IT.COM

news Emoji could soon take over domain names | CNET

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
The internet domain registrar and web hosting company is making it easier to search for and register available emoji-based domains. On Friday, the company launched a search engine for emoji domains. People can visit the site on their phones, type in a string of emoji and see if the domain is available.
As more of the world increasingly uses the internet on phones and other mobile devices, a flood of emoji-based domains seems inevitable. Heck, even the Touch Bar on Apple's new MacBook Pro will let you type in emoji, something that's difficult to do with a traditional computer keyboard...
emoji.png

Read More on CNET and DomainSuccess

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
A lot of people say they are getting offers for their "emoji".ws but I am still awaiting to see a sale.

•••
Ok, but is it better to get a WS or a .com? For emoji??
Domainers say .com is the rule, so it should be for emoji domains.

•••
•••
•••
There are some other ccTLDs which support Emoji Domains, but none that currently support Emoji + ASCII

•••
ok everybody, let test your emoji knowledge.. i did ok

quick game to see if you know emojis

https://www.emojibase.com/emojigame

Score 4 time 30 seconds.

Jon, you might be gamemaster on this one as you would probably smoke us all.

page

•••
I think where many people get it wrong is they think it will overtake .com. Just think of emoji domains as complimenting your existing brand or service.

wow, balanced wisdom , nice post. Yes emojis are a tool, a conversation starter, a reason to pitch a meeting - and a postive thing to showoff at parties and seminars and conferences.

right now im working on a report and i would say the #1 use is just business branding for influencers to show they are thinking... and thinking creatively.

Page Howe

•••
Why did not anyone register i❤sex.ws? The domain was still free two days ago.

•••
I see some bids starting to come in on the marketplace... neat! I definitely think we'd see a lot more activity if dropped their asking prices to more reasonable numbers, but I'm not really a domainer and don't really know the market. I do know that as a Dev, there's no chance I'd ever pay $50k for ✈.ws... but again, that's just me. (I've literally never bought or sold a domain at auction... so... yeah...)

I'm going to make some tiny tweaks to the Marketplace in the next few days: filtering by 1 or 2 chars, Emoji + ASCII vs Emoji Only, and maybe some other small things... also, I'm going to add some docs to help people add their domains to the Marketplace.

•••
Domainr is working on something at EmojiDomains.com, you didn't hear it from me.

•••
I welcome more competition in this area... it's still such a small market, there's plenty of room for other folks. Will be curious to see what they come up with!

•••
•••
•••
To my surprise in the free local music magazine there was a emoji crossword

•••
•••
Go Fish :xf.wink:

hiero_K5.png
.com

xn--007d.com

•••
Go Fish :xf.wink:

hiero_K5.png
.com

xn--007d.com
I am surprised these hieroglyph symbols are able to be picked up in the .com space, where as the emoji code is restricted by ICANN!..

•••
I am surprised these hieroglyph symbols are able to be picked up in the .com space, where as the emoji code is restricted by ICANN!..

A pyramid scheme they missed?

•••
A pyramid scheme they missed?
I'm trying to find out wether these hieroglyph symbols convert to 'picture' across different platforms. I know that it does on the iPhone..

•••
I'm trying to find out wether these hieroglyph symbols convert to 'picture' across different platforms. I know that it does on the iPhone..
At the moment it is sporadic but quite exciting and of course hieroglyphics is a language with it's own fonts that anyone can download.

•••
There used to be heaps floating around, including the eight ball amongst others which included the swastika sticker symbol

•••
There used to be heaps floating around, including the eight ball amongst others which included the swastika sticker symbol

But they are not Heiroglyphs are they?

•••
Egyptian Hieroglyphs and symbols are different.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back