IT.COM

interviews DomainSherpa Review – July 31: NameJet Safe to Buy/Sell? Getting Uncomfortable w Shane…

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Chris Hydrick

Top Member
Impact
**Typically these headlines are posted by @DomainSherpa himself, but since I couldn't find anything about this DomainSherpa interview on NamePros, I'm posting it so we can have an upon unfiltered discussion about the interview**

Link HERE
upload_2017-8-28_11-22-16.png

Earlier this month, I tried to comment on the interview. It's been about 2-3 weeks or so, and the comment still hasn't been approved. I had asked a simple question to Mr. Cyger. I don't know remember the exact wording of the unapproved comment, but it was something like

"How can you call the NamePros thread about NameJet shill bidding a witch hunt if you don't know which accounts were actually blocked?"

My question derived from Michael's below transcript. If Michael doesn't know which accounts were blocked, how can he protect himself from those accounts if they rise again in a different form?

Michael: That was a witch-hunt that went down. You know, I give NamePros a lot of credit for being the place where somebody can bring up something like this, because if we didn’t have NamePros I’m not sure people could’ve discussed it and we could’ve found that there was an issue. Because clearly there was shill bidding going on, and NameJet has blocked those people — NameJet said that there was shill bidding. I don’t know what accounts were actually blocked. Shane, regardless of whether accounts are blocked or not, one of the reasons I love to have your perspective is that I don’t wanna put words in your mouth, but tell me if you agree with this.

I don’t care if people are shill bidding or not, I understand the value of a domain name at wholesale value, and if I can get it at a good price, I’m willing to buy it. Would you agree with that or not? Clearly, shill bidding is wrong, but you get my point that you’re only bidding based on the value of the domain name, regardless of

In Michaels defense, I don't think he approved my comment because he wanted to keep attention drawn to the last comment which benefits a charity...

upload_2017-8-28_11-36-17.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Disappointing.......but not unexpected.

Last edited:
•••
... and I don't like a certain Sherpa who's PM'd me threatening to bankrupt and blackmail me if I don't remove my NamePros posts regarding the NamePros NameJet Shill Bidding thread.

In the DM transcript some of y'all have read, the last word I said to this Sherpa (prior to another threatening DM) was peace.

That was the last words I said to this Sherpa, up until an hour ago when he surprised me with a phone call. The phone call lasted about 1 minute and 42 seconds. I hung up as soon as this Sherpa became verbally abusive SCREAMING at me to SHUT UP twice, and listen to me. I said very few words in the conversation but he asserted that me sharing the direct messages without his explicit consent was illegal. I told him that was not my understanding. The conversation ended with me saying, "I'm sorry, I'm not going to talk to you if you're going to be this abusive. Thank you."

And YES - for those wondering, I have an audio recording of the conversation.

•••
sharing the direct messages without his explicit consent was illegal.
Not to go off topic, but I think this view is incorrect. These are direct messages and not private messages - really depends on each websites TOS. Similar to e-mail, you should explicitly add a disclaimer to your messages if you do not want them shared, etc... Just my personal opinion and not legal advice.

•••
Not to go off topic, but I think this view is incorrect. These are direct messages and not private messages - really depends on each websites TOS. Similar to e-mail, you should explicitly add a disclaimer to your messages if you do not want them shared, etc... Just my personal opinion and not legal advice.

Also, if anyone is curious about state by state laws in regards to regarding phone calls:

https://www.rcfp.org/reporters-recording-guide/tape-recording-laws-glance

No issue there either.

This is good for everyone to review, because in some states it's a jailable offense.

•••
•••
In the DM transcript some of y'all have read, the last word I said to this Sherpa (prior to another threatening DM) was peace.

That was the last words I said to this Sherpa, up until an hour ago when he surprised me with a phone call. The phone call lasted about 1 minute and 42 seconds. I hung up as soon as this Sherpa became verbally abusive SCREAMING at me to SHUT UP twice, and listen to me. I said very few words in the conversation but he asserted that me sharing the direct messages without his explicit consent was illegal. I told him that was not my understanding. The conversation ended with me saying, "I'm sorry, I'm not going to talk to you if you're going to be this abusive. Thank you."

