Entire GoDaddy account repossessed!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LordMomo

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone,

Really in need of some help here...
So I changed payment methods about a week ago at GoDaddy. A day or two later I got an email from their Verification Office requesting that I submit some additional documents:
ID, Bank Statement showing latest transaction, Back and Front of card.

I did so.

Since I received that first email, my account has been locked. I get an update a few hours ago (after submitted all documents) saying that my account has been reviewed and is not eligible to be unlocked.

Around the same time I see the WHOIS on my domains being updated to [email protected] and I have still been locked out of my account.

In all honesty, I have done nothing wrong, and I am unable to speak to someone regarding the reinstatement (I only get computerized responses and the Call center can do nothing). :banghead:

Does anyone know what I can do as I have spent a lot of money on some of the domains in that account (it is my primary account)?

I would really appreciate any advice.

Momo

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The ID and payment was done through my Daughter's account

Could be because you used your daughters name and ID and it did not match the other details.

This could have been a "red flag".

Also, being from another country outside the US.

I've had similar issues when dealing with registrars outside my home country.

•••
Yip I'm sure the problem is in the fact that I didn't use a payment method that's in my own name. But I don't understand why they processed the payment if this was a red flag. Transaction went through on 17 Jan. Received first correspondence from them on 19 Jan

•••
Yip I'm sure the problem is in the fact that I didn't use a payment method that's in my own name. But I don't understand why they processed the payment if this was a red flag. Transaction went through on 17 Jan. Received first correspondence from them on 19 Jan

The transaction was automatic.

The review of the transaction came later.

•••
I noticed you mentioned in another thread that you used to engange in shill bidding.

You sure this was your daughters ID and not someones you bought from a hacker?

Frankly when someone says they shill they lost all credibilty on my book. So probably godaddy is making a wise move in this case.. Or?

•••
Can you involve ICANN in this?

•••
I noticed you mentioned in another thread that you used to engange in shill bidding.

You sure this was your daughters ID and not someones you bought from a hacker?

Frankly when someone says they shill they lost all credibilty on my book. So probably godaddy is making a wise move in this case.. Or?
I said that that was what used to occur in share trading when I was active in the market. I was using a metaphor to explain the likeliness between shill bidding on domains and pushing up the price on shares (which is legal and done by many market makers). I have never done shill bidding nor have I even sold domains on auction. I always sell via Make Offer on Sedo/Afternic or via email inbound/outbound.

I really don't appreciate the unfounded comments on my character...

Last edited:
•••
Unfounded?

That something is legal does not make it ethical. People that surf that line are more likely to cross it. So I dont see it as unfounded. I guess you just spilled the beans without thinking about it.

And no, you did not just say it used to occur. You said you did it..

Well the 1.5mil bid is a bit unrealistic but the idea is that you bid it up and then as soon as a legit bid beats your top bid, you drop it on them. Thereby selling for much more than you would've gotten.
Used to do this in share trading:xf.rolleyes:

•••

That's a resonable time-frame, in my book.

•••
Thanks for the responses everyone. It has given me some hope.
My daughter would definitely be willing to sign an affidavit or whatever to state nothing fraudulent occurred.

I honestly have done nothing fraudulent unless changing payment methods can be construed as such.
I hope @Joe Styler can help. I have PM'ed him as well. I'm sure he is busy currently

As Stub mentioned,
If there is a mismatch between the account name and name on the credit card, this could be enough for them to lock your account.

This could be all there is to it.
Cheers

•••
I have used my father's credit card for a long time, on GoDaddy and other registrars, obviously the account name is different then the name on credit card but thankfully my accounts have never been locked.

•••
Being your daughter or anyone else, you probably should have presented a power of attorney
(or like legal instrument).

And if there is a dispute with that persons credit card and anyone not listed as a user of the card is using it, well, I can see all kinds of potential issues here.

If GoDaddy or anyone else is faced with a chargeback, they have no choice but to hold the assets until the situation is legally clear.

Good Luck.

•••
I have used my father's credit card for a long time, on GoDaddy and other registrars, obviously the account name is different then the name on credit card but thankfully my accounts have never been locked.
Well if someone opens a new account, and thise things start popping up, and they have few domains then they have to risk assess the account.

