IT.COM

.ca Dot CA Discussion, Sales, and Showcase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

whitebark

Part-Time ZombieVIP Member
Impact
Domains For Next MyID .ca Auction

These are the upcoming domains and reserve range for the next/current myid.ca auction:

666.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Acrobats.ca ($251 - $500)
affordabletrips.ca ($251 - $500)
AirportRentals.ca ($1001 - $1750)
albertabyowner.ca ($251 - $500)
BridalOnline.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Broke.ca ($5001 - $7500)
CanadianDrugStores.ca ($501 - $750)
CanadianTennis.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CarStore.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CheaperFlights.ca ($101 - $250)
CraftSales.ca ($501 - $750)
DiscountTours.ca ($1001 - $1750)
DivorceTips.ca ($501 - $750)
DownloadFreeRingtone(s).ca ($2 - $100)
DUILawyers.ca ($1001 - $1750)
EasyIncome.ca ($751 - $1000)
EcoVoyage.ca ($251 - $500)
EngineeringCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
Enlargement(s).ca ($751 - $1000)
ExoticHolidays.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FashionOnline.ca ($2501 - $3750)
Fertiliser.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FitnessJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
FlightSearch.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Freebies.ca ($7501 - $10000)
FreelancingJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
FurnitureLiquidation.ca ($751 - $1000)
GayBlog.ca ($251 - $500)
GayCanada.ca ($3751 - $5000)
HealthGuide.ca ($1001 - $1750)
HearingAids.ca ($7501 - $10000)
Hired.ca ($7501 - $10000)
HockeyGame.ca ($1001 - $1750)
homegardens.ca ($251 - $500)
HowToDance.ca ($501 - $750)
iBlogs.ca ($751 - $1000)
InternetHelp.ca ($251 - $500)
InternetPhones.ca ($1751 - $2500)
JFK.ca ($1001 - $1750)
JointVenture.ca ($2501 - $3750)
KitchenWare.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Lake-Ontario.ca ($1001 - $1750)
LogosOnline.ca ($501 - $750)
Mask.ca ($3751 - $5000)
MontrealLaser.ca ($251 - $500)
MontrealTravel.ca ($1001 - $1750)
MusicJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
NutritionJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
OakvilleFlowers.ca ($501 - $750)
OnlineCoupons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
OnlineDates.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineGaming.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineStock.ca ($751 - $1000)
OnlineStocks.ca ($751 - $1000)
OrganicStore.ca ($1751 - $2500)
PharmaceuticalCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
PizzaRestaurant(s).ca ($101 - $250)
PrivatePilots.ca ($501 - $750)
ProFootball.ca ($251 - $500)
QuebecHoneymoons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
RollerBlading.ca ($5001 - $7500)
SaskatoonRealtors.ca ($101 - $250)
SelfImprovement.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Sensual.ca ($10001 - $15000)
Shareware.ca ($15001 - $25000)
SingleChristian.ca ($251 - $500)
SmallJob.ca ($1001 - $1750)
SNN.ca ($251 - $500)
Snores.ca ($1751 - $2500)
SportsStore.ca ($501 - $750)
TechJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TeddyBear.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Theme.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TNN.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputer.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputers.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoDentists.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TravelAuction.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UniqueGifts.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UsedHouses.ca ($251 - $500)
UsedLaptops.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Valuable.ca ($501 - $750)
VancouverHomeForSale.ca ($101 - $250)
War.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Women.ca ($50000)

I can see a number of these getting picked up - there a few others I'm surprised they accepted the high reserve and can't see selling because of it. What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
hahah.. good hypothetical answers then

It's not all hypothetical, as RLM gave us a lot of hints, including that we'd know the entity involved when or if he finalized the deal, so we can assume it's not Joe's Barbershop on Spadina.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
You just can't get that kind of value in a Mac, but I still like them a lot and my kids swear by them.

Are Apple products more expensive? Definitely. But I bought a mid 2009 macbook pro for like $1200. Still using it today for traveling and daily while on the couch. I'm also still using my 2009 MacPro in the office. Every year I think I should probably replace them before they die on me, but, why replace what aint broke and still works fine? I did upgrade to SSD's quite a few years ago. Even so, I'm definitely happy with the value I get out of my apple products. My iPhone 7+ still works great 4.5 years later. Again, just tough justifying upgrading when the existing one has no flaws! I just upgraded my AirPods (my daughter wanted them) to the new AirPods Pro, love them too! Yes it seems expensive for earbuds, but they work so damn well that if someone stole them from me, I'd be down at bestbuy getting another set tonight.

