IT.COM

advice End user waiting to decide on purchase

NameSilo
Watch

Arfy

Shrew.comTop Member
Impact
Hey Everybody!

I have recently received some interest from a potential end user in a premium domain name that I own. The end user looks to be a small-medium sized business and after very limited outbound marketing (have had no time do any and not sure how to, but will learn soon) they asked me for a price.

Their opening offer was pitiful at a low XXXX and I sent an emailing explaining that this was far too low and that domains of this calibre regularly sell for 6 figures and provided some details on recent sales as well as how the domain will help their company.

I received no reply and followed up again to see if they wanted to make an offer but they again gave a low ball offer.

The third time, I simply said that the absolute lowest we are prepared to take is $XX,XXX (very high 5 figures). The CEO is now saying that he wants to think about it and also asked me how transfer of ownership of the domain name would work. This sounds like he is becoming more interested at this price point.

My response was that there are 2 options, one would be for him to create an account at where the domain is registered currently and that I can simply push the domain into his account and he will have full ownership of the domain. The second option would be for me to generate an AUTH code and he can initiate a transfer at Godaddy (where is currently domain is) using this code and the domain will be transferred into his Godaddy account. I provided a bit more of a detailed explanation around the both.

I then mentioned we should use Escrow.com to facilitate the process of payment and domain transfer to protect both buyer and seller and explained that I only get paid once he gets the domain so it is safer for both parties.

Now my questions are:

1) Did I do anything wrong with the above - I have to admit I am an amateur but I do know the domain is very valuable and I didn't get it cheap to start with. However, this would see a nice profit if sold at this price.

2) How long should I give him to think before I contact him again and what should I say? He sent his last email on Monday (7th Jan). I don't want to be too pushy but also I don't want to leave it too long that he loses interest.

3) If he comes back with an inadequate offer, shall I either:
a) stay firm with the price
b) lower the price (will this make him think he can keep pushing lower?)

thanks!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
doesn't matter, whether it's perfect or not.

unsolicited email, is still considered spam.

still, there is a question for @Crypto King

how long have you owned this domain in question?
because from your comments, i gather you don't have much experience with negotiating.

imo...
doesn't matter, whether it's perfect or not.

unsolicited email, is still considered spam.

still, there is a question for @Crypto King

how long have you owned this domain in question?
because from your comments, i gather you don't have much experience with negotiating.

imo...

I want to get people's advice on how to deal with a potential lead from an end user... I think I am able to negotiate effectively with both buying and selling domains but I am not arrogantly assuming I know everything but instead I am utilizing the community who has a collective knowledge base far greater than any individual here.

•••
It is pretty obvious this domain RFQ has gone from the huge media options, and ugly dork thread, to being won, and not paid at namejet last month, and now this new course of action. Just relax, and let the domain breathe out it's own buyer.

It is very hard to cold email end users for 3L.com's unless you have a some sort of company behind you, as would Godaddy, MediaOptions, Afternic etc... People are skeptical about talking 5 figure pricing behind a random email, unless they find you first, and have an immediate need.

Last edited:
•••
Pretty much, there are laws in North America that outline how these emails need to be sent.

CANSPAM ACT

and GDPR in the EU

•••
Great, next time someone emails me to buy my domain, I will simply report them for spam :xf.smile:

As far as I know, B2B communication in good faith is fair use , and not spam.

OP is not pitching great-domain-for-biz.gq ....... but a LLL.com.
To laser-targeted companies.

•••
Pretty much, there are laws in North America that outline how these emails need to be sent.

CANSPAM ACT

I consider spam to be an unsolicited email.
If a perspective client sends an inquiry for a domain and I respond back then I assume I have permission to make contact.

Traditionally I wait 3 days after my initial contact and ask for an update. At the 9 day mark I make final contact saying since I have not heard I have put the domain back for sale and the price can no longer be guaranteed.

I am never bullish, I am polite and I don't think two additional emails after initial contact could be considered as spam.

Anyways, like always, that's just the other side of the coin.

•••
I consider spam to be an unsolicited email.
If a perspective client sends an inquiry for a domain and I respond back then I assume I have permission to make contact.

