domains Epic bidding war ends at $105,156 for Alcove.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Quite the bidding battle over at DropCatch for Alcove.com. The domain name closed at, The domain name was registered in 1996 and owned by a French company, The Hidden Alcove. In French it’s written, alcôve. The auction was a tug of war between ZeeDomainer and LegalMarketing (Braden Pollock). At $103,000 a third participant entered LuxTea. […]

Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I watched this auction just for fun since I love this name. Somehow, I managed to not check after 49K and was wondering where it ended. So, thanks to @equity78 for the post. I feel this name is more than just the first obvious meaning, 'recess'. It describes a 'niche' and that can be used for anything. Yes, it still went for way more than I would have imagined.

The old website was being used up until 2019 if I check on archive.org. Makes me wonder why people would abandon great names under normal circumstances :xf.confused:. Even if they are uninterested in selling a domain from a monetary perspective, they could very well sell it and donate the proceeds to charity! Otherwise, it is a donation straight to one of the major drop catching services.

The reason why I was following that domain was rather silly! I happen to have this hack, al.co.ve which I love. It is the only single-word hack possible in the .co.ve extension! And Venezuela doesn’t allow registrations of .ve domains directly which means there can be no alco.ve. I hunt for keyword domains to match my hacks :xf.grin:. Yes, that is an upside-down approach. As a kid, if I got a nice key-ring, I'd look for a new bicycle whose keys I could fit in it.

Last edited:
•••
ok five days have passed the sale got reported to namebio does that mean payment was made ?
whois shows pending delivery

•••
It's obviously a quality single word .COM, but for (6) figures reseller I am not seeing that.

Brad

•••
I think the winner was drunk and that the name will be re-auctioned :ROFL:

•••
So, any word on what happened to the domain? The pending delivery status has changed and the domain is with DropCatch. Does that mean a re-auction?

Last edited:
•••
the domain shows namebright lander :o i guess it was paid for ?

Last edited:
•••
Oh! My fault. By default my browser was trying to open a secure connection and that lander never opened. Also, I noticed the name servers in the Whois were shown to be those of Dropcatch so I assumed.

•••
I wonder if it was posted for sale on here what it would get? 150 bucks?

•••
I wonder if it was posted for sale on here what it would get? 150 bucks?
I would pay (and I bid) well into the five figures for the domain name.

That is not too much to take a name into six fig territory WHOLESALE.

E.g. I have Elix.com with 87 extensions regged and thousands of names using it as part of their name.

Checked few other of my 4L and other domains and many have comparable/better numbers.

The meaning is not a top-notch either as "recess in a wall". Definitely, overpriced. Fair wholesale value would be $10k to $25k.

It does have good DA at 30, but that could add $1k-3k to its perceived value.

I was willing to pay more than your fair wholesale value. it may not be a super common term, but it's a recognizable word, easy to spell, and it has a generic meaning with a neutral connotation. I wasn't going to pay six figures for it, but I would have happily bought it as an investment it at my high bid, which is above your valuation.

Last edited:
•••
I'm wondering whether or not they'd buy the same domain for $100k, had the original owner set the BIN before expiration :-/

This is not just about marketing (getting the domain known to the potential buyers) or the value of the domain itself or even just an impulse buy - FOMO also plays a big role in these cases. That's why a dropped domain gets sold in high $$, even though it remains unsold for a long time with a much lower BIN.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back