IT.COM

Epik pricing strategy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have one domain with Google Domain that's going to expire soon. I got email from Epik about my account been dorm, and some read some news about it is good and got 2020 vote. (ofc some negative feedbacks as well)

Plan to try it again. I noticed the registering price is good, also transferring price seems same as the registering, that currently in some kind of promo at $6ish. However the renewal price is crazy, 35/year

Is that how Epik doing business? Give you a cheaper first year and charge you crazy price for following years?

Renewing 2 years will likely allow me renew 4 years with Google Domain

====

Edit: Add this in case whoever comes to my post also want to know:

> $8.49 .COM renewals for NP members. Full-service and all-inclusive.
> $6.99 .COM transfer and registration promo is also in effect

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
FYI
I have 17 .com on-guard (2 LL , 3 LLL and 12 1word) & each LL cost $525/year, the rest of cost me $233.60/year.
To get a locksmith / sec & in-millisecond monitoring for a small fee s.a. $100/year + a-class 24/7 emergency phone number available - I would consider that a miracle.

IMO

Regards

Last edited:
•••
LOL,is it the same people complaining? Think!
Rob priorizes security and privacy above all.
Just see the fact they dont release sales lol!
Stop defering to client, Rob! xD Release all :xf.grin:many underestimating epik’s capabilities and respect for client. I mean you have their CEO!! For crying out loud. The others are too high & mighry to even post in “domainer”s forum.”

Go @Rob Monster ! :) Keep the innovation.

@Samer I think it's commendable that you're always so excited, and encouraging Rob not to give up (y)

In my case, I am constructively critical of most of the companies, products and services I use as domainer. No company is completely perfect, and there are ways they can improve from listening to their fans AND critics.

In my various postings on this forum you will most often see me bummed about services from registrars and marketplaces that I use myself. Those companies don't have to listen to me, and I appreciate that different companies have different business models and customer types.

Epik doesn't have to care about, or listen to my input, but I hope it helps to know why people decide to do business with the company - and why not. Epik listened to my suggestion about their .truth TLD, and changed the incorrect information on their website.

Wishing Epik all the best as always. It's not personal. I know Epik has a lot of good things too. It's just not my personal choice.

Last edited:
•••
A number of the posts in this thread have been reported, and I'm sure the moderators will be along soon to clean things up if necessary.

While I'm aware that Epik has a history of products and behaviors that have polarized the domaining community, I must say, I'm really not sure why this particular thread has drawn so much attention. People seem to be awfully keen to lash out at each other any time a thread involves Epik; it makes it difficult to discuss the merits of their products without people lambasting each other for being either an Epik fanboy or detractor.

Is that really necessary? This was just a question about pricing, a matter which was clarified within the first few posts. After that, it just devolved into people attacking each other for their historical opinions of Epik. Is there any chance we could avoid that going forward?

•••
Is this with Epik?

@ Another registrar.
I guess @E, you'll have to ask R.M. to do for you (isolate/sec DNs, sign doc, apply for VS lock, etc)

•••
This is a domainer forum. We have domainer prices.

Epik has special domainer prices for domainers who apply for such a discount with their forum name. I've seen people complaining about their privacy, because their full name was disclosed by Epik employees on this forum. No thanks?

The registrar I've started to move all my domains to (the one with the pink logo) maintains the same low prices for .com, and these prices are the same for everyone. They even come with comparable free features.

Last edited:
•••
FYI
I have 17 .com on-guard (2 LL , 3 LLL and 12 1word) & each LL cost $525/year, the rest of cost me $233.60/year.
To get a locksmith / sec & in-millisecond monitoring for a small fee s.a. $100/year + a-class 24/7 emergency phone number available - I would consider that a miracle.

IMO

Regards

Are you talking about registry lock? It is a service offered by Verisign that makes it virtually impossible to unlock the domains.

Brad

•••
If you call Epik up for telephone support I bet you find yourself quickly talking to a very polite and extremely helpful person based in the NA. I did it as a test.

That aint cheap to provide and is quite different from most other service providers in our industry. I know it's enough for many end users to pay an extra $20 or so a pop.

