Dynadot

news Emoji could soon take over domain names | CNET

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
The internet domain registrar and web hosting company is making it easier to search for and register available emoji-based domains. On Friday, the company launched a search engine for emoji domains. People can visit the site on their phones, type in a string of emoji and see if the domain is available.
As more of the world increasingly uses the internet on phones and other mobile devices, a flood of emoji-based domains seems inevitable. Heck, even the Touch Bar on Apple's new MacBook Pro will let you type in emoji, something that's difficult to do with a traditional computer keyboard...
emoji.png

Read More on CNET and DomainSuccess

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, absolutely. This is one of the few names that we absolutely not let go cheaply, this one has the potential to change a company. We're actually working on a special internal report with which we are going to try to directly sell the name, but I can give a few interesting points to think about. When looking at the profit margins for online banks vs traditional banks, it's staggering. There's a reason why going all online saves so much money, keep a branch open and people employed there is very costly. Virtual online banks are the future, there's a reason why Esurance got bought for such a massive sum. Online banking will happen in the same way. In China and South Korea for example, it's massive! Part of why I love emoji domains so much, is that I don't even have to focus on selling to a US bank, any bank in the world is now my target.

Even just shaving off a few clicks here and there to get customers to install an online banking app for these corporations would convert into more users, which means more profits. It's kind of a no-brainer once you see it all laid out. I think that xn--f68h.ws (oncoming bus emoji) is doing it right here, it forwards you directly to their app. For a multi-billion dollar industry, all those extra conversions should be worth it alone for the domain. This isn't even taking into account the potential uses it could have for emoji search as well.

Yes, you have made me think just how some of the Glyphs could be utilised by major players and not to sell too cheaply.
Much like the bank emoji this Glyph could have a wider audience and a .com?

The Sun

image.jpeg

•••
Seriously??????????????????????

Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I run three businesses and it will be a cold day in hell before I use an emoji domain for business. Maybe some teenager or a comedy site or something but a legitimate business will not use an emoji for an address.

Of course there will always be the experimental users and those seeking attention but I would never stake my business on an emoji domain.

Just my opinion of course.
Times a-changing MapleDots. It's fine you feel that way, but keep your finger on the pulse at least. This thread alone shouts movement.

No one's saying to have an emoji only based main business, for now they work just fine to complement an existing successful site. Take into consideration though this wildly successful emoji-based site ❤️❤️❤️.ws

My gem emoji
AUugrgP.png
.ws sold to a lucky dude for a modest 2k recently.

I see value in them because the age-old adage "a picture is worth more than a thousand words" cannot be more defined but in an emoji.

Finally, MapleDots, when you are ready, I might just have an emoji with your name written all over it:

Tf9H8NV.png
.ws (xn--bi8h) ;)

•••
Finally, MapleDots, when you are ready, I might just have an emoji with your name written all over it:

Tf9H8NV.png
.ws (xn--bi8h) ;)

HaHa... you might just have me hooked!!

Yes I see your point and have responded in a post since.

Like I said before..... I am never to proud to learn a lesson and I see now how the use of emoji domains could come in handy.

I was thinking as a business address it would not be feasible but for some of the other uses they are perfect.

•••
Times a-changing MapleDots. It's fine you feel that way, but keep your finger on the pulse at least. This thread alone shouts movement.

No one's saying to have an emoji only based main business, for now they work just fine to complement an existing successful site. Take into consideration though this wildly successful emoji-based site ❤️❤️❤️.ws

My gem emoji
AUugrgP.png

I see value in them because the age-old adage "a picture is worth more than a thousand words" cannot be more defined but in an emoji.

Tf9H8NV.png
.ws (xn--bi8h) ;)
Oh man that maple leaf is really cool!

•••

My gem emoji
AUugrgP.png

Tf9H8NV.png
.ws (xn--bi8h) ;)
Also check out my portfolio if there is anything you like at urls.org

•••
My gem emoji
AUugrgP.png

I'm actually the guy that bought that! So I can confirm that price at 2k. I have to note though, that the sale was before Michael Cyger put out his guide to emoji domains and then had the interview with Matan and Jon Roig on DomainSherpa, so the prices were much lower then, they all seemed to have bumped up since.

I'm actually going to be the end user for this domain though! While most of the emoji domains I've purchased have been investments, this one is actually going to be launched as a business. I won't say what yet, but it's on it's way.

Also, I totally agree about the picture being world a thousand words. Emoji are compelling, and they aren't going away any time soon (if ever).

•••
•••
Well Made my Move Today.....covered all six combos.....obviously one"star" looks better than the other! Good thing I grabbed both! BTW yes always CHECK your computer version of your EMOJI as some will show up different than they appear on your phone/ios system such as the "small" star here, which is actully the big normal golden star on the iphone emoji.

None the less , you shouldn't have a hard time guessing what this stands for ;)....well When Drake is ready to buy one, I'll be ready to sell it or all to him :)

(SORRY EMOJI failed to load correctly working on it but have to leave my PC for a while)

ps......Just found this Thread and the EMOJI hype about a week ago....Had a convo with my best friend last year that I bet that will be the next "big thing" $train.......well...I was thinking right , looks like I'm a little late for singles...but still way ahead of the emoji game if you as me as it's just about to blast off :)

ps.....if you doubt the emoji crazy...I'm 32...I would take a closer look at the younger generation and how their lives (including ours) are consumed with social media.....and the rise of the EMOJI in everything!

