Dynadot

Dropped Domains - Number of Drops important?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi there

I just went through some dropped domain names yesterday. And upon research I asked myself, if the number of drops in the domain history is important.

And if so, how do I evaluate that?

E.g. a name that was dropped 5 times in the past compared to a domain that was dropped 1 time in the past.

My initial thought was that the domain wasn't of much value if it was dropped 5 times.

Thanks for your comments!

Joe

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can you clarify whether you are looking for domain $$$ value or SEO Value?

•••
If you think there is viable market out there for your domain then drops don't matter. I have known domains dropping 3 times by the same owner and it was shown that he had picked them up all three times. So you never know.

•••
E.g. a name that was dropped 5 times in the past compared to a domain that was dropped 1 time in the past.
That could mean the domain was repeatedly picked then dropped by domainers, if often happens.
One can assume it was dropped because it didn't get any offers.

It doesn't mean the name is bad, depending on what you want to do with it :) Perhaps it is a good domain to develop but with no obvious buyers in sight otherwise :gl:

Sometimes, domains are dropped when the owners realize there may be TM issues and developing the domain would be problematic.

I think you should buy the domain (or not) based on your own assessment of value, and not let the past failures of others influence your decision :guilty:

•••
Even LLL.com domains drop sometimes (obviously not from domainers).

And sometimes totally crap names like uncle-joes-123-insurance-shop.com were kept and renewed continously since 20 years and never dropped because uncle joe believed in that domain until he died.

I don't think its worth the time to analyse such data.
Simply look after good domains, doesn't matter how many times they were dropped or not dropped.

•••
My initial thought was that the domain wasn't of much value if it was dropped 5 times.
contrary, it points at:
1) long history (first thought of at least 5 years ago)
2) at least 5 other people who have though there is a value in that name

As opposed to:
1) never been registered until recently
2) one person registering and holding it for some very personal reasons until getting tied of paying renewal fees.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back