IT.COM

Don't bid at GoDaddy last minute hoping to win a name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

anf

Established Member
Impact
To anyone who is still doing this: godaddy's so-called partner bot will bid you up, you are not getting the name!
You just allow them to USE YOU and your human intelligence to select good names for THEM.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just bid on a domain with only about 1 minute to go and it extended the auction to 5+ minutes (normal). I won the domain for my bid of $12. So my experience is contrary to your experience.

•••
If you're not the highest bidder it doesn't matter how late you bid.

•••
I do it : see what names have bids, see what others are bidding on. Sometimes others bids are what pushes me to invest in a name.

•••
To anyone who is still doing this: godaddy's so-called partner bot will bid you up, you are not getting the name!
You just allow them to USE YOU and your human intelligence to select good names for THEM.
It's tough, but just use good judgment on what you're willing to pay to win and in the end it may be worth more to someone else. Sometimes the ends doesn't justify the means though, just because someone beat you doesn't mean they made a good call.

I would call it "artificial value" if it balloons too much without rational cause other than your bids being beat by a bot.

•••
Here My observations: if it's a crappy name and only one bid is placed, you might get the name.
If two bids are placed, you are done. Period. Godaddy's partner bot will jump in and you are done.

Don't do it if you think the name is good: just wait until it hits closeout, let's compete there.

Anyway, I personally think that using this kind of bots is not ethical: My opinion is that godaddy just uses human intelligence of their customers to filter good names and keep these names. Even If you win the name, you would pay much more compared to the case when you would bid only against humans.

Last edited:
•••
Here My observations: if it's a crappy name and only one bid is placed, you might get the name.
If two bids are placed, you are done. Period. Godaddy's bot will jump in and you are done.

Don't do it if you think the name is good: just wait until it hits closeout, let's compete there.

Anyway, I personally think that using this kind of bots is not ethical: My opinion is that godaddy just uses human intelligence of their customers to filter good names and keep these names. Even If you win the name, you would pay much more compared to the case when you would bid only against humans.
I'm not sure that's true tbh.

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Well that's hugedomains not GoDaddy I believe.

Well, strictly speaking it's not GoDaddy, but Godaddy gave them full api access to godaddys's system, if I understand correctly.

Last edited:
•••
Well, strictly speaking it's not GoDaddy, but Godaddy gave them full api access to godaddys's system, if I understand correctly.
I suppose if you don't like bots then that's fair enough. Might be worth just putting in you're top bid and accept it as a win or a lose.

•••
Might be worth just putting in you're top bid and accept it as a win or a lose.
That's what I did. But still: I think this is a shady practice to allow bots at your platform that would bid against humans and drive prices up, especially if bot analizes behavior of real humans.

Last edited:
•••
That's what I did. But still: I think this is a shady practice to allow bots at your platform that would bid against humans and drive prices up, especially if bot analizes behavior of real humans.
Why don't you build a bot? 🌚

•••
Why don't you build a bot?
well, I don't have enough capital for such an operation. An even if I did, I don't have API access that would notify me when bid is placed within 5 minutes of auction end.

•••
I'm going to be honest with you, if you don't have enough money to compete with them then you wouldn't be getting the names anyway, so it's hard for me to get too angry about it in this situation. In my experience I have been able to win domains even against people that seem like bots because they bid in the very last second every time, but it is a money game at the end of the day. My best successes are when I've put my max bid in and then looked away and waited for the email 😁.

I sympathise with you though nonetheless and losing a domains that you'd like is annoying.

Last edited:
•••
I recently won a pretty good name for $12 and while I didn't bid last-minute, I did hit it within the last 1-2 hours.

There are a LOT of Bots that activate and services that highlight very late min-bids, so bid with a few hours left or even a day early. I think you actually stand a better chance that way as your bid looks like old news.

Last edited:
•••
I was just watching the auction for argotek.com which I had on my watch list.
First bid was placed by someone with less than 1 minute to go, therefore auction was extended.
Less than one more minute later a second bid (Auto) was on the domain.

Now, with over one hour extension time, the domain is at $202 with still leading "Bidder 2 (Auto)".
Estimated Value by Godaddy is $2,228.
Well, I think anyone here will guess who bidder 2 is...

This is total nonsene imho. But props to the guy steadily bidding up Hugedomains (y)
(y)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back