And YES - for those wondering, I have an audio recording of the conversation.

Someone threatened you online and you shared this with your friends privately.

There is nothing illegal there.

About the voice recording, do not share it with anyone but keep it for yourself in case you can use it against him in the court showing how he keep abusing you.

You raised questions about his approach on a certain topic and did not make any claims against him.

There is a freedom of speech.

You are not blackmailing him or trying to destroy his reputation. Even you have enough material to do so.

Play it smart, cause this guy`s emotions are blocking his brain to think straight and he puts himself in a worser position.

•••
If I was paranoid (haven't put on my aluminum hat in awhile) I been worried about who is messaging who behind my back....
Just my thoughts..

•••
So are we supposed to guess what Sherpa this is?.....The audience is left wondering. Who is it?....Without naming someone you are doing the same thing NameJet is doing......If you want justice you should inform the community and not keep us guessing like some kinda of game.

•••
be careful what you post....you will always need to fear the following
- attacks from members who align with the opposite side
- blackmail and threats from those who align with the opposing view
-off topic posts that will be deleted or moved to a different section

no negative comments about what you may think is unfair activity or untrue....keep it light and fluffy and dont forget to include some cute animated gifs to lighten the mood. the gods should not be challenged...enjoy the bliss and carry on with stories of missed offers....

quis custodiet ipsos custodes

•••
Now I'm very curious what have you red.

So are we supposed to guess what Sherpa this is?.....The audience is left wondering. Who is it?....Without naming someone you are doing the same thing NameJet is doing......If you want justice you should inform the community and not keep us guessing like some kinda of game.

This guy is threatening @Grilled , not to share his name on namePros. This is not a game.

You can contact @Grilled via pm to learn more.

If anybody else wants to see the heated PMs, PM or email me.

Last edited:
•••
Wasn't me. I have been too busy growing fall mums and watching the last of the monarch pass through Illinois. Ain't got time to harass a guy with a grilled cheese avatar. :)

•••
PS. I do say we all need to get uncomfortable to get better but this is a bit more uncomfortable than I think is necessary. :)

•••

The reason I am not saying the sherpas name, is because he told me more than once to never mention his or his companies name again. Below is a direct quote for the DMs.

But so help me god, if my name comes up again or my company name, you will regret the day you even thought about entering the domain business. Remove all comments immediately that contain my name or company name. You are causing irreparable harm to my business and reputation. We are talking about potential MILLIONS OF DOLLARS in damages. I don't want to even waste my time with this kind of sh*t, but I take my reputation VERY seriously and if you don't stop, you will find out how seriously. I make Rick Schwartz look like a school girl.

Despite the threat of making me regret the day I thought about entering the domain business, I don't want anybody to wrongly assume which Sherpa is threatening me. The initials of the sherpa in question is A.R. The NamePros account initials of the sherpa in question is M.O. Again, I'm only mentioning the initials so no other Sherpa is falsely associated with these threats.

There are many upstanding Sherpas out there, and I apologize for leaving the sherpa in question ambiguous (until now) leaving room for others to possibly falsely assume. At one point during the NJ thread, I had reached out to another Sherpa, to ensure I wasn't crossing the line; which he/she confirmed I-personally was not.

Last edited:
•••
I love this comment "I make Rick Schwartz look like a school girl." I do love how Rick goes off on people who try to strong arm him on his names. there is only one http://www.hallofshame.com/

•••
The reason I am not saying the sherpas name, is because he told me more than once to never mention his or his companies name again. Below is a direct quote for the DMs.
You are causing irreparable harm to my business and reputation.

I guess he doesn't need YOU for this task

looks like he is capable of self performing

Last edited:
•••
I know others users also got threatened via PM after the NameJet thread.

•••
I can certainly understand his reasons for being pissed off. That thread was a witch hunt to a certain extent and when a name is mentioned or implicated in that situation it cannot be unmentioned and it can definatly cause damage to the reputation of an innocent party. Its hard not to let your emotions come out when youve spent years building a reputation that then gets damaged but false implications. Names should never be aired untill proven guilty.