•••
Are you talking about registry lock? It is a service offered by Verisign that makes it virtually impossible to unlock the domains.

Brad

Including VS lock & + x registrar lock and their monitoring sys

•••
I personally won't pay $35 for renewal so I do partially agree with Brad. But I also see some awesome feature with Epik, so I am willing to give it another try.

If my business have important domain that need whatever lock and monitoring sys, I definitely don't mind paying extra for better sec and services. Don't forget MarkMonitor charge 50ish / COM. ofc it's not same level yet, but from what i read, it's close to and definitely better than GoDaddy. We'll see.

•••
In my opinion, Epik is solid.

•••
If you have a million dollar domain, $399 might not be big money.

•••
This is a domainer forum. We have domainer prices.

The "Forever Domain" service was promoted on a domainer forum for endusers....... ?? Or is it beneficial for domainers too? Please explain this promotion/pricing for domainer's benefit. Thanks.

lol.png

Last edited:
•••
Here is when i became epik member.
It’s been 4 awesome years, Missing out.!!@Rob Monster has been a man of his word since 2017, four years later, i love you, epik, Rob, & staff.
This thread is typical slander. they treat ALL NPers equal, less barrier to entry than hundred domains, or the “hostage tax” others charge.
Keep trying? @bmugford, @Frans especially
PS: See how INSTRA.com charges .com

“Free market”! Let epik innovate.!!!
Godaddy is the one, content with more than the next 10 largest, combined. -Go epik!
Love how they make me feel more valued than if i was Godaddy's shareholder :) A lot have personal against them, or conflict-of-interest
5C9CD1A2-6FCC-457C-8AB3-F6DB4E5A3F72.jpeg

Last edited:
•••
The only other registrar I can entrust my domains to is eNom, but it does not have Forever Registration.

•••
Forever Registration gives you a certain degree of insurance in case of a force major.

•••
In all honesty I believe that NamePros has had a hand in cultivating this negative dog eats dog atmosphere for the simple fact of being too lenient when it comes to people attacking each other, using foul language, or not abiding by the rules.

Indeed, it's tough. On one hand, we actually end up deleting more than many people think, and we're often criticized for being too strict. On the other hand, some people say we're too lenient, or at least too strict in the wrong places. It's not easy to find a happy medium.

I know that members here have a responsibility to report any inappropriate posts that they encounter, but the problem is that once those are reported there is no immediate action on the NamePros part to fix the situation and in many cases problems are left to simmer for days before they are addressed.

Sometimes it's difficult to intervene without causing even more chaos or wiping a whole thread. We don't like either of those options, so we're stuck standing on the sidelines.

it makes one wonder why there is not instantaneous action taken by NamePros when the situation clearly calls for it.

Why do you wait for days utill after all the lines are crossed before deleting inappropriate posts and issuing warnings.

Why let the inappropriate posts sit there untill they are picked up by the search engines.

Why not put a stop to inappropriate posts that break the rules immediately before they take hold and derail the conversation.

I think I can offer a concrete answer to those concerns. For controversial threads and topics, there are usually three points at which we can intervene:
  1. Immediately after the thread starts. If we know that a thread is going to be problematic, and we catch it very early, we can usually steer the thread in a constructive direction or close it before it becomes a problem. This doesn't happen often because it requires a team member to notice it quickly, sometimes within a few minutes of its creation. In the cases where we can pull this off, it's often because we've had prior warning that a thread was going to be created--or just sheer luck.
  2. In the heat of the argument. This is the worst time to intervene because everyone is angry and will very quickly redirect that anger at us for touching the thread. Furthermore, intervening at this point has the potential to cause continuity problems in the thread, and we don't want anyone to feel misrepresented, regardless of how angry they are. It's not really our place to take sides.
  3. When the argument fizzles out. This isn't the best time to intervene, but people are often so sick of the matter by this point that everyone can agree to let the thread rest.
I'm sure you can see why this isn't ideal. We're working on improving it, but it's not easy.

After all we know that you monitor certain problem threads constantly and continuously and so why is there a delay for you to take the right action.