•••
•••

I think you read that wrong. It says "it is around one-tenth of a percent of our entire portfolio."

Meaning 1/10th of 1%, not 10%.

•••

Maybe to-date, you just been lucky? and run under the radar :) You haven't been asked for document verifaction yet? Which would you send? Your's or your father's?

•••
I think you read that wrong. It says "it is around one-tenth of a percent of our entire portfolio."

Meaning 1/10th of 1%, not 10%.

I'm not sure how many domains GoDaddy has for registration, but 1/10th of 1% of 50M registrations is 50,000 domains. Sounds like a lot to me :)

Last edited:
•••
Maybe to-date, you just been lucky? and run under the radar :) You haven't been asked for document verifaction yet? Which would you send? Your's or your father's?

I have never been asked for any verification, yet. Neither from GD or any other registrar. I sometimes use my card and sometimes my father's card, whether it's a new reg, expiring auction payment, or account funds.. and I am from Pakistan. I guess I am lucky :xf.grin:

•••
Godaddy are famous for their shoot first, ask questions after approach. They have twice threatened to lock my account over trivial things where the threat was overkill - once it was an overheated support person who did not like a factual question I asked about a free service they supplied.

But actually several times I have used my card to pay for domains in someone else's account when they could not. I wasn't sure it would work since the card address and the account holder's billing address were different. If it had failed I would have tried Paypal.

But if Godaddy do not want you as a customer that does not automatically give them the right to take away domains they have accepted payment for - instead they could let you transfer them out, then close your account.

If they have not cancelled what you paid for you could start a credit card dispute or chargeback.

Last edited:
•••
I have never been asked for any verification, yet. Neither from GD or any other registrar. I sometimes use my card and sometimes my father's card, whether it's a new reg, expiring auction payment, or account funds.. and I am from Pakistan. I guess I am lucky :xf.grin:

Yep. I agree with your last sentence :)

•••
If they have not cancelled what you paid for you could start a credit card dispute or chargeback.

I woudn't do this until the last moment when they are definitely not going to re-open the account. Then Whammo! Funny. I didn't even think about that in my case. But I would have done the same, if I'd thought about it. Fortunately, it wasn't needed ;)

•••
I woudn't do this until the last moment when they are definitely not going to re-open the account. Then Whammo!

Yes that really is tne nuclear option and you would leave with a bang, definitely last choice.

Godaddy have a lot of weird clauses letting them cancel a domain if they want to and defining all sorts of normal email as spam, but I don't think ICANN would like them mass grabbing domains especially since with their in house market they could be doing it to re-sell them.

If it is your name in the WHOIS then ICANN rules let you force transfer even if the account is locked.

Here is a similar case at another registrar who, when pressed, let the suspected customer at least transfer out: https://forums.digitalpoint/threads/dynadot-is-not-giving-epp-they-stole-my-domains.2155566/

Last edited:
•••
Have we had a response from GD yet. I'm thinking of moving my names, and I moved one to GD as an experiment. These threads raise some concerns, I'm fed up with registrar problems. I need to find one who will let me register names, and not try to steal them, or to raise all sorts of problems that don't seem to be relevant to their use. I've got a lot of things to sort out in my life, and I don't want to have to spend non-productive time in clicking hundreds of redundant links, or having to check name registrations on a daily basis. Registrars seem to be keen to spam clients these days, and often important mail can be lost in the spam bin.

•••
Update:
Still no response from GoDaddy.
Started a credit card dispute as the goods bought were not delivered. Bank assures me that most funds spent in last 3 months will be recovered.
However, the issue is that I had some domains with them that I believe to be valuable. I will only be able to get these domains by buying them back when they expire (if not sold to someone else by then).

•••
move out immediately!! Imagine you bought a valuable domain and manage it with godaddy because they are supposed to be large and secure.

Then some problems with payment arise and you lose your domain. What are they doing with repossessed domains? Auction them off maybe?

Last edited:
•••
Started a credit card dispute as the goods bought were not delivered. Bank assures me that most funds spent in last 3 months will be recovered.

I thought using your daughter's credit card was a one time usage as your card recently expired? Or are you talking about card disputes on your own card? Either way, hope you get this straightened out.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back