Dynadot

.ca Dot CA Discussion, Sales, and Showcase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

whitebark

Part-Time ZombieVIP Member
Impact
Domains For Next MyID .ca Auction

These are the upcoming domains and reserve range for the next/current myid.ca auction:

666.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Acrobats.ca ($251 - $500)
affordabletrips.ca ($251 - $500)
AirportRentals.ca ($1001 - $1750)
albertabyowner.ca ($251 - $500)
BridalOnline.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Broke.ca ($5001 - $7500)
CanadianDrugStores.ca ($501 - $750)
CanadianTennis.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CarStore.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CheaperFlights.ca ($101 - $250)
CraftSales.ca ($501 - $750)
DiscountTours.ca ($1001 - $1750)
DivorceTips.ca ($501 - $750)
DownloadFreeRingtone(s).ca ($2 - $100)
DUILawyers.ca ($1001 - $1750)
EasyIncome.ca ($751 - $1000)
EcoVoyage.ca ($251 - $500)
EngineeringCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
Enlargement(s).ca ($751 - $1000)
ExoticHolidays.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FashionOnline.ca ($2501 - $3750)
Fertiliser.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FitnessJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
FlightSearch.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Freebies.ca ($7501 - $10000)
FreelancingJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
FurnitureLiquidation.ca ($751 - $1000)
GayBlog.ca ($251 - $500)
GayCanada.ca ($3751 - $5000)
HealthGuide.ca ($1001 - $1750)
HearingAids.ca ($7501 - $10000)
Hired.ca ($7501 - $10000)
HockeyGame.ca ($1001 - $1750)
homegardens.ca ($251 - $500)
HowToDance.ca ($501 - $750)
iBlogs.ca ($751 - $1000)
InternetHelp.ca ($251 - $500)
InternetPhones.ca ($1751 - $2500)
JFK.ca ($1001 - $1750)
JointVenture.ca ($2501 - $3750)
KitchenWare.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Lake-Ontario.ca ($1001 - $1750)
LogosOnline.ca ($501 - $750)
Mask.ca ($3751 - $5000)
MontrealLaser.ca ($251 - $500)
MontrealTravel.ca ($1001 - $1750)
MusicJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
NutritionJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
OakvilleFlowers.ca ($501 - $750)
OnlineCoupons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
OnlineDates.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineGaming.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineStock.ca ($751 - $1000)
OnlineStocks.ca ($751 - $1000)
OrganicStore.ca ($1751 - $2500)
PharmaceuticalCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
PizzaRestaurant(s).ca ($101 - $250)
PrivatePilots.ca ($501 - $750)
ProFootball.ca ($251 - $500)
QuebecHoneymoons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
RollerBlading.ca ($5001 - $7500)
SaskatoonRealtors.ca ($101 - $250)
SelfImprovement.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Sensual.ca ($10001 - $15000)
Shareware.ca ($15001 - $25000)
SingleChristian.ca ($251 - $500)
SmallJob.ca ($1001 - $1750)
SNN.ca ($251 - $500)
Snores.ca ($1751 - $2500)
SportsStore.ca ($501 - $750)
TechJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TeddyBear.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Theme.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TNN.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputer.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputers.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoDentists.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TravelAuction.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UniqueGifts.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UsedHouses.ca ($251 - $500)
UsedLaptops.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Valuable.ca ($501 - $750)
VancouverHomeForSale.ca ($101 - $250)
War.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Women.ca ($50000)

I can see a number of these getting picked up - there a few others I'm surprised they accepted the high reserve and can't see selling because of it. What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Maybe the ball will start rolling now! :)
Congrats, I looked at your thread a few times. Always came down to optimized use in the gaming space which is the best industry for it, but given red tape tied to the extension in terms of regulatory use it was tough to hit the bin. Your price was fair, but there are many uses for it, especially in sports I would say would be the second obvious choice.

•••
I like the name winner - as well as obvious gaming use, I think it has a lot of potential in a more generic sense in promoting improvements of any sort. Congrats on acquisition, @MapleDots! (now that you have that unclaimed million maybe we will see more :xf.wink:).