•••
hahah.. good hypothetical answers then
aside from being hypothetical.. getting an offer from a bank is also extremly rare. which is why in avg situation, one does not counter 100k on a 3l.ca (Which still isn't a 3l.com).... unless of course one paid this 3l.ca say > 90k... but then another question arises who or why would pay 90k for a 3l.ca

Yes, the hypothetical answers are pretty much right, although its not rbc... wish I owned that though because you'd think they'd eventually hire someone who will understand it's worth buying rbc.ca.

And quit guessing because eventually someone is going to be right! haha.

As for me, I'm still not 100% sure it's legit, but normally bullshit offers don't back it up and say its legit on the phone. We had a good discussion about other domain sales, domains I sold to other people this guy would know, and I of course have a pretty good idea who the buyer is but you never really know until you see how it gets used or its clearly spelled out in the domain sale agreement. After the discussion I was 99% sure it was legit. So my assessment of legit or not was just a gut feel.

The one thing I've learned is that if you don't ask for it, you won't get it. And if you're not willing to walk away to get what you ask for, you also won't get it. I've spent years turning down very good offers on a specific domain in order to get the sale prices I get. Too many people sell too cheap, and it kills me to see it happen. But I get it too, its tough to turn down good offers. And even when you do agree to sell, you may be happy but you still always wonder how much more they were willing to pay.

And in this case, it has development potential and traffic so I wouldn't be heart broken to walk away. Any good sale results in a situation where the seller has some regret on lost potential, and the buyer had to dig so deep into the pocket that it hurts a little too.

•••
I mostly got what I was going after though, so I was happy. 5 without a post-auction, 2 with a post-auction - so we'll see how those pan out.

Well I got skunked in the post-auction. One I wasn't really motivated enough to chase after more than a couple bids & counter bids. It certainly looked good, definitely had at least one existing potential buyer, but not much more than that. The other one I just completely missed the auction while checking news/financial markets. Someone got a good deal because there were no other bids either. No one wants to see the canadian dollar tanking long term, but at least temporarily that USD/CAD rate is looking real good to me as I have a bunch of USD to convert. Thank you Saudis!

•••
Are Apple products more expensive? Definitely.

Hey, I'm an Apple fanboy when it comes to phones, but I'm a bit of a madman when it comes to upgrading Right now I have the iPhone Xs (love it - killer screen) and 1st-gen AirPods, but my wife literally had to talk me down from buying a new GOLD (actual gold color, not that pink/salmon crap) iPhone II Pro.

On that note, anyone with a Koodo account, watch out as your data got hacked and is being sold online.

I love corporate Canada - we outsource support to the 3rd world to increase profits, we use coders from the 3rd world to increase profits, then somehow these same greedy corporation force themselves to look flabbergasted that these same systems are constantly getting hacked by "unauthorized users".

•••
Well I got skunked in the post-auction. One I wasn't really motivated enough to chase after more than a couple bids & counter bids. It certainly looked good, definitely had at least one existing potential buyer, but not much more than that. The other one I just completely missed the auction while checking news/financial markets. Someone got a good deal because there were no other bids either. No one wants to see the canadian dollar tanking long term, but at least temporarily that USD/CAD rate is looking real good to me as I have a bunch of USD to convert. Thank you Saudis!

CAD has tanked since Jan, more so recently.

Attachments

• USDCAD 1 39266 ▲  0 01  Unnamed.png
    USDCAD 1 39266 ▲ 0 01 Unnamed.png
    163.8 KB · Views: 65
•••
so i own 2024
.ca

am I silly to think that this has a ton of potential to sell in next couple years, because.. well.. cause there is no better domain to own for a site about year 2024 current events, news, etc in canada...

or that thinking pattern rarely works, and most of you would not even bother to renew it? or reg it for that matter. thoughts?

•••
or that thinking pattern rarely works, and most of you would not even bother to renew it? or reg it for that matter. thoughts?

You're talking to the guy who renewed bicentennial.ca for 2 years before running the numbers.

•••
so i own 2024
.ca

am I silly to think that this has a ton of potential to sell in next couple years, because.. well.. cause there is no better domain to own for a site about year 2024 current events, news, etc in canada...

I think it has "some" potential but hard to say.