Last edited:
•••
Well Made my Move Today.....covered all six combos.....obviously one"star" looks better than the other! Good thing I grabbed both! BTW yes always CHECK your computer version of your EMOJI as some will show up different than they appear on your phone/ios system such as the "small" star here, which is actully the big normal golden star on the iphone emoji.

None the less , you shouldn't have a hard time guessing what this stands for ;)....well When Drake is ready to buy one, I'll be ready to sell it or all to him :)

(SORRY EMOJI failed to load correctly working on it but have to leave my PC for a while)

ps......Just found this Thread and the EMOJI hype about a week ago....Had a convo with my best friend last year that I bet that will be the next "big thing" $train.......well...I was thinking right , looks like I'm a little late for singles...but still way ahead of the emoji game if you as me as it's just about to blast off :)

ps.....if you doubt the emoji crazy...I'm 32...I would take a closer look at the younger generation and how their lives (including ours) are consumed with social media.....and the rise of the EMOJI in everything!

Well guys sorry I had trouble laoding the emoji yesterday, I can't edit my first post any longer so I will try here.

The 6 Emojis Domain are a

1f30e
1f31f
.ws

. ws

If it's not showing they are:

All three "Earths/World + Star" as in the two main golden Stars in the emojis. :)

If you haven't guessed by now it can stand for a few t things but the main one I was aiming for is

"WORLD/STAR" ;)

Last edited:
•••
Well guys sorry I had trouble laoding the emoji yesterday, I can't edit my first post any longer so I will try here.

The 6 Emojis Domain are a

1f30e
1f31f
.ws

. ws

If it's not showing they are:

All three "Earths/World + Star" as in the two main golden Stars in the emojis. :)

If you haven't guessed by now it can stand for a few t things but the main one I was aiming for is

"WORLD/STAR" ;)
Boy, emojis will really catch on if this is what it takes..:xf.rolleyes:

j/k

Last edited:
•••
Boy, emojis will really catch on if this is what it takes..:xf.rolleyes:

j/k

LOL hey all joking aside, and the "sad " fact I can't even get my emoji to show up properly even though in my email and on phone it shows perfect. I just like thinking ahead! Joking aside , It feels good knowing I have the The EMOJI equivalent of one of the Largest Websites with $99Mil Yearly Revenue . :)

It's a gamble but at least I feel like I'm ahead in position for once.

btw...I don't care for WS , I think it it promotes too much negativity in our world.

I'm just looking for my gold :)

•••
•••
is there a way to get emojis domains to work in text messages? I tried sending a few on my iphone but it doesn't make a clickable link.

•••
is there a way to get emojis domains to work in text messages? I tried sending a few on my iphone but it doesn't make a clickable link.
Yes, I just sent one in my iphone.
Just add the www.
along with your emoji and of course don't forget the ".WS" and it will be a clickable link.

•••
Yes, I just sent one in my iphone.
Just add the www.
along with your emoji and of course don't forget the ".WS" and it will be a clickable link.

I just tried it and it didn't work.

•••
•••
Apologies Just tried to past an emoji here did not work

Last edited:
•••
I just tried it and it didn't work.
I have an iphone and it is a few years old. I have it for work. My personal is a Samsung Galaxy. I just checked and my iphone is a version 8.4.1 So, I sent myself a text from iphone to Galaxy. All i did was www.(insert emoji here).ws and it went directly to the site. It was clickable within the text message area of both iphone, and galaxy.

So, 2 questions
1) Are you sure you have updated your phone?
2) Are you sure you are going to an active site that someone forwarded correctly?

•••
Ok, I figured it out. You have to add the http://(emoji).ws for it to work on an iphone.

If you enter it just like this, it shows a preview of the website instead of the link. But, if you add a period at the beginning and the end, then it works. And the iphone removes the periods so you just see the link. And they look so good!!

so do it like this: .https://B-).ws.

Last edited:
•••
Ok, I figured it out. You have to add the http://(emoji).ws for it to work on an iphone.

If you enter it just like this, it shows a preview of the website instead of the link. But, if you add a period at the beginning and the end, then it works. And the iphone removes the periods so you just see the link. And they look so good!!

so do it like this: .https://B-).ws.
For example you can simply tap the ☮ emoji and then .com

•••
For example you can simply tap the ☮ emoji and then .com
Nope, that didn't work for me. If I add the http at the beginning it brings up a preview of the website though.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
I'm actually the guy that bought that! So I can confirm that price at 2k. I have to note though, that the sale was before Michael Cyger put out his guide to emoji domains and then had the interview with Matan and Jon Roig on DomainSherpa, so the prices were much lower then, they all seemed to have bumped up since.

I'm actually going to be the end user for this domain though! While most of the emoji domains I've purchased have been investments, this one is actually going to be launched as a business. I won't say what yet, but it's on it's way.

Also, I totally agree about the picture being world a thousand words. Emoji are compelling, and they aren't going away any time soon (if ever).
Congratulations on your purchase, it's a very nice singular emoji to have!

•••
Back