alert Epik Had A Major Breach

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, those that achieved a hack may have more on their hands to deal with than they might expect.
The mean streets run two ways...

From the article in the link: "I have not independently verified the veracity of the claims, nor reviewed the large file the hackers released."

Nothing like good old fashioned reporting...at least the person 'reached out' to Epik.

News media often releases breaking news almost in real time and makes the statement that the story is in development and will be updated as more details become available.

I have nothing against Rob but the big mistake that he made was mixing between business and politic.

Indeed. Strong held beliefs should never enter the business world. Rob turned Epik into a movement or a cause in his image.

OMG, really?

There is only one wrong here and that is the hackers

Are you telling me that if you disagree with a business they deserve to be hacked?

Some hackers consider themselves hacktivists. It sounds like this is the case here. The reality will come out in how the information hacked will be used. But you should change passwords on all other services you use to login as well.

•••
News media often releases breaking news almost in real time and makes the statement that the story is in development and will be updated as more details become available.

Not sure about your education or experience, but I minored in journalism. I will admit it was a while ago, but we were taught not to 'speculate' about a story...breaking or not.

•••
I changed my password. I would suggest everyone do the same.
Website is running slow and there is still no answer from Epik stuff to this thread. This may only mean they are still under attack.
I am not sure changing passwords and/or transfering domains(unlocking) is a good idea in such situation.
Let's wait and see!

Last edited:
•••
A few hours ago I was in LiveChat regarding this slowness - their representative didn't confirm any known issue and just escalated my request...

•••
To people like this that genuinely think they're on the right side or have a virtuous position because of some opposing "beliefs" that they think are "more correct" I do feel sorry for you... It reflects more on you than it does anyone else. I'm assuming that this is where you're coming from and not just that you want them to fall cause you had bad customer service or something...

The hackers are not in the right, they're not virtuous, they are more scummy than how they see those they purport to be attacking and if true they're affecting lots of people that also don't deserve it. It's clear from the stupid little message that they left how ideologically driven they are.

I feel sorry for you as this is your reaction to this, you're not a worthy member of a nice community like this imho where you are amongst those that will be affected. Revelling in other people's misfortunes is not a good look.

Thank you, SIR!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
The lack of any response by Epik is troubling, even a basic update on what is going on.

I understand if things are going on behind the scenes, but you have (37) Epik staff members on NamePros.

A basic "We are aware of the reports and are researching the situation" or something similar is needed.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I just changed my login and financial info very easily. No slow downs.

Let's wait it out and see if legitimate before cancelling

•••
Hopefully we will soon have some information from Epik.

The site is slower than usual, perhaps simply because a lot of us are doing things, but fully operational it seems. I was able to get in and change my pw, remove payment means, as well as do some other things such as landers, marketplace listings, and domain transfers, without issue.

Thank you for alerting us to the situation @Silentptnr and all who have provided information.

While their main stated goal seems to be to damage Epik and identify those behind certain websites for political purposes, if it is true that they have what they said, it is important at the very minimum to change pw asap so domains cannot be moved (although 2FA would make that difficult I guess?)

Bob

Last edited:
•••
No problem accessing the site from Australia.

Cheers
Corey

•••
Passwords are encrypted so hacker would not be able to see your password.
I would not touch the account if things are still going now.

•••
Looks that all comments are prohibited for their team until official statement from Rob...
Black day definitely...

•••
What's wrong by saying to the members and the media people "We are aware of the problems and working with security people to solve the problems"?

•••
sounds like Tall poppy syndrome to me

Cheers
Corey

•••
FWIW - I was able to successfully transfer-out some domains just now.

Hopefully it's a false alarm. It's certainly unnerving not knowing. Thankfully I don't have a lot of domains there anymore.

•••
As someone above said due to encryption, and add that to 2FA, there is probably not much to worry about. I've got hundreds of domains there and I'm not too concerned.

Also, as was said above, it would likely be best not to attempt a log on...just in case. I agree that, at a minimum, an email should have been sent to account holders unless some sort of public statement was made (I can not seem to find one yet).

Last edited:
•••
i just removed my credit card and changed password

same but if this is all true. Our info can be used to gain access to credit card yes? Isn’t that the usual worry about a Data breach?

Does that mean I need a new debit card?

•••
Stay tune and don't get panic:
1. Do not access to your account unless you HAVE to
2. If someone use you credit card then you can call to cancel and will not be liable for fraud transactions - unless you use Debit card then it will be a different story
3. Your password is encrypted even IT people or Epik staff would not now so there is no need to change password now
4. Wait for the official news from Epik

•••
epka.jpg

read more

•••
I suspect that law enforcement as well as security teams (external as well as internal) might be advising any and all moves by Epik atm - including the perceived current policy of not commenting on the matter.

•••
It looks like it really does include DNSSEC private keys (assuming the dump is legitimate). I had a peak at one of the files in the torrent. Prepare for potential DNS hijackers if you have any site with Epik (unless it is a very sophisticated hoax).

•••
The site is slower than usual, perhaps simply because a lot of us are doing things
So their infrastructure is not ready to serve even own customers?
We are like true DDoS for Epik???

I don't think so...

•••
I don’t have an Epik account myself for various reasons, 1 of them being the potential of things like this happening with a company that generates a lot of controversy.

I can imagine how this can be potentially worrying for people with Epik accounts and hope for everyone that it is nothing, but data protection is very serious and if there is a breach Epik should alert customers to this breach and what information is in another party’s hands by law, not dismiss it (article that @Lox posted).

All countries have adequate data protection laws, but I know GDPR is very strict on it:-

https://gdpr-info.eu/art-33-gdpr/

Last edited:
•••
This attack might be coming from inside, or it may be deeper than what most people think.

Last edited:
•••
This is not the way to handle a potential crisis. The complete lack of updates in 10+ hours just creates a further crisis in confidence.

Far be it from me to tell Epik how to run their business, but I don't think radio silence is a good look.

Brad

•••
I don’t have an Epik account myself for various reasons, 1 of them being the potential of things like this happening with a company that generates a lot of controversy.

I can imagine how this can be potentially worrying for people with Epik accounts and hope for everyone that it is nothing, but data protection is very serious and if there is a breach Epik should alert customers to this breach and what information is in another party’s hands by law, not dismiss it (article that @Lox posted).

All countries have adequate data protection laws, but I know GDPR is very strict on it:-

https://gdpr-info.eu/art-33-gdpr/
Here in the UK a company would need to report it to the ICO within 72 hours and would need to inform their customers - not sure what they have to do in the U.S - are they legally required to notify anybody, including customers?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back