Dynadot

DropCatch For You Only Lately?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I don't back order a ton of names at DropCatch, maybe a couple a week, but I'd say in the last three months I have not caught a single 'We Caught These Just For You' name. What has been happening is 'We Missed These' (or 'We Caught These And They Went To Auction'). I guess we can assume that DC prioritizes catching names that have multiple bidders - so that it goes to auction - but I would like to know that they are still at least trying to catch the single-backorder domains. Are you getting any?
Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Are you using the regular or discount backorder? I haven’t noticed any changes. If all your choices hit the auctions it just means others wanted the same name as you.

•••
I'm using the regular. It's that many that don't hit the auctions aren't getting caught and I'm wondering to what extent that's an indication that they're not trying very hard. Especially if it's a change in behavior over the last few months.

•••
If anyone other than SnapNames caught them, then it means DC isn't trying hard because the only one that can compete with them is SN.

If it was SnapNames that caught them, and I can guarantee you it was, it means that you would not have been the only order on DropCatch because people that backorder on SnapNames will almost always also backorder on DropCatch.

If there is a name you really like, backorder on both.

•••
•••
I tend to only order on Snapnames now. The public auctions on DropCatch attract too many uninformed bidders.

It's a bit more expensive when there are no other backorders but I would have saved the $20 several times over by being in private auctions.

•••
I don't back order a ton of names at DropCatch, maybe a couple a week, but I'd say in the last three months I have not caught a single 'We Caught These Just For You' name. What has been happening is 'We Missed These' (or 'We Caught These And They Went To Auction'). I guess we can assume that DC prioritizes catching names that have multiple bidders - so that it goes to auction - but I would like to know that they are still at least trying to catch the single-backorder domains. Are you getting any?
Thanks!

The two notable players are DropCatch and Snapnames. So if the domain is important to you, make sure to backorder the same domain on both DropCatch and Snapnames.

I have recently caught a domain using Snapnames, I was the only bidder so I got the domain without auction for $79. This domain has been approved by Squadhelp as a premium domain name at $4699 selling price, but I think this domain is worth $7000-$8000, so I increased the price a little bit :) So you can still find some gems.

If you don't want to pay $59-$79 for a domain because you think that the domain is not that valuable, then use only the DropCatch discount club (min. $10), but in case of higher value domains backorder at both Dropcatch ($59) and Snapnames ($69-$79).

•••
Are backorders on Snapnames private, i.e. are backorders not able to be seen by anyone curious to know what folks are finding? Do you have to do the 'last minute placing before backorder window closes' thing? If so, do you happen to know the Pacific time they have to be placed by. Thanks again! BTW I caught a 'We Caught These Just For You' on DropCatch the other day, so I have my confidence back that things haven't changed.

•••
Are backorders on Snapnames private, i.e. are backorders not able to be seen by anyone curious to know what folks are finding? Do you have to do the 'last minute placing before backorder window closes' thing? If so, do you happen to know the Pacific time they have to be placed by. Thanks again! BTW I caught a 'We Caught These Just For You' on DropCatch the other day, so I have my confidence back that things haven't changed.
I think that if 3 people combined between snapnames and namejet place a backorder, the data is shown to everyone.

•••
I think that if 3 people combined between snapnames and namejet place a backorder, the data is shown to everyone.
Got it. Interesting.

•••
I'm new to the DropCatch game. If the domain I wanted gets picked up and goes into auction, do I still have to pay the $69 if I didn't win the auction?

•••
I'm new to the DropCatch game. If the domain I wanted gets picked up and goes into auction, do I still have to pay the $69 if I didn't win the auction?
no

•••
I placed an order for a domain last Friday on both DropCatch and SnapNames. I ordered both as it the perfect name for a product i am working on. Dropcatch got it exclusively just for me. Snapnames missed it.

I always put a back-order at DropCatch because ... if they catch it for themselves, they list it at HugeDomains for a big price.

- Leopard

•••
I placed an order for a domain last Friday on both DropCatch and SnapNames. I ordered both as it the perfect name for a product i am working on. Dropcatch got it exclusively just for me. Snapnames missed it.

I always put a back-order at DropCatch because ... if they catch it for themselves, they list it at HugeDomains for a big price.

- Leopard
glad you got it

another reason I like dc is that the results are instant. If it drops 2:21pm est and they catch it, within minutes you know and can gain access to it (if u were the only one)

•••
glad you got it

another reason I like dc is that the results are instant. If it drops 2:21pm est and they catch it, within minutes you know and can gain access to it (if u were the only one)
Thank You !

They probably have the better infrastructure to catch domains ... Lot of my dropped domains get caught by DC and land up in HugeDomains for sale. So, if i want something, i don't take the risk of not placing a order on DC

•••

- Leopard
Every time I back-ordered on DropCatch, these domains went to auction.

Is there any way to avoid that, or does it just depend on how popular that particular domain is?

Last edited:
•••
Every time I back-ordered on DropCatch, these domains went to auction.

Is there any way to avoid that, or does it just depend on how popular that particular domain is?

A domain goes into auction if more than 1 person ordered for it . It can really depend on how popular the domain keywords and length are ... Once the domain drops and goes into auction, dropcatch shows u the list of all usernames who ordered for it . So i guess their system is transparent . See all the $59 bids in the below image

1659546519338.png

I don't know of any way you can beat around this. Just hope no one else has ordered it

Regards

•••
Back