IT.COM

news Emoji could soon take over domain names | CNET

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
The internet domain registrar and web hosting company is making it easier to search for and register available emoji-based domains. On Friday, the company launched a search engine for emoji domains. People can visit the site on their phones, type in a string of emoji and see if the domain is available.
As more of the world increasingly uses the internet on phones and other mobile devices, a flood of emoji-based domains seems inevitable. Heck, even the Touch Bar on Apple's new MacBook Pro will let you type in emoji, something that's difficult to do with a traditional computer keyboard...
emoji.png

Read More on CNET and DomainSuccess

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The point was you could get "image' based .com domains for a long while now
~
There was a specific term for them but it evades me for the moment

Last edited:
•••
Anheuser-Busch is running a promo campaign for their Bud Light Peach-a-Ritas, leveraging a .ws emoji domain, redirecting visitors here: http://emojiyourpeach.com

Attachments

• 20170515_220901.png
    20170515_220901.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 68
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Nice. Wonder if that'll push some interest onto some of the glyphs a few of us here own in dotcom.
I would think so. Damn COMmies. Wish i had one in .com.

•••
I would think so. Damn COMmies. Wish i had one in .com.

Does anyone think they'll eventually open emojis to dotcom? Will be a huge market. I know they would love the money flowing in from those. Really no limits to emojis.

•••
Does anyone think they'll eventually open emojis to dotcom? Will be a huge market. I know they would love the money flowing in from those. Really no limits to emojis.
I doubt it. But, who knows.

•••

I hope they do because I'd like to buy a few, but I mostly hope they don't because I'd like to see .com stay more business-oriented and serious, and without the confusion that hundreds of bubbly smiley faces would bring to it.

•••
I am surprised to see some of the auction prices going for what they are, but it looks promising!
Personally I do not think that ICANN will open up emoji to .com anytime soon. The longer this does not happen the more people will associate .ws with emoji as the de facto extension standard..

•••
Nice. Wonder if that'll push some interest onto some of the glyphs a few of us here own in dotcom.
The Hieroglyph domain names are only very young, and it certainly is surprising they are able to be registered in .com
Exciting new times ahead for "pictoglyphs"

•••
•••
jacob❤ashley.ws

jacob❤emily.ws

michael❤hannah.ws

michael❤emily.ws

jacob❤hannah.ws

I see a big potential in this kind of emoji domain names!

•••
jacob❤ashley.ws

jacob❤emily.ws

michael❤hannah.ws

michael❤emily.ws

jacob❤hannah.ws

I see a big potential in this kind of emoji domain names!
Does jacob know about michael and emily ??

•••
:) This are the most usual names in 2000 so they start to meet soon :)

•••
It's an emoji

Interesting, i did not know emoji existed outside of Japan in 2001, don't recall emoji in the domain space much before around 2010 but saw a lot of symbol domains registered in the early 2000.
It's an emoji

I think it was a symbol domain for some 13 years before it was decided to add it to the emoji list.
Whatever, one of the best of the old symbol domains, know a few guys with some almost as old and almost as good. Has a couple myself which I let go cheaply around 2006 thinking IDN proper would take off, still waiting for that one.

Now symbol/emoji/glyphs are the current vogue. At least the new /old boys in town glyphs are in .com and look quite good.

•••
I remember seeing a few over at that idn forum, especially the pound icon

•••
Interesting, i did not know emoji existed outside of Japan in 2001, don't recall emoji in the domain space much before around 2010 but saw a lot of symbol domains registered in the early 2000.

I think it was a symbol domain for some 13 years before it was decided to add it to the emoji list.
Whatever, one of the best of the old symbol domains, know a few guys with some almost as old and almost as good. Has a couple myself which I let go cheaply around 2006 thinking IDN proper would take off, still waiting for that one.

Now symbol/emoji/glyphs are the current vogue. At least the new /old boys in town glyphs are in .com and look quite good.
The world is changing so quick with new domain extensions available, only a few were able to predict the emoji domain craze that is now happening..

•••
Umm .... how about dot emoji within five years

•••
The world is changing so quick with new domain extensions available, only a few were able to predict the emoji domain craze that is now happening..

The only way .ws was going to make any money and if a smart country with a good extension added emoji access then they could make a killing.

Whatt cctld would be best failing .com?

But of course you don't actually need domains for emoji to be a continued success.

•••
Emoji could soon take over domain names
Yeah right and Trump could be elected President hahaha....oh wait.

•••
i❤claire.ws

i❤cleo.ws

i❤yoshi.ws

i❤ollie.ws

i❤penny.ws

i❤albert.ws

i❤zoey.ws

i❤oscar.ws

i❤lynda.ws

All these are startups companies! :)

•••
i❤claire.ws

i❤cleo.ws

i❤yoshi.ws

i❤ollie.ws

i❤penny.ws

i❤albert.ws

i❤zoey.ws

i❤oscar.ws

i❤lynda.ws

All these are startups companies! :)
I was tempted to pick up my wife's name. But, then I remembered that she's already stuck being married to me. No need to embarrass her more.

•••
Emoji domainers and visitors need to see the Emoji display in the address bar in the browser.

Any signs you'll have that soon/ ever?

•••
That's a lot of wasted money buying assorted letters and dashes, .ws extension?
C'mon guys stop wasting your hard earned money unless you're making a killing of $$$ sales.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back