IT.COM

Epik marketplace again..

NameSilo
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
.......buyers' contact info hidden now...

New "bug" in Epik marketplace.
They are hiding contact info of potential buyers partially or completely now.
Wondering if this is intentional. Probably intentional, or doing some experiments.

If intentional, this would mean, they want us to sell domains
only through their system, and they are trying to become less
accountable. (for example to allow room for artibrage).

If things go like this, everyone will have to build their own marketplace
to avoid 3rd party annoyance.

...and an old message typed but not posted yet (NP draft)..
The message below is from NP's memory, I typed it 2 weeks ago.

........................selling without listing? --------------

Epik told me I sold a domain for 3 figures.
I don't even remember owning it. I don't even remember listing it.
(Maybe I forgot to renew it, and they sold it (NL etc) , and made me a favor.)

I searched my emails, I don't have a record of listing it.
So I asked Epik, where is the record.
They referred to their tech team (meaning they couldn't answer it).
And still waiting for a response (after about 1 month).

I'm worried, maybe previous owner listed it, and it was sold
based on previous owner's listing.
How can I know.

I'm not talking about this particular sale. This is just an example.
I want to make sure we don't sell domains without consent.
There must be a record of it in a place accessible to the seller/owner.

They must add a link "my marketplace", where I can see my own
domains with a price. So I can check if anything was priced incorrectly
from time to time.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I praise and like Epik, but they want me to hate them obviously now.
They are hiding buyers' info to meet GDPR requirements. What a joke!
Buyers are giving their info knowingly. They don't have to give their full info.
Epik will get their info, but we can't although we are the owner of the domain.

Also (old thing), when a domain expires they land it at Epik for 30 days, and during that
time, they show contact form (or maybe also make offer option), saying "contact domain owner".
And when buyers send their message, that message goes to Epik, not to
actual owners, who can renew, and get full control in theory, ..only if they knew there is a buyer.
(and Epik should be happy with renewal, right?)
This means,..we would rather grab your domain after 30 days, while you are asleep,
and sell for full profit, not bother with 10 percent max. What else.
Not illegal probably, but not ethical either (because there is a lie there).
Despite this Epik was my favorite.
And instead of improving their
marketplace or answering obvious questions, they make it worse,
give more power to themselves, and less power to sellers/owners.

Dan and Sedo are hopeless also.
What remains: Efty?

Last edited:
•••
Use bodis inquiry form, and then you can decide which marketplace you will use to complete the sale.

•••
You aren’t going to avoid arbitrage no matter where you list. Its just a fact. Price with a figure you are happy with no matter who or why clicks that button.

Based on my own experience, Epik brokers are routinely combing whats at Epik and attempt buying for other parties. The other parties don’t want their id revealed is most likely.

•••
Add a fixed price, and forget about it? No. Because I want to know if there is a serious buyer, and whether that buyer has enough money to pay a "reasonable amount". A registrar shouldn't be a part of an arbitrage when domain is registered there. I don't even list domains registered at Epik elsewhere, hoping I can avoid arbitrage,..but in the new system, almost surely there is arbitrage. And all buyers will be Epik itself. Epik ignores almost everything recently, and this way they are hoping to avoid contradicting themselves. I was thinking, they needed time to improve things, and they would make a positive surprise. And now we see a very negative surprise.

•••
.......buyers' contact info hidden now...

New "bug" in Epik marketplace.
They are hiding contact info of potential buyers partially or completely now.
Wondering if this is intentional. Probably intentional, or doing some experiments.

If intentional, this would mean, they want us to sell domains
only through their system, and they are trying to become less
accountable. (for example to allow room for artibrage).

If things go like this, everyone will have to build their own marketplace
to avoid 3rd party annoyance.

...and an old message typed but not posted yet (NP draft)..
The message below is from NP's memory, I typed it 2 weeks ago.

........................selling without listing? --------------

Epik told me I sold a domain for 3 figures.
I don't even remember owning it. I don't even remember listing it.
(Maybe I forgot to renew it, and they sold it (NL etc) , and made me a favor.)

I searched my emails, I don't have a record of listing it.
So I asked Epik, where is the record.
They referred to their tech team (meaning they couldn't answer it).
And still waiting for a response (after about 1 month).

I'm worried, maybe previous owner listed it, and it was sold
based on previous owner's listing.
How can I know.

I'm not talking about this particular sale. This is just an example.
I want to make sure we don't sell domains without consent.
There must be a record of it in a place accessible to the seller/owner.

They must add a link "my marketplace", where I can see my own
domains with a price. So I can check if anything was priced incorrectly
from time to time.

Thanks, I was looking all over trying to figure out why I could no longer access my customer’s info.

•••
And do you know what Epik says now:

rephrasing:
"A fake inquirier would get your email if you send a direct email to them."