If we've managed to intervene early and think we can guide the thread toward a respectful debate, sometimes this is possible, but it's rare. Even if it appears that we're monitoring a thread, it's far more likely that we're actually just receiving frequent reports.

•••
You make a stupid car analogy and I am being silly? LOL.

All .com renewals cost the same to a registrar. You are just trying to justify a 400% markup.

Actually, I like the analogy, I think it's the perfect one: both Corolla and Tesla work on the same principle and accomplish the same thing - they have an engine, 4 wheels and 5 seats, and will bring you from point A to point B; so will Tata Nano, too. The difference is, however, how comfortably and how safely will it be.

The same applies here - registration cost will indeed make you through one year of domain ownership with any reliable registrar, but it's everything else in your dashboard that makes the difference.

•••
I personally won't pay $35 for renewal so I do partially agree with Brad. But I also see some awesome feature with Epik, so I am willing to give it another try.

If my business have important domain that need whatever lock and monitoring sys, I definitely don't mind paying extra for better sec and services. Don't forget MarkMonitor charge 50ish / COM. ofc it's not same level yet, but from what i read, it's close to and definitely better than GoDaddy. We'll see.

I like Clarivate / MarkMonitor / but I can't trust the elephant in the cornfield. I would rather go with a small-mid, sec sophisticated and more human-automation powered registrar with the phone number vs chat/email support.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
Epik has special domainer prices for domainers who apply for such a discount with their forum name. I've seen people complaining about their privacy, because their full name was disclosed by Epik employees on this forum. No thanks?

The registrar I've started to move all my domains to (the one with the pink logo) maintains the same low prices for .com, and these prices are the same for everyone. They even come with comparable free features.

LOL,is it the same people complaining? Think!
Rob priorizes security and privacy above all.
Just see the fact they dont release sales lol!
Stop defering to client, Rob! xD Release all :xf.grin:many underestimating epik’s capabilities and respect for client. I mean you have their CEO!! For crying out loud. The others are too high & mighry to even post in “domainer”s forum.”

Go @Rob Monster ! :) Keep the innovation.

Last edited:
•••
Forever Registration gives you a certain degree of insurance in case of a force major.

it’s also cheaper if already regg’d max 10 yrs !

Thanks @Rob Monster and ❤️ epik

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Is that really necessary? This was just a question about pricing, a matter which was clarified within the first few posts. After that, it just devolved into people attacking each other for their historical opinions of Epik. Is there any chance we could avoid that going forward?

@Paul

Hi Paul, I hope everyone here including you can take a little friendly and constructive criticism,

We call ourselves a community, but then why is it that everyone here seems to be at each other's throats all the time,

At times it seems like there is so much animosity and anger amongs the members here that makes one wonder why should any decent domainer want to subject himself or herself to all that negativity by visiting NamePros.

In all honesty I believe that NamePros has had a hand in cultivating this negative dog eats dog atmosphere for the simple fact of being too lenient when it comes to people attacking each other, using foul language, or not abiding by the rules.

I know that members here have a responsibility to report any inappropriate posts that they encounter, but the problem is that once those are reported there is no immediate action on the NamePros part to fix the situation and in many cases problems are left to simmer for days before they are addressed.

I understand that there are hundreds of threads that need to be monitored, but we all know what most of the problem threads and posts are and it makes one wonder why there is not instantaneous action taken by NamePros when the situation clearly calls for it. After all we know that you monitor certain problem threads constantly and continuously and so why is there a delay for you to take the right action.

Why do you wait for days utill after all the lines are crossed before deleting inappropriate posts and issuing warnings.

Why let the inappropriate posts sit there untill they are picked up by the search engines.

Why not put a stop to inappropriate posts that break the rules immediately before they take hold and derail the conversation.

IMO

•••
Ask a rep from Epik to mark your account with NamePros pricing @robmonster etc

•••
$8.49 .COM renewals for NP members. Full-service and all-inclusive.

$6.99 .COM transfer and registration promo is also in effect

If you don't have that rate, just DM us and we'll assist.

Many free features included too: https://www.epik.com/free/

•••
$35/year is a joke if that is the stock retail price.

Brad

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back