IT.COM

advice Domains stolen through phishing attack today

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Amit V

Established Member
Impact
The following domains + 1 NFT have been stolen from my account today through a phishing attack . I had posted a request for assistance on https://discuss.ens.domains. I received instructions from Sandeep_dev ( https://discuss.ens.domains/t/uncla...my-wallet-owns-0-names-to-claim-deposit/657/7 ) to go to the site http://wwwsupportsopensea.io .

I was requested to give in my seed phase and which I did and nothing worked. I then realized that this may be a trap and checked my wallet. The 5 domains and 1 NFT were gone.
My address is 0x691118Bc6EBda4C746932e2a94D018382318136a
the wallet that stole the domains is
0x5B27D531772353E161Ede3a266c0CdC8E8ee4383
. The stolen domains are :
GreenHydrogen.eth
DigitalTwin.eth
DigitalTwins.eth
renewables.eth
QuantumAI.eth
My address is still listed as the controller but not the owner
Any advive will be welcom which helps me recover recover the domains. Thx in advance

Have written to the fraudster on ethscan.io ( under comments) and contacted ens.domains on discord and twitter. No reply.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Really sorry to hear this @Amit V

Never, ever, ever ...ever tell anyone your seed phrase. Not even legitimate support would ask for this. Crypto stuff, consider it a loss. Tough situation

Last edited:
•••
I'm on reddits r/cryptocurrency and sadly this is common. So many "dev" help people asking for seed phrases and once the hacker gets them , you're fncked.

•••
I wouldn't lose sleep over it though. The $$$ hurts of course, but as for the domains themselves -- I just don't at all see the value you see in them. They aren't good domains, imho. Scammers just target anything they can get.

His desire to reclaim those names may have nothing to do with the monetary resale value.

They may have a personal value, or perhaps he needs to access the email accounts.

It could be any number of reasons ;)

Last edited:
•••
Not really assistance but more to the be careful. I never thought it would happen to me but "never say never". Happens very fast. Literally before my eyes and one is helpless to stop it at that moment. Also it is taunting when you see your domains and Nfts being sold before your eyes.
Just for people with Nft's and decentralized names to be cautious.
Sounds like a lesson for us all. As we know with these things, it's impossible to get them back because of what they are. All the best and I hope you're able to prevent this from the future and move forward.

•••
Sneaky creatures, again so sorry

Try negotiating, if this scammer responds. However, that's just me being positive ...I'd be surprised if he did

Last edited:
•••
Nope. have written to ens support . They cant help. Have written on his comments on ethscan. My steps will be to file a police record and sue ens.domains because this guy has been active there since weeks and they are sleeping. The police report should get some things moving as they have his address. Also have informed Rarible and Opensea that the domains are stolen. If they list them , will sue them too.

•••
Thank you everyboday for your support. I have filed a formal complaint at the cybercrime department here and Europol has too been informed. So lets see. Have written to a lawyer today regarding Opensea.io and ens.domains as they are just ignoring my messages.
This is a great community!

Last edited:
•••
@MadAboutDomains The world is becoming more digital as time goes on. There are certain principles in crypto that must be followed, considering you aren't using a bank / have a form of insurance if things go wrong. You are the bank, and you are the insurance ...true decentralisation. You control your destiny

Last edited:
•••
Cryptocurrency is unique in that the only thing protecting your assets is a secret number. That number may be encoded in the form of a seed phrase, a private key, or a password, but it's all the same idea: anyone with that number has irrevocable control over your assets. At the same time, it's impossible to take control over your assets without that number.

The number--in this case, the seed phrase--should never, ever leave your computer. Most of the time it shouldn't even be on your computer; write it down and store it somewhere safe. The point of encoding the number as a seed phrase is so that you can easily write it down or memorize it. Anyone with that number has the ability to take all of your assets, and there is no way anyone besides the thief can undo that. Once the assets are taken, it's irreversible; the only way to get them back is to convince the thief to return them or give up their own seed phrase.