Traditionally I wait 3 days after my initial contact and ask for an update. At the 9 day mark I make final contact saying since I have not heard I have put the domain back for sale and the price can no longer be guaranteed.

I am never bullish, I am polite and I don't think two additional emails after initial contact could be considered as spam.

Anyways, like always, that's just the other side of the coin.
I do agree if you have something that is relevant to offer someone via email, by all means. To offer them something they neither need or want is another story.

The masking of whois is really crippling such efforts these days, many I have noticed are working off old whois records.

Domaining has caught the radar of a lot of call type centers overseas, and we are seeing a lot of blasting of random geo domains, that just keep coming randomly, some maybe relevant, most probably not. It just takes a few bad apples to ruin a key niche industry. There are people who do it in a responsible fashion, and I can respect that.

•••
When a potential buyer needs to "think" about it, that normally means the deal is dead.
It is often just an indirect way of saying they are not interested without directly saying it.

Brad

•••
The RFQ namejet sale, and all the reports that file after it for Dec 2018 is all over the search engines even though it never sold, which makes it a tougher sell in the 6 figure range you seek.

Usually sellers don't care because once they sell via namejet they are done, and out. In your case given your expectations it work against you. Also given Namejet was going to take their commission, you were really accepting $30K.

Last edited:
•••
I’d message him back and keep it simple:

Hi “name”,

I wanted to follow up with you and see if you had any further questions regarding “domain name”.

Regards,

This keeps the communication going but doesn’t seem pushy. They will either discuss the deal further with you or they will let you know they wish to pass.

If they offer a lower price, stay strong at your price and just tell them that isthe only price you will accept. If you don’t hear from them in 4 days, follow up again.

•••
I want to get people's advice on how to deal with a potential lead from an end user... I think I am able to negotiate effectively with both buying and selling domains but I am not arrogantly assuming I know everything but instead I am utilizing the community who has a collective knowledge base far greater than any individual here.

I actually didn't want to say anything about this but to be a guest reader. However, I feel I should chime in here a bit.

You are being a bit pushy. I had this type experience in 2012 December and I was in direct talk with the founder of the company out of UK. We went on for 3 weeks until he told me they will not be needing the domain name due to the extension. I had the .com of their exert match but they preferred the .co.uk and told me if I can get it for them, we will have a talk. it would have been my first 4 figure sale as a newbie.

I will suggest you stop contacting them completely. Do something else, forget the domain name. After all, your life was going on pretty well before you became the new owner of the domain name.

From your post, it appear you spent a fortune to acquire the domain name and you would love to make a huge ROI to make up for the money left in your bank account... DON'T let that be the reason for blowing up a sale.

Based on experience, when someone begin to tell you that they will think about it, your chances of making a sale becomes so thin and slim. The CEO from the story I shared above said same thing and there are countless stories from domainers to buttress this. However, I hope yours turn out right.

Stop contacting him and go do something else. I know how you are feeling, it is a crazy situation to be in right now. If you really want to make a sale, DON'T contact him anymore and if you must, give it a month or two. Great sales take some months. You must learn to be PATIENT, slowly edging them to your price. There was a domain name I sold for 4 figures... to be honest, it took us 6 months to get the buyer to pay.

PATIENCE bro... PATIEEEEENNNNNNCCCCCCEEEEEEEEE

•••
If buyer really wants it he will come back to you. For example on a domain of mine I received a low offer I countered at 21x higher than the low offer.

Weeks later I got an email saying that they’d offered a certain amount (which was just about 9% below my c
ounter) and would I accept it.

I answered honestly that I had somehow missed their email, accepted the offer, we went into escrow with buyer paying all fees and escrow closed just fine.

Point being that if a buyer wants a domain he will chase you to close the deal. I should have responded to that email but whether it ended up in my spam or I missed it in my inbox or maybe buyer forgot to click Send I didn’t see it.

*Over all I’ve been a little more giving with my acceptances lately. If the offer is within about 10% of my full asking price I don’t counter I just accept it. Or if their second offer after my counter is within 20% of my asking price I sometimes lately go for that too. No hard and fast formula just saying that lately I don’t push for every penny of my asking price.

I am reluctant to accept an offer
as last year when I did so ( outbound)
I nearly never closed a deal but instead lost the client

what's your experience?