•••
•••
11k usd is the minimum bid
I like the name winner - as well as obvious gaming use, I think it has a lot of potential in a more generic sense in promoting improvements of any sort. Congrats on acquisition, @MapleDots! (now that you have that unclaimed million maybe we will see more :xf.wink:).

I made 9 bids today and a few of them are .com's

•••
I made 9 bids today and a few of them are .com's

No don't go for that .com stuff :xf.eek: The future is in country codes and ngTLDs :xf.grin: (meant playfully people - don't take this seriously and tear me apart, please)

•••
(meant playfully people - don't take this seriously and tear me apart, please)

I doubt that will happen in this topic - mostly Canadians :xf.smile:

•••
I doubt that will happen in this topic - mostly Canadians :xf.smile:

So true! I am grateful for the normally generous, logical, kind and open minded Canadians, both here in NPs in general. Have a great new year everyone. I hope you all have more success in selling .ca domain names than I did in 2018!

Bob

•••
I hope you all have more success in selling .ca domain names than I did in 2018!

My strategy with .CA has never been about the "big score" like it can be with .COM, but with selling enough to support my renewals and expenditures, while consistently improving the quality of my portfolio.

Then do the same thing the next year, with the higher quality domains (hopefully) resulting in more sales.

Rinse and repeat.

•••
My strategy with .CA has never been about the "big score" like it can be with .COM, but with selling enough to support my renewals and expenditures, while consistently improving the quality of my portfolio.

I love your strategy but I believe you can get the “big score” with .ca with some luck and an investment. It’s obviously harder than .com but I believe .ca has a very bright future.

•••
Personally, I am buying them as an investment for my kids. In ten years red and pure should be worth at least a college fund.

•••
Personally, I am buying them as an investment for my kids. In ten years red and pure should be worth at least a college fund.

And you also have a real “winner”. :ROFL:

•••
I love your strategy but I believe you can get the “big score” with .ca with some luck and an investment. It’s obviously harder than .com but I believe .ca has a very bright future.

Agreed, but I don't think my .CA portfolio at that point yet, and there is no way you can pick up a cheap .CA and sell it for 4-5 figures in under a year, like you can sometimes with .COM.

•••
Agreed, but I don't think my .CA portfolio at that point yet, and there is no way you can pick up a cheap .CA and sell it for 4-5 figures in under a year, like you can sometimes with .COM.

Never say never. I picked up a 1-word .ca in TBR auction for under $500 in June 2016. Sold it for low 6-figures in under 2 years.

I've picked up MANY .ca drops for < $100 and sold for 4 and 5 figures. I can think of one last year that I bought uncontested in a drop and sold for $7K within a couple weeks. And it wasn't the previous owner either! Just a random inquiry - I don't even think they realized I had just registered the domain at all.

I picked up another 1-word .ca for about $2K by contacting the owner directly in 2018 - now in negotiations for another 6 figure sale already. Probably won't go through, but it will eventually make a very healthy profit. BTW - bought this one from the same guy MapleDots also bought from recently. Maple is lucky - I dropped the ball and didn't buy one particular domain right away due to other distractions at the time... That's what I get for not feeling any urgency to close the deal. I really didn't expect Maple or anyone else to discover it... My loss...

The biggest thing to realize is that you'll never make a really big sale unless you can say no to really big offers. And sometimes it takes a big gamble to make big money. I once bought a premium 2-word .ca for low 6-figures only to sell it a few years later for above mid 6-figures. But it took years of inquiries and offers - the entire time I stuck to my price - and they eventually paid it. Unfortunately - you've gotta gamble and be willing to lose. That's the really hard part and obviously sometimes you've just gotta take the easy money and run if your situation warrants it. Unless you feel _really_ good about your buyer having deep pockets and being more emotionally invested in your domain than they probably should be - that's when you can maybe hold on for the really big sales.

I think the "selling enough to renew and survive while slowly upgrading" mentality is the correct one for most people. Maple is probably an exception with a bankroll to take some risk and pay bigger money for better domains. Even with a large portfolio you can go years without really big sales. But when you do hit a good streak, it can pay for years of renewals and plenty of portfolio building in one shot.

Speaking of that, I'd also highly recommend to anyone that scores a big sale to renew your entire portfolio for a year or more out if you can, especially the ones you really know you want to keep long term. It'll partially offset the big sale for tax purposes and you won't have to sweat it if the next year or two is lean on sales.

And when you're setting prices, be sure to set your price high enough that you can easily replace the domain you sold with a better one. I will even use that as an argument in justifying my price. I'll tell them I'm an investor and I now have to take this sale and be able to purchase an even better domain with it for this whole transaction to be worthwhile. Once I even told the potential buyer of my domain the exact domain that I wanted to buy, how much the seller wanted and flatly said that's the price I need - no negotiations. I said "You'll get what you want, I'll get what I want, then we're all happy." And it worked.

Anyways, I guess that is enough rambling unsolicited advice for today :)

•••
•••

Feel free to ramble all you want, and any time you want, as this is great stuff.

•••
Never say never. I picked up a 1-word .ca in TBR auction for under $500 in June 2016. Sold it for low 6-figures in under 2 years.

I've picked up MANY .ca drops for < $100 and sold for 4 and 5 figures. I can think of one last year that I bought uncontested in a drop and sold for $7K within a couple weeks. And it wasn't the previous owner either! Just a random inquiry - I don't even think they realized I had just registered the domain at all.

I picked up another 1-word .ca for about $2K by contacting the owner directly in 2018 - now in negotiations for another 6 figure sale already. Probably won't go through, but it will eventually make a very healthy profit. BTW - bought this one from the same guy MapleDots also bought from recently. Maple is lucky - I dropped the ball and didn't buy one particular domain right away due to other distractions at the time... That's what I get for not feeling any urgency to close the deal. I really didn't expect Maple or anyone else to discover it... My loss...

The biggest thing to realize is that you'll never make a really big sale unless you can say no to really big offers. And sometimes it takes a big gamble to make big money. I once bought a premium 2-word .ca for low 6-figures only to sell it a few years later for above mid 6-figures. But it took years of inquiries and offers - the entire time I stuck to my price - and they eventually paid it. Unfortunately - you've gotta gamble and be willing to lose. That's the really hard part and obviously sometimes you've just gotta take the easy money and run if your situation warrants it. Unless you feel _really_ good about your buyer having deep pockets and being more emotionally invested in your domain than they probably should be - that's when you can maybe hold on for the really big sales.

I think the "selling enough to renew and survive while slowly upgrading" mentality is the correct one for most people. Maple is probably an exception with a bankroll to take some risk and pay bigger money for better domains. Even with a large portfolio you can go years without really big sales. But when you do hit a good streak, it can pay for years of renewals and plenty of portfolio building in one shot.

Speaking of that, I'd also highly recommend to anyone that scores a big sale to renew your entire portfolio for a year or more out if you can, especially the ones you really know you want to keep long term. It'll partially offset the big sale for tax purposes and you won't have to sweat it if the next year or two is lean on sales.

And when you're setting prices, be sure to set your price high enough that you can easily replace the domain you sold with a better one. I will even use that as an argument in justifying my price. I'll tell them I'm an investor and I now have to take this sale and be able to purchase an even better domain with it for this whole transaction to be worthwhile. Once I even told the potential buyer of my domain the exact domain that I wanted to buy, how much the seller wanted and flatly said that's the price I need - no negotiations. I said "You'll get what you want, I'll get what I want, then we're all happy." And it worked.

I'm not afraid to purchase .ca's and it's no secret that my average acquisition is about 5k but can go up to 20k. Anything more than that I traditionally won't pay for a .ca.

My latest conquest (so to speak) was pure(dot)ca and it set me back quite a bit but right now I am bidding on a few higher end .com's and am about to finish one today for 15k USD.

For me I intend to purchase only one word .com and .ca's this year.

What one word did you pick up and which one did you miss out on?

I'm always open to trading/buying/selling if you PM me a list.

•••
Speaking Single-Words... I don't think I've ever seen this many commonly-used words on a single TBR. Not all premium, but damn, it's like a .CA word balloon just burst.

•••
My latest conquest (so to speak) was pure(dot)ca and it set me back quite a bit but right now I am bidding on a few higher end .com's and am about to finish one today for 15k USD.

I do like pure.ca. You're still in your portfolio building phase so I think it makes sense to spend in that range to assemble a really nice core portfolio. That'll buy you a some negotiating power as well when buyers see you're not just a one-off domain owner - that you have a nice stable of thoroughbreds. I spent good money to assemble my portfolio as well. Doing the forums & tbrs is entertainment for me than more than anything, like doing the garage-sale circuit or taking the metal detector out to the beach. You usually don't find much, but occasionally you find that hidden treasure!

What one word did you pick up and which one did you miss out on?

I missed out on Pink.ca, he had given me a reasonable price... No offense but hopefully you paid more and made him happy for not selling it to me, he seemed like a nice guy! :)

As for the one I picked up - I'm still keeping that info on the down low.

I'm always open to trading/buying/selling if you PM me a list.

No offense, I'm just not big into sharing portfolios with domainers. For one - it might give up some of my competitive advantage. Two - its usually futile negotiating with other domainers - not worth the effort just to end up basically even on trades. Yes, sometimes someones trash is someones treasure. And some people do make good livings hustling and flipping lots of domains for small profits. Its just not for me.

I also don't typically publish my domains for sale and I leave it to people to discover the domain they're interested in and that I'm the owner. Then I know they're specifically interested in a particular domain. With thousands of domains, I'm also certainly not pricing them all in advance so before I start pricing anything I want to qualify how serious they are so that I don't waste my time and energy. Things are dynamic - I want that option of setting the price each time. I want to know who the buyer is. I want to know why they want it. I want to know what other potential buyers are out there. I want to assess how bad do I want to keep it. I want to assess any industry trends related to the domain. I also log all inquiries and offers in a database and check the inquiry history. So far, this is what has worked for me.

HOWEVER, I might sometime in the near-ish future change that up. I've been considering taking some lower level domains that I really don't care much about, pre-pricing them and post them for sale, maybe get my teenage daughter to do some outbound sales work or responding to inquiries as a source of learning and income for her. I'm sure I could increase my 4-figure sale volume significantly by doing this. So far I've just been too lazy. I'll probably never change my existing strategy with premium domains though.

Cheers.

•••
Speaking Single-Words... I don't think I've ever seen this many commonly-used words on a single TBR. Not all premium, but damn, it's like a .CA word balloon just burst.

Yeah I noticed that too - someone's cleaning out the closets and had a few dumpsters full of trash. There will be many people picking through that trash, I expect there will be a higher pickup rate this week than usual. But if you're going dumpster diving, just be very picky!

•••
Yeah I noticed that too - someone's cleaning out the closets and had a few dumpsters full of trash. There will be many people picking through that trash, I expect there will be a higher pickup rate this week than usual. But if you're going dumpster diving, just be very picky!

Yep, lots of funky words and -y, -ly,-ed, -er, -ing, and other suffixes are running wild.

But there is one premium word that I can almost guarantee will go first overall.

•••
Doing the forums & tbrs is entertainment for me than more than anything, like doing the garage-sale circuit or taking the metal detector out to the beach. You usually don't find much, but occasionally you find that hidden treasure!

Anything of any real value will end up at MyId so I don't bother too much with TBR.

•••
•••
•••

6 figure sales in .ca do not happen a lot... only 5 total in namebio... even if not all may show there...

where do you rank on namebio with yoru sold one and one u say is in progress?

jobs.ca 600,000 USD 2008-05-07 Private
jobs.ca 450,000 USD 2013-12-25 Sedo
poker.ca 400,000 USD 2010-06-01 SnapNames
slots.ca 206,906 USD 2010-07-09 Private
flights.ca 120,000 USD 2012-01-18 Private

•••
O' I have a few of them, they are still listed there by previous owners but they are definitely mine.

But can you ever leave MyID and transfer to another Registrar?

I heard one guy did, a long, long time ago, but that turned out to be a lie. He actually died waiting.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back