NameSilo

Epik Had A Major Breach

Labeled as alert in Warnings and Alerts, started by Silentptnr, Sep 14, 2021

Replies:
Views:

1. Future Sensors

Future Sensors 78% of human domainers will be replaced by robots Gold Account

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. JordanH

JordanH Established Member

Me being one of the ones who only had an epik account due to purchased domains.

3. Chris Hydrick

Chris Hydrick Account Closed (Requested) VIP

4. Future Sensors

I see. I think the CEO is easily impressed and doesn't know what's going on within the network, really (or does not care). I noticed this in some technical threads on namepros earlier.

upload_2021-9-20_4-18-9.png

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  5. pchip

pchip Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

This one is pretty messed up if they stored failed login attempts in plain text. I'm no security expert but a lot of this stuff seems like common sense stuff of what not to do.

We've all probably done this from time to time so certainly concerning, especially if the data goes back 10 years.

6. Future Sensors

"Our engineers believe the hack is of an aged remote backup, not of Epik's core production."

Do these engineers still believe this?

Was all data indeed from a backup, including the many historical .ovpn files?

7. MadAboutDomains

MadAboutDomains Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I saw the Twitter bio... I clicked away 😆. Has all you need to know.

8. HappyW

HappyW Collector VIP

I left EPIK and DYNADOT at the beginning of 2021 because of concerns about data security and personal privacy.
    EPIK's login structure is so large that it's unusual for the same account to be able to log into multiple projects. They are just a registrar now, but it seems that their desire is to create a full ecological platform. When your aspirations are too big, something is bound to go wrong.

9. marijuanadomain

marijuanadomain Established Member

Because of Epik-I am suffering from Domain PTSD, lack or no sex drive, loss of appetite ,loss of hair, loss of enjoyment in life, pain and suffering.....sleepless nites and excruciating frighten nightmares that my domains gone vanish....and worst still in this unprecedented ( I bet you have heard this word unpreceded billions of times already) times, it has excruciated my pain....

lawsuit $$$$ for my domain therapy....

10. Mr. Deleted

Mr. Deleted Slabaugh.com 800-266-2728 VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I wouldn't admit to that.

11. Beezy

Beezy Top Contributor VIP

WOW.

12. Beezy

Beezy Top Contributor VIP

The thing that everyone accuses every registrar of doing, logging your searches, Epik WAS PROBABLY DOING THAT?

We'll see.

No conspiracy theory.

13. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I'm starting to think that Epik should better sell the business asap. With all domains/accounts migrated to another registrar. Bulk domain transfer in such a case would be free (if approved by ICANN I think? needs to be rechecked...) Since Epik was reported to Visa/Mastercard, as some twitter posts suggest, it is far from obvious that their merchant accounts would not be terminated by credit card systems. But, a registrar cannot run accepting crypto and wires only, CC is a must. The problem here is that no registrar would want to receive a number of "toxic" domains (or customers) Epik currently has...

14. MasterOfMyDomains

MasterOfMyDomains Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Have Joey's twitter accounts been closed now? Cant find the ones in your screenshot, one says suspended.
    https://twitter.com/yourdaddyjoey

15. kam

kam Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

It's NOT TRUE. Some people just make up a story to make the situation worse.
    According to the Database Schema
    https://pastebin.com/1bLEm78G

The domain_history table was just a list of data contains the operation history of domains. Including the history of unlock domain, change nameserver, set url forwarding etc.

(Above Pastebin link is refer to this post: https://www.namepros.com/posts/8400013/)

16. carob

carob Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Parler featured on NP before:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...and-rob-monster.1128748/page-119#post-8115083

https://www.epik.com/blog/parlerstatement

Gab.com was booted by Godaddy and went to Epik, bringing controversy with it:

https://domainnamewire.com/2018/11/05/rob-monster-explains-why-he-accepted-gab-com-domain-at-epik/

https://www.namepros.com/threads/so...y-24-hours-to-transfer-or-suspension.1107245/

17. .X.

.X. In God I Trust VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

My Question is.... As most of these sites left Godaddy for Epik .... where there other hosts that they could have used aside from epik ?? The controversies seem to revolve around Godaddy giving the boot to these sites

18. Samer

Samer Restricted (15-30%)

twitter bio says “Founder of # Anonymous (yes that one)”

This is why you’re my favorite # websleuth.
    RIGHT to the source! Didnt know that easy.

Probably a mediocre fallguy who doesnt know the meaning of Anonymous. enjoy “fodder” 😉

Samer

19. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I am considering downloading this DB. I'd like to know what exactly is there about my domains, such as whois records of non-epik domains... or something I might purchase @ namejet many years ago ...

The issue I am experiencing is the following: Rob disclosed in video that there are now curses on this dataset.

Ref:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsa_diNura

(just an example)

I'm just a domainer. Not an exorcist.

Any recommendations (or references to external sources) to remain safe?

20. carob

carob Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

https://dnprotect.com/

That may or may not cover curses and data breaches - you'd need to ask the company providing the service, namely Epik.

21. DirkS

DirkS Dutchman.info VIP

Just so you know:

22. karmaco

karmaco Top Contributor VIP

I pressed them and they auto approved. I disagree its good to wait a week. I have 2Factor on and zero reason to not approve my request. One of the names I sold. Not telling my customer to wait a week 🙄

23. Future Sensors

When so many different data sets were managed and preserved in this way, it may have been a design choice. The other option is ignorance, I don't know which one is better.

24. eternaldomains

eternaldomains Established Member

Just reporting that my 1st batch of Masterbucks withdrawal (100) is successful. As for amount, for this round it's lower, probably due to crypto dipping yesterday, so I won't complain.

25. Windoms

Windoms Top Contributor VIP

Damn.
    My safe and cherished email that I dont even use for paypal or NPs is now compromised, on 1 single website: epik.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice