IT.COM

question Domains that contain big companies name

NameSilo
Watch

mfjones

Impact
Hi everybody,
I'm new here :)
I would like to know if it's legal to park domains (currently parking with Bodis) that look like "AppleProducts.com", "GoogleBoy.com", "AmazonWorker.com" etc...

And if not... any advice for what to do with them?
(can't list them at GoDaddy auctions..)

Thanks !

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
Hi everybody,
I would like to know if it's legal to park domains (currently parking with Bodis) that look like "AppleProducts.com", "GoogleBoy.com", "AmazonWorker.com" etc...

Thanks !

Amazon Worker / com - no problem for a recruitment website, ie. people working in rainforest etc
Apple products / com - fruit related online shop, ie. apple juicers

•••
Trademarks (and big companies have many) are specific. Try a WIPO trademark search for "Apple Products" but even then, if your website isn't related to their trademark it's generally not a problem. Many smaller companies use the trademarked words of bigger companies for unrelated products. Of course, you'll run into problems if you start registering just company names. You'd have a very hard time convincing a domain dispute arbitration panel that "Apple Inc / com" was registered in good faith. There are many big companies around the world that have their .com registered with a minus (-) in the domain and you can register the .com without the minus, but it's problematic legally.

Last edited:
•••
Drop them. TM headaches. (which why you can't list at GD.)

Agree, I registered a BMW.... / com and GoDaddy wouldn't list it

•••
They don't have to buy them off you when you are just reserving them to take from you.

•••
BMW stands for more than 350 word combinations - allacronyms/com/BMW

•••
Hi everybody,

Thanks !

you can't list them at godaddy auctions for a reason.

•••
Parking with advertisements increases the risk of TM issues.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back