•••
I can certainly understand his reasons for being pissed off. That thread was a witch hunt to a certain extent and when a name is mentioned or implicated in that situation it cannot be unmentioned and it can definatly cause damage to the reputation of an innocent party. Its hard not to let your emotions come out when youve spent years building a reputation that then gets damaged but false implications. Names should never be aired untill proven guilty.

Its actually very difficult to prove any fact esp by someone who has taken steps to hide their tracks. IMO thats the difference btw a blog and a forum...
A blog will need absolute proof of wrong doing and even then they may not want to align themselves with the negative news against the third party.
A forum is much less strict and allows people to express views based on what they are seeing that may actually be true but the authority blogs will not run. I think its important for members to continue to question what they are seeing. ....So I would say ask away.....lets the sunshine in....sunshine is the best disinfectant...
this is a place where we should be able to ask questions and if you are mentioning someone they have the right to reply. and you have to hope their reply is true....thats where reputation comes in (and how many badges you have next to your name)....a good reputation is not destroyed with one post...

•••
Its actually very difficult to prove any fact esp by someone who has taken steps to hide their tracks. IMO thats the difference btw a blog and a forum...
A blog will need absolute proof of wrong doing and even then they may not want to align themselves with the negative news against the third party.
A forum is much less strict and allows people to express views based on what they are seeing that may actually be true but the authority blogs will not run. I think its important for members to continue to question what they are seeing. ....So I would say ask away.....lets the sunshine in....sunshine is the best disinfectant...
this is a place where we should be able to ask questions and if you are mentioning someone they have the right to reply. and you have to hope their reply is true....thats where reputation comes in (and how many badges you have next to your name)....a good reputation is not destroyed with one post...
I agree with most of what you say and I dont think he has handled the situation in the correct manner.
Having said that, whether it's a blog or a forum the impact of an accusation or a post on an individuals reputatiin can be the same.
I'm all for peoples open discussion as it is offen the only way wrongdoings are found out although when good names get dragged through the dirt as a consequence it leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.
I personaly dont like the way those kinds of threads play out on this forum (Adam Dicker, Namejet etc), as they inevitably turn into a lynch mob, witch hunt fiasco which I try never to comment in/on (pains me to even be commenting on here).
Having said all that I dont know what the answer is. Whats the happy medium? Is the death penalty worth it if a few innocents get killed along the way?

•••
I agree with most of what you say and I dont think he has handled the situation in the correct manner.
Having said that, whether it's a blog or a forum the impact of an accusation or a post on an individuals reputatiin can be the same.
I'm all for peoples open discussion as it is offen the only way wrongdoings are found out although when good names get dragged through the dirt as a consequence it leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.
I personaly dont like the way those kinds of threads play out on this forum (Adam Dicker, Namejet etc), as they inevitably turn into a lynch mob, witch hunt fiasco which I try never to comment in/on (pains me to even be commenting on here).
Having said all that I dont know what the answer is. Whats the happy medium? Is the death penalty worth it if a few innocents get killed along the way?
No disrespect to you, although your wording seems to blame the victim......It's like blaming a rape victim for wearing a skirt.....Don't blame the victim, please....

•••
No disrespect to you, although your wording seems to blame the victim......It's like blaming a rape victim for wearing a skirt.....Don't blame the victim, please....
Im not blaming anybody for anything. Im saying that accusations can make victims of innocent parties.
In the UK we recently had a big thing with old tv personalities being found out for historical sex crimes. Some inoccent people were implicated by newspapers and names were published. From now on when those names are said people will be like "oh yeah he's that peado", even though they were totally inoccent. Thats how reputations are destroyed. Thats all I was saying. We just need to be more carfull with our words and not all just jump in head on in these heated threads.

Last edited:
•••
There is a vast difference between being unsatisfied with a situation

And

Threatening somebody

Last edited:
•••
There is a vast difference beteeen being unsatisfied with a situation

And

Threatening somebody
Agree totally. Not the way he should have gone about it.

•••
I was gone one day and this thread blew up - damn

•••
TLDR - can someone fill me in? :xf.wink:

•••
Back