Are there any major events happening in Canada in 2024? The world cup is happening in 2026, but i can't find anything too special for 2024 after doing a quick search.

Have year-domains been used in the past? I can't find any reported NNNN.ca sales on namebio, but there could be a few non-reported sales. I also see that 2010.ca all the way to 2030.ca are currently taken too so someone must think they're worth something. That said, they're all for sale and none have been developed, except for 2011.ca which is being used as a redirect to a blog.

A nuans search provided 10 results for "2020", however only 5 are active:
https://www.nuans.com/auth/app/scr/...ch.html?reportType=6&name=2024&src=   Next   

Something tells it doesn't have too much potential but i wouldn't blame you if you renewed it until at least 2023/2024.

•••
Sorry i meant a nuans search for "2024" and not "2020", but the link provided will take you to the results for "2024'.

•••
March 18th TBR:

7,036 expired domains + 23 LLLs (one of which I would class as premium) - no CC/LL, no NNN.

And in related news, I'm home working for a few weeks while the younger one gets a free 3-week vacation and the older one is on hiatus from Uni and doubles the noise and fun. If I haven't thrown my PC and laptops through the window by then, I hope to have the TBR completed this week. :xf.cool:

Cue "Breakin' Up the House" by Colin James on Spotify...

Last edited:
•••
In a related story, my wife's association/governing body decided to close (except for emergencies) so she's heading home right now, so the gang's all here! :xf.eek:O_o>:(

Meanwhile later tonight at the clubs:

source.gif

Last edited:
•••
tim's is closing all of their dining rooms starting tomorrow:xf.eek:
in que and atlantic canada all vlts are being turned off(y)

•••
But Tims is still open for business serving brown-water coffee and reheating frozen treats from the Stone Age, and now they can fire a few more employees who normally clean up and empty garbages.

It's a Win-Win!

Our previous under-reaction to COVID-19 is quickly becoming an overreaction to the crisis, as they're acting like it's a zombie apocalypse.

And we may actually kill more people this way, as in situations like this, the lack of support systems and the resultant economic downturn takes a huge toll on the ill (mentally and physically) and the disadvantaged.

Studies: Panicking into Recession Could Kill More Than Coronavirus

https://www.ccn.com/studies-panicking-into-recession-could-kill-more-than-coronavirus/

A 2016 study by researchers at Imperial College London found that the last global financial crisis caused 500,000 cancer deaths worldwide between 2008 and 2010. They found a correlation between each percentage increase in unemployment, and an uptick in cancer deaths.

Last edited:
•••
Lol. No clubbing allowed in Quebec. We're pretty at a complete lockdown already. All places where people gather are closed, except restaurants which are only allowed 50% of their normal capacity to keep distance between clients, but most are closing anyway because no one is coming in.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Meanwhile at the local Irish "Restaurant":

giphy.gif

LOL. Quebec is doing more than any other province atm, whether that's smart or not (at this point in time). Most seem to think it is smart (even non-Quebecers), but I've also been wondering if it's too premature/an overreaction (as you previously alluded to). What if everything stays closed for the next 3+ months? Can our economy withstand being closed for so long? There's gonna be a lot of commercial space available for rent if that happens. I'm originally from the Maritimes, for the record.

•••
•••
What if everything stays closed for the next 3+ months? Can our economy withstand being closed for so long?

Right now they estimate 50% of small business closings will be permanent, and a LOT of old, sick, and poor people will die. And the homeless rate will shoot off the charts.

Right now, we are definitely overreacting to the disease (the vast majority of those who test positive and recover, never even knew they were sick), and it's almost guaranteed to create a cyclical "Millennials vs Boomers" finger-pointing as there will probably be zero jobs and insanely high unemployment.

•••
I don't know if it is an over-reaction or not. Clearly what happened in Italy, where rapid community spread overwhelmed their hospital capacity, in a country with a sound medical system, is scary to contemplate.

If the health minister is right, based on statistics from medical experts, that eventually 30 to 70% of the population will get the virus, it depends on how much we can spread that out whether we can handle it. It is true that the vast majority will have few or no symptoms and recover quickly. However, it is also true that perhaps something the order of 1% will die, the vast majority will be 60+ and especially 70+.

If we apply those numbers to the Canadian population, it suggests that something like 150,000 would eventually die. But are we able to with these drastic measures severely reduce that so that the number who will get the virus will be much less than 30% and it will be slowed so our hospitals can continue to treat all in critical shape? I think optimistically we are.

