Dynadot

.ca Dot CA Discussion, Sales, and Showcase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

whitebark

Part-Time ZombieVIP Member
Impact
Domains For Next MyID .ca Auction

These are the upcoming domains and reserve range for the next/current myid.ca auction:

666.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Acrobats.ca ($251 - $500)
affordabletrips.ca ($251 - $500)
AirportRentals.ca ($1001 - $1750)
albertabyowner.ca ($251 - $500)
BridalOnline.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Broke.ca ($5001 - $7500)
CanadianDrugStores.ca ($501 - $750)
CanadianTennis.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CarStore.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CheaperFlights.ca ($101 - $250)
CraftSales.ca ($501 - $750)
DiscountTours.ca ($1001 - $1750)
DivorceTips.ca ($501 - $750)
DownloadFreeRingtone(s).ca ($2 - $100)
DUILawyers.ca ($1001 - $1750)
EasyIncome.ca ($751 - $1000)
EcoVoyage.ca ($251 - $500)
EngineeringCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
Enlargement(s).ca ($751 - $1000)
ExoticHolidays.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FashionOnline.ca ($2501 - $3750)
Fertiliser.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FitnessJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
FlightSearch.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Freebies.ca ($7501 - $10000)
FreelancingJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
FurnitureLiquidation.ca ($751 - $1000)
GayBlog.ca ($251 - $500)
GayCanada.ca ($3751 - $5000)
HealthGuide.ca ($1001 - $1750)
HearingAids.ca ($7501 - $10000)
Hired.ca ($7501 - $10000)
HockeyGame.ca ($1001 - $1750)
homegardens.ca ($251 - $500)
HowToDance.ca ($501 - $750)
iBlogs.ca ($751 - $1000)
InternetHelp.ca ($251 - $500)
InternetPhones.ca ($1751 - $2500)
JFK.ca ($1001 - $1750)
JointVenture.ca ($2501 - $3750)
KitchenWare.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Lake-Ontario.ca ($1001 - $1750)
LogosOnline.ca ($501 - $750)
Mask.ca ($3751 - $5000)
MontrealLaser.ca ($251 - $500)
MontrealTravel.ca ($1001 - $1750)
MusicJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
NutritionJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
OakvilleFlowers.ca ($501 - $750)
OnlineCoupons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
OnlineDates.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineGaming.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineStock.ca ($751 - $1000)
OnlineStocks.ca ($751 - $1000)
OrganicStore.ca ($1751 - $2500)
PharmaceuticalCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
PizzaRestaurant(s).ca ($101 - $250)
PrivatePilots.ca ($501 - $750)
ProFootball.ca ($251 - $500)
QuebecHoneymoons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
RollerBlading.ca ($5001 - $7500)
SaskatoonRealtors.ca ($101 - $250)
SelfImprovement.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Sensual.ca ($10001 - $15000)
Shareware.ca ($15001 - $25000)
SingleChristian.ca ($251 - $500)
SmallJob.ca ($1001 - $1750)
SNN.ca ($251 - $500)
Snores.ca ($1751 - $2500)
SportsStore.ca ($501 - $750)
TechJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TeddyBear.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Theme.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TNN.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputer.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputers.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoDentists.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TravelAuction.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UniqueGifts.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UsedHouses.ca ($251 - $500)
UsedLaptops.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Valuable.ca ($501 - $750)
VancouverHomeForSale.ca ($101 - $250)
War.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Women.ca ($50000)

I can see a number of these getting picked up - there a few others I'm surprised they accepted the high reserve and can't see selling because of it. What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Andrew @DomainNameWire has written about CIRA having a realtor TM violation in their latest advertisement promoting .ca. The story is here in case you missed it:

https://domainnamewire.com/2019/09/24/oops-new-ca-commercial-has-a-trademark-problem/

I read that article as well as the article before it:

https://domainnamewire.com/2019/09/23/new-tv-commercial-promotes-ca-domains-to-canadians/

From the article: "CIRA will run the ads only in the Toronto area from September 23 until November 17. It will also be featured on streaming services and in cinemas in the area."

I hate to fall into that Western Canadian stereotype, but holy crap, Trawna has a national domain name extension!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm no expert on TM, but I think they are also flirting with the RCMP's trademark.

From the ad, what is the benefit of purchasing a .ca over a .com? I mean no one wants to run from a Zamboni but please explain the SEO and local search advantages to using a cctld.

On the whole I found the ad silly, but then because I don't live in Trawna I'm not the target market. Maybe it's Trawnian hunour?

•••
From the ad, what is the benefit of purchasing a .ca over a .com? I mean no one wants to run from a Zamboni but please explain the SEO and local search advantages to using a cctld.

Exactly, and that's a very important reason to choose the .CA over something else, otherwise why not just open it up to anyone like .CO or .TV? I watch that commercial and I ask "why?" Why should I pick .CA over .COM.

Just add in some actual content - like at the end with a short "You also rank higher in local searches, eh!" (overtop of a guy typing in "need maple syrup")

I see this commercial and it exudes desperation, not confidence and that's a dangerous angle to take.

•••
Exactly, and that's a very important reason to choose the .CA over something else, otherwise why not just open it up to anyone like .CO or .TV? I watch that commercial and I ask "why?" Why should I pick .CA over .COM.

Just add in some actual content - like at the end with a short "You also rank higher in local searches, eh!" (overtop of a guy typing in "need maple syrup")

I see this commercial and it exudes desperation, not confidence and that's a dangerous angle to take.
The commercial is limited to run only in Ontario region, it is comedic, but not very educational as you stated.