Pure insult to our intelligence.
This is like saying:
"we put you in prison, so you won't be victim of a car accident".
Previously they made GDPR the excuse.
Neither makes slightest sense.

They don't want us to know who the buyer is, so they can replace the buyer with themselves for a short time,
and do arbitrage. If there is a big pocket buyer, only they will know it, and we will
be happy with a "fair price" only, at the best (or won't be able to sell, and if so, who cares).

I wait and wait, hoping they would fix this intentional bug,
but no, they won't do it, they will do it for a few people
they have to like (did for one person so far).

I'm about to switch to another service.

Epik and Dan were fighting, and at that time, both looked ok,
and I was suprised why they were fighting. Now it makes lots of sense,
because neither is reasonable.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe I'm the only idiot parking domains at Epik.
"Everyone knew everything" long before this very negative action,
and I'm the unique target of this action.
So Epik won't fix it, others won't complain about it, and not care at all.

Where are all the Epik haters now. They are totally silent. There must be a reason.
Maybe they were successful replacing epik with a clone, so their job done, mission complete, nothing else to do.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe I'm the only idiot parking domains at Epik.
"Everyone knew everything" long before this very negative action,
and I'm the unique target of this action.
So Epik won't fix it, others won't complain about it, and not care at all.

Where are all the Epik haters now. They are totally silent. There must be a reason.
Maybe they were successful replacing epik with a clone, so their job done, mission complete, nothing else to do.

For me, it is when a domain expires for a time period before I renew, then this for sale page is shown. I would much rather the for sale page not appear if I can't see who is contacting me.

•••
Only thing that matters are dollar numbers. I don't care about buyers first name, last name, country, IP, phone number...
Know your domains and how much you want to get out of them.
Bodis used to show IP. I still use bodis.
Email and USD is enough.

•••
Add a fixed price, and forget about it? No. Because I want to know if there is a serious buyer, and whether that buyer has enough money to pay a "reasonable amount". A registrar shouldn't be a part of an arbitrage when domain is registered there. I don't even list domains registered at Epik elsewhere, hoping I can avoid arbitrage,..but in the new system, almost surely there is arbitrage. And all buyers will be Epik itself. Epik ignores almost everything recently, and this way they are hoping to avoid contradicting themselves. I was thinking, they needed time to improve things, and they would make a positive surprise. And now we see a very negative surprise.
You make alot of complaints about Epik. Why are you still there?

If you can’t understand that you should price your domain not your buyer there is nothing else to say except price all your names at end user pricing and you don’t have to worry who is doing what behind the scenes.

A “serious“ buyer can be a serious buyer whether he has $500 to spend or $50000.

•••
For epik, (and other registrars), "the best" scenario would be, when they get leads, they hide them from us,
and make a bargain offer, or "let the domain expire", so they can quietly grab it.
They made another major step in this direction with this action.
Another reason, why this thing is bad (both for us and for them): We get buyer's email , and communicate via email "offline" (outside epik), and still sell at epik (why go elsewhere, if domain is there, waste lots of time with checking email etc..). If we don't have their email, what happens: we respond to their message, they get an email and read our message, but can't respond, because they don't have an account yet.
I suspect Epik lost lots of money in crypto, and to recover it, trying to benefit from their users' domains, as the easiest solution. For example they can contact an enduser, make a deal, and offer 10 percent of it anonymously.
In the old system this was not possible, in the new system, anything allowed for them, and we are stupid slaves for them. Honest/fair business killed.

Why I'm at Epik..I'm complaining about landing pages and marketplace only.
I'm trying to make epik a better place (same is true for other marketplaces). I'm helping them, but
when they make things worse instead of making them better, then
bad possibilities come to mind. I seriously think current RM might not be the same as the
"previous" one. He might have been chippied, cloned etc.
Epik haters disappeared, why, maybe "their registrars" are doing the same (or worse).

I suggested logical midway solutions, and their ignorance
makes our suspicions more strong. They "upgraded"
one user's account only,..but not mine (maybe because they are not scared of me enough).

"Dollar amount" is not the only thing that matters.
I rejected 7-8-9 figure offers without thinking.
Getting leads, and handling them well, is the whole thing.

Last edited:
•••
Also trying to keep liking Epik! So many great features, but suddenly hiding this inquiry info is a slap. I use the email address and phone for research and for negotiation of course. Now I have neither. To assume the emails through the system get through is assuming too much. I find multiple offer notification emails FROM Epik in my spam folder! If my emails received are getting hidden in spamfolder, how many of my replies get the same treatment. With a telephone number (freely given by the inquirer) at least I can follow up with a call or text. Epik won’t negotiate on my behalf…… will they?

I doubt the arbitrage/intercept angle, but do think that they are obfuscating to keep the transaction on their platform. Sad thing is that I WANT to use their transaction (excrow) services.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back