Dynadot

question Emoji Punycode domains that are registered but don't exist??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TerriJ

Established Member
Impact
So I just learned about punycodes but noticed something.
Let me give you an example. The emoji for a smiling poop translated into punycode is xn--ls8h
Doing a domain search, a lot of them are already registered. So out of curiosity, I decided to see what people were doing with these domains so I went to:
xn--ls8h.com and get a DNS error

I tried variations www.xn--ls8h.com
http://xn--ls8h.com

Then I looked up the WhoIs and got this:
Whois Server Version 2.0
Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.
No match for domain "XN--LS8H.COM".
>>> Last update of whois database: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 03:29:40 GMT

So.... why can I "Make an offer" through my registrar but no one owns it? What's going on with this?

I've been able to do this with foreign characters and find actual sites.... what's the deal with emoji domains?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just .ws extension has a support for emoji domains recently, and also DNSEEK as an alternative dns root for sure : )

•••
Just .ws extension has a support for emoji domains recently, and also DNSEEK as an alternative dns root for sure : )

So is it that Namecheap just doesn't support registering emojis?

•••
So is it that Namecheap just doesn't support registering emojis?

No matter the registrar is, just .ws extension has DNS support as ICANN based for emoji names.

•••
No matter the registrar is, just .ws extension has DNS support as ICANN based for emoji names.
Oooh okay. Thank you, Cyc.
Hope that changes soon. :angelic:

•••
Maybe because emoji domains are not that prevailing yet and they are i think not that in the business so its punny code is also not in business yet let the emoji domains make a mark and so the punny domains will follow.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back