•••
The commercial is limited to run only in Ontario, it is comedic, but not very educational as you stated.

A commercial certainly needs to be interesting and poke fun at Canucks, but that doesn't mean it has to be totally bereft of valid information. The target market should be small and medium business, as well as those home businesses that are flocking to Facebook pages, and they need some steak to go with the sizzle.

Any one of those RCMP guys could have inserted info in a humorous manner, rather than just going for the obvious "fart joke".

"You like that 15-letter .COM do ya?" (selection)

"And we accept Canadian dollars too" (price)

"You also rank higher in local search results, eh!" (over a humorous type-in) (business advantage)

Last edited:
•••
"CIRA will run the ads only in the Toronto area
Quite apart from the strength, or lack thereof, of the advertisement, or the potential infringement issues, how can a national agency like CIRA justify running an ad in only one region of the country? Seems strange.

•••
Quite apart from the strength, or lack thereof, of the advertisement, or the potential infringement issues, how can a national agency like CIRA justify running an ad in only one region of the country? Seems strange.

Maybe they knew they had a dud, and cut their losses?

•••
BTW I wonder what you experienced .ca domain investors think about trying to promote a .ca domain name as a package with another domain extension name? I know there was a bit of discussion way back re with a new gTLD, but what I was thinking was a pitch like the following:

"Research shows that .ca are the most accepted and trusted by Canadians, and your immediate business plan is limited to Canada. But if you later plan to extend globally, it is good to be prepared with the same phrase or word in both .ca and in a global extension. I am offering a package of WORD in .ca and in TLD.'

I picked up a few hand-reg on the Rebel deal that I had a matching word in .co and thought I might try this approach. Any thoughts, or have people already tried that?

Bob

•••
Also, I wonder is there any specific reason for choosing Toronto only and not any other region of Canada.

•••
If you're doing outgoing, it can't hurt, but I would definitely put it below the .CA sales pitch, as a secondary consideration.

•••
Also, I wonder is there any specific reason for choosing Toronto only and not any other region of Canada.

Cuz every'un lives in the Big Smoke, or dinna ya know dat, eh?

•••
•••

I would assume that is because most of Canada's corporate head offices are in and around the GTA. It's a very standard and irksome Central Canadian outlook.

•••

Probably because it's the Capital of Canada

•••
I would assume that is because most of Canada's corporate head offices are in and around the GTA. It's a very standard and irksome Central Canadian outlook.
I would think the .ca growth is going to come from small, and medium businesses needing to go online to compete. Many Canadian based landscapers, construction, and more industrial types lack any online engagement. Many of those great two keyword direct match people are holding here need to be put to use. I have seen a lot of gtld use on food trucks, and such.

•••
I would love to see a commercial like this with some wit,

But hopefully that wasn't the target market for the ad, as those old horses picked their online brand a long time ago.

•••
Many Canadian based landscapers, construction, and more industrial types lack any online engagement.

It's sad that these companies think "Oh, a Facebook page is more than enough" as when I go looking for service people, no website = no deal as they just look sketchy.

Seriously, can't afford a basic website, how do you afford insurance and warranty service, where do you get your products, a dumpster? How skilled and experienced are your workers - are they bonded?

Last edited:
•••
It's sad that these companies think "Oh, a Facebook page is more than enough" as when I go looking for service people, no website = no deal as they just look sketchy.

Seriously, can't afford a basic website, how do you afford insurance and warranty service, where do you get your products, a dumpster? How skilled and experienced are your worker - are they bonded?
These people charge like $35-50 an hour for landscape, construction type services, you used to be able to get people at around $20-25 an hour, but those days are long gone, nobody wants to roll out of bed for less than $500 a day when it comes to trades type jobs. Just old school mentality, they don't realize they usually pay off their whole web development with one lead, or job in most cases.

•••
Just old school mentality, they don't realize they usually pay off their whole web development with one lead, or job in most cases.

I know, and we recently assigned a very lucrative fencing contract for a large portion of our neighborhood and there was no way in heck that any company without a professional website was going to be in the running.

You might be good at what you do, but if the company does not present a professional exterior to clients, then they're dead in the water. When I get business cards with a FB link, I wonder why they wasted the money and time on printing them - hey, maybe it was a free online offer through a... website?

It's like those micro-businesses that utilize call answering services to mimic a receptionist - that stuff works and a lot of medium to big IT firms started that way in the 90's and 2000's.

•••
Hey everyone.... I'm back

Sorry to be away but I had a situation beyond my control where I was not able to keep my word to another member and Eric was kind enough to step in and help resolve the situation.

So all is well and I am back.

•••
Glad to see you back in action - are you involved in the REAL.CA festivities?

•••

Same here. FB business pages looks scammy to me for some reason. Also, they are clunky as hell on my phone and even worse on a computer, so I avoid them like the plague because they are not usable

•••
Same here. FB business pages looks scammy to me for some reason.

That's because a lot of them are - FB business pages as a main website are right up there with Kijiji business listings for trustworthiness.

Look at all those "consumer hotline" problems you see on TV or read about - the words "FB page" and "Kijiji listing" are in about half of them.

Last edited:
•••
Glad to see you back in action - are you involved in the REAL.CA festivities?

No, not at the moment, it will be interesting to see who gets it and for how much though.

Without me spending forever on it how do I find out in advance what the key domains are?

Can you cc me to them in advance?

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back