently. This may not have been as big of a concern when I was single; however, I have a wife and toddler now that do not need to be subjected to this type of safety hazard.

The majority of people that I’ve met online are professional, kind, and respectful. Unfortunately, it only takes a few crazy people (it only takes one, really) that get set off or caught trying to scam someone, and they could seek (and have sought) to harm me or my family.

It’s sad and unfortunate that I have to be concerned for my family’s safety based on previous experiences with troublemakers threatening, stalking, coming to my residence, using my family in their unfounded slanderous attacks, etc., but now that we are going to be traveling more in a motorhome, security is an even bigger concern for my family’s safety, especially since we are all in a smaller, confined area without as much protection (no concrete walls to safeguard us).

While I take it day by day in keeping my family safe and building/adapting to a new lifestyle for us, I feel that I should move from community administration to another department with a more flexible time schedule. This will allow my family and me to focus more on getting everything situated that we need to on our new life journey.

A change in atmosphere and departments will be good for me, and I'll be officially transferring from “Community Admin” to “Member Services” on March 23, 2018, to better reflect my current role and time spent working on NamePros. Fortunately, members won’t notice much of a difference thanks to our incredible team, and I'll still be here to help you and answer questions. I love NamePros, and I am not leaving you; I am just moving to another department that fits better with my hectic schedule, new lifestyle adjustments, and safety concerns.

With the above said, NamePros has decided to eliminate the single-person admin roll. For admin-specific matters, please use the Contact NamePros section, and for all other matters, our member services and moderator team (me included) will look forward to assisting you.

Thanks for understanding,

Eric Lyon

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I ran a good sized forum in the past and shut it down when I received similar threats. I had people show up at the door at night and I was concerned about my family. I shut the forum down with a 15k member base. It was an automotive forum and I could not believe people would threaten my family over a deleted post.

I know exactly how you feel.

Last edited:
•••
Crazy world we live in. Stay safe.

•••
I think we all understand Eric, I've certainly thought twice about even simple postings on Namepros when the mindset of the thread starter is clearly not in-balance.

be buggered if i'd want to be their editor or membership controller. Too many weirdos out there that think (and act like) domains owe them a living.

Last edited:
•••
I'm disgusted and sad to hear of what you have experienced. Noone should have to go through that.

I support anonymous admins to ensure noone else has to go through such an ordeal.

•••
There's attention seekers in all walks of life (yep and our internet has a lot to answer to/for) most are pretty harmless you can humour their looking for a 1,000 thread-reads etc. it's a shame some think domains are available for anyone to exploit with simple registrations being the entry level to a mindset that really takes years of learning and experience. I'm not sure 'Today' I would even enter the market if I wasn't there already

Last edited:
•••
Death threats? Show up at your doorstep? really? never knew this stuff happens. That's unfortunate. Good luck Eric.Be Safe.

•••
Death threats? Show up at your doorstep? really? never knew this stuff happens. That's unfortunate. Good luck Eric.Be Safe.

people invest thousands in domains, some without any real knowledge of what they are doing, particularly the ongoing cost. couple that with some sense of community betrayal and there is a big chance your dealing with unstable mindsets

•••
Good luck and keep safe. Build your life again and come back even stronger. :)

also, now that you are changing to Member services, we gonna get a new Admin?

•••
I've already missed you in the professional appraisal section. @Eric Lyon Don't think for a second we haven't noticed you spending less time around or we won't miss you in the future.
All Namepros staff are professional, thorough and selfless, BUT they are not Eric Lyon.
Enjoy your family, keep them safe and live!

•••

With the above said, NamePros has decided to eliminate the single-person admin roll. For admin-specific matters, please use the Contact NamePros Management section, and for all other matters, our member services and moderator team (me included) will look forward to assisting you.

•••
Death threats, Really ? Stay safe. And Thank You as i learned lot from you.

•••

Are you volunteering?

I'd vote for you (y)

•••
Shocking that people would go to this extent and actually track you down plus make threats at you and your family.

Sad that you have to deal with cr@p like this over and above your recent turmoil with Hurricane Harvey.

Hope this departmental move gives you guys some peace of mind and less stress/drama to deal with.

•••
•••
Thank you Eric for all your excellent work.

•••
Eric, you are not alone.
On the occasion I have had to deal with hackers, stalkers and pranksters because of something I posted on NP. But I never had someone show up in front of my house.
It's one reason why I value privacy online (which is not the same as anonymity). I never post publicly in my real name. I just don't make it easy for strangers to hit me.
It's nothing serious, but as you can see it's not just forum admins. Sometimes regular members can be a target too. The Internet is a battlefield where rules of honor do not apply.

•••
Are you volunteering?

I'd vote for you (y)
Why not? I’ll stand up and take it but I don’t think that’s how the new staff recruitment works on np.😜

•••
Thanks back.

Although I know that we live in a world of (thankfully indescribable beauty - but sadly also of huge) ugliness (meant is the behavior of "misguided" people), it's really shocking to read about death threats (?!), it's hard to believe what's going on in some people's minds...

All the best with your decision and may "the wisdom of the many" rule.

Last edited:
•••
sorry Eric, that you had to endure such violations of your peace of mind.

Good Luck with new role

imo...

•••
GooD LucK eric...(y) Respect increases for you:xf.smile:

Eric, you are not alone.
On the occasion I have had to deal with hackers, stalkers and pranksters because of something I posted on NP. But I never had someone show up in front of my house.
It's one reason why I value privacy online (which is not the same as anonymity). I never post publicly in my real name. I just don't make it easy for strangers to hit me.
It's nothing serious, but as you can see it's not just forum admins. Sometimes regular members can be a target too. The Internet is a battlefield where rules of honor do not apply.

very True

•••
Very troubling to hear this Eric. I am sorry you and your family have to deal with anything of this nature.
Be safe and take care. Thank you for all the contributions you have made.
There will be more, we all hope.

•••
I had no idea @Eric Lyon. I am shocked and disappointed that we live in a world that this would happen. I have not been in this community so long, but I already know of the central, positive role you have played in making NPs all the good things that it is. We all owe you a huge debt of gratitude. Know that the thoughts and concern for you and your family are shared by so many of us. Take care and be safe. And thank you.

•••
Wow, death threats? That is unbelievable... Good luck with your new role!

•••
Probably it is worth to claim a petition to the local police office ?

•••
Back