In most cases, there's no oversight body that can reverse transactions. Many people consider this one of cryptocurrency's greatest strengths: nobody can take what's yours without your approval. At the same time, it means that if someone does manage to steal your assets--for example, if you give them your seed phrase--there's no way you can get it back.

If anyone claims otherwise, do not trust them. Do not send them money and do not give them any sensitive information.

I know this advice is a bit late to help in this particular situation, but hopefully it will serve as a warning to others who may find themselves facing similar scams in the future.

Last edited:
•••
These crypto things and NTFs sound like an absolute nightmare!! Two scammers in one day, must be rife out there with people scamming people left right and centre. Probably savvy kids.

I did wonder what assistance were you asking for in this forum? I know very little about crypto or .eth "domains", but I'm intrigued.
Not really assistance but more to the be careful. I never thought it would happen to me but "never say never". Happens very fast. Literally before my eyes and one is helpless to stop it at that moment. Also it is taunting when you see your domains and Nfts being sold before your eyes.
Just for people with Nft's and decentralized names to be cautious.

•••
@jhm thanks. Fell for it as it was from their official website. Even his email was official ( [email protected] ). managed to save two domains but the rest were vanishing before my eyes. Man. I dont wish this to anyone.

Last edited:
•••
•••
@Amit V really sorry to hear that mate.

Report the theft to the Police. Then it’s a waiting game.

If the domains are sold on and they get used for a legitimate purpose then there’s a good chance you will recover them.

If the thief doesn’t sell them then the chances are they are lost until they need renewing. I suspect they won’t pay the renewal costs

I would speak to @Brantlymillegan on Twitter and see if there’s anything they can do to flag the domains. He’s really helpful and this is an interesting point to bring up.
Oh man , I contacted ens.domains on twitter and somebody contacted me saying they were from them. They could reverse the process . The fees would be €300. I send € 320 to cover the gas fees.Then he wanted €800.
So, I fell for two different frauds on the same day. Rrobably I fell for the secound because I was in shock.The damm domains were being transferred before my eyes.
Before it became a comedy show I went to the police.
I had written to ens.domains on twitter but they like opensea have just ignored my messages.

Stolen domains and nfts now being sold under a different name.
https://opensea.io/francis4997

Last edited:
•••
How much digital.eth, quantum.eth are worth. nothing. so don't worry, you got rid of some junk.

•••
How much digital.eth, quantum.eth are worth. nothing. so don't worry, you got rid of some junk.
They are worth millions in my heart my friend. Thats the problem with domains . For somebody nothing but for the owner everything.

•••
I completely agree but same time still taken I don''t suggest brands only generic with odd extensions.
I was in shock to hear of the second fail.

•••
Sorry to hear.

Never, ever, ever, ever, ask for help from strangers in the crypto world - this includes on official forums, telegram and discord channels, etc etc. There are TONS of thieves lying in wait. They will disguise themselves and impersonate the official teams, and often it "seems" legit. Probably 99.99% of all DMs in the crypto space are from thieves and scammers. It's a very ugly side of crypto.

Also never ever give out your seed phrase, private keys, etc. It never ends well.

I wouldn't lose sleep over it though. The $$$ hurts of course, but as for the domains themselves -- I just don't at all see the value you see in them. They aren't good domains, imho. Scammers just target anything they can get.

•••
His desire to reclaim those names may have nothing to do with the monetary resale value.

They may have a personal value, or perhaps he needs to access the email accounts.

It could be any number of reasons ;)
Some domains we just love for no reason at all. I can relate. :xf.wink:

•••
It might pop up on dark web soon, that's most likely it will appear, if you dare to venture into darkweb, please keep yourself safe and do your research on how to browse saf

•••
How about someone try to buy it back? Would that give away a bit more info from this cockroach

•••
These crypto things and NTFs sound like an absolute nightmare!! Two scammers in one day, must be rife out there with people scamming people left right and centre. Probably savvy kids.

I did wonder what assistance were you asking for