But if there were 10 people hospitalized for every one who dies, can our hospital system add 1.5 million people, some in critical care? I don't think so. That is why it is critical for each of us personally to do all that we can to slow this, to flatten the curve. We don't want our medical system to get where Italy is, and their dedicated medical professionals must literally decide who is to live.

Canada has certain advantages. Highly educated population, good public health systems, a general sentiment towards working for the common good and looking out for others, despite the distributed political system a greater ability to work together than in some areas, a national medicare system supplemented for many with private coverage, etc.

Can we survive economically? That is a good question, especially coming on the heels of an already stressed resource sector. In Canada, as well as many other countries, it was very ill-informed to keep interest rates so low when the economy was doing alright, so now there is no room to stimulate the economy through lowered interest rates.

I think the government will need to think of other ways to spur the economy. The past infrastructure programs have been only somewhat successful. But what about thinking big, and essentially building new communities that will have healthy densities, environmental transit systems, etc. The concentration of populations in a few huge cities may, both health and long term business wise, not be the right solution for Canada. Rather than provincial governments like BC trying to make enough housing through controls on foreign ownership, including from other provinces, view housing in this beautiful country as something that we have the capacity to have for all and that can drive our economic recovery.

Sorry this is so long, and not very domain related. On the latter, I wonder if the idea of environmental tourism in open spaces may help Canada's tourism recover more quickly.

Stay well everyone.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
I don't know if it is an over-reaction or not. Clearly what happened in Italy, where rapid community spread overwhelmed their hospital capacity, in a country with a sound medical system, is scary to contemplate.

Europe is a perfect storm for a pandemic - people stuffed together like rats, open borders, overrun by migrants, and no EU-wide travel locks on incoming "hot zone" travelers.

Canada isn't that packed (yet) along its habitable range and we only have one major border, with much better government and health care.

And the argument isn't whether these increasingly-excessive measures won't save lives, it's whether the inevitable economic downturn directly caused by these measures won't cost *more* lives. And this is real, in a recession a lot of people die and it's directly attributable, just like a virus.

It's a question that needs to be asked, as it pertains to the exact same demographic, older, sicker, and poorer Canadians.

Last edited:
•••

If the health minister is right, based on statistics from medical experts, that eventually 30 to 70% of the population will get the virus, it depends on how much we can spread that out whether we can handle it. It is true that the vast majority will have few or no symptoms and recover quickly. However, it is also true that perhaps something the order of 1% will die, the vast majority will be 60+ and especially 70+.

If we apply those numbers to the Canadian population, it suggests that something like 150,000 would eventually die. But are we able to with these drastic measures severely reduce that so that the number who will get the virus will be much less than 30% and it will be slowed so our hospitals can continue to treat all in critical shape? I think optimistically we are.

But if there were 10 people hospitalized for every one who dies, can our hospital system add 1.5 million people, some in critical care? I don't think so. That is why it is critical for each of us personally to do all that we can to slow this, to flatten the curve. We don't want our medical system to get where Italy is, and their dedicated medical professionals must literally decide who is to live.

Canada has certain advantages. Highly educated population, good public health systems, a general sentiment towards working for the common good and looking out for others, despite the distributed political system a greater ability to work together than in some areas, a national medicare system supplemented for many with private coverage, etc.

Can we survive economically? That is a good question, especially coming on the heels of an already stressed resource sector. In Canada, as well as many other countries, it was very ill-informed to keep interest rates so low when the economy was doing alright, so now there is no room to stimulate the economy through lowered interest rates.

I think the government will need to think of other ways to spur the economy. The past infrastructure programs have been only somewhat successful. But what about thinking big, and essentially building new communities that will have healthy densities, environmental transit systems, etc. The concentration of populations in a few huge cities may, both health and long term business wise, not be the right solution for Canada. Rather than provincial governments like BC trying to make enough housing through controls on foreign ownership, including from other provinces, view housing in this beautiful country as something that we have the capacity to have for all and that can drive our economic recovery.

Sorry this is so long, and not very domain related. On the latter, I wonder if the idea of environmental tourism in open spaces may help Canada's tourism recover more quickly.

Stay well everyone.

Bob

I recently started trading forex, no matter what the economy is doing currency price is fluctuating, there is money to be made on all swings up and down. If you don't have a plan C, D, or
E for income time to find something that you like and can do from home..besides domaining lol

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back