•••
Anyone advising you to keep contacting this buyer isn't advising you well. The more you contact them, the less interested they'll get, and the less value your domain would have in their eyes.

If your domain is worth the value as the previous posters has confirmed, then hold and wait. Never mind the perceived ignorant questioning from the CEO, buyers sometimes feign ignorance just to get a good deal.

DO NOT CHEAPEN YOUR DOMAIN BY CONTINUALLY PESTERING THIS BUYER
I agree. He has been given all the info he could need and frankly I think you were allready too generous by not putting a time on the reduced figure. Next move is his. My guess is he is hoping for further reduction. Don’t act too eager.

•••
I am reluctant to accept an offer
as last year when I did so ( outbound)
I nearly never closed a deal but instead lost the client

what's your experience?

These days I do very little outbound. So I can’t really comment on that.

But when I receive a good offer inbound especially if it’s very close to my asking price I just accept it. I might engage the buyer a little first but I won’t counter if the offer is very close to what I want.

•••

Hi

I don't know if you've read this thread, but please consider it for the future:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/how-to-give-domain-advice.1116854/#post-7048552

like I said in that post, some only take advice from people they like
and some don't heed the advice they should

also noticed you have given a long time member of this community @wwwweb , a couple of "dislikes" in this thread.

that member speaks truth and has solid knowledge of domaining
he and others are aware of what goes on with such names.

and when you dislike such comments, to me, it shows that you can't handle the truth
and if that's true, then how can you determine what advice to follow?

puff puff ahhhhh

imo….

Last edited:
•••
Hi

I don't know if you've read this thread, but please consider it for the future:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/how-to-give-domain-advice.1116854/#post-7048552

like I said in that post, some only take advice from people they like
and some don't heed the advice they should

also noticed you have given a long time member of this community @wwwweb , a couple of "dislikes" in this thread.

that member speaks truth and has solid knowledge of domaining
he and others are aware of what goes on with such names.

and when you dislike such comments, to me, it shows that you can't handle the truth
and if that's true, then how can you determine what advice to follow?

puff puff ahhhhh

imo….

Yeah well I didn't dislike all of his posts, just the ones where there is no advice and just pointing out past history of a domain name, which he has assumed is the same domain that is being discussed in this thread. It is pretty obvious that I intentionally didn't mention the name and still won't say what the name is for this very reason. I welcome advice from all sides and have taken it on board.

Also, if I wish to dislike a comment that is my opinion and there is no need for you to come in and try to police who can dislike what on Namepros.

Last edited:
•••
1. Try to get maximum information about the buyer and his company using google and social media like LinkedIn. This will give you the indication about capacity of the buyer.
2. If name is generic and there are multiple end users, stay firm at your price. (although you can lower it slightly if you need cash flow immediately)
3. Use email tracking tools, if not done previously to check closely buyer's activity (clicks, no of time opened etc.). This will tell you if buyer really means business.
4. You have already educated the buyer about value of your name, now let him find this on his own.
5. Finally be confident, if your name is premium, you are definitely going to make a good sale.
Just my 2 cents.
Cheers!

•••
Always place a time frame on offers!

Cheers
Corey

•••
@Crypto King

When end-user request more time to think that it means the person no more, fully interested in your name or assume not interested.

Your 3L have a lot of potential just give that name sometimes to prove it. Don't do spam let's wait for someone to come & knock your door than you are on a wheel & with all the control.

Keep it simple!

*Just my two cent

•••
I think the message needing time to think might mean either what saying - still interested but big decision and can't make it right off, or as some have indicated may just be a gentle way to say not interested.

Overall I think your methodology has not been at all bad in this, and I really hope that a good sale results for you.

I don't think we know the name (maybe I missed it) but do keep in mind how rare high 5 figure sales are. e.g. in NameBio last year there were 88 sales of 90k+ while about 83,200 sales of 100* over the same time period.

Best of luck with it.

Bob

•••
Since you know the end user, why dont you try to figure out who is the competitor on the same size level and the bigger size level, try to offer your domain to those competitor.

•••
I think you probably priced the domain wrong. Too many domainers focus on price vs ROI. Remember, his business has probably been doing fine without the domain. So, wanting the name is very different than needing it. Chances are, he's moved on to something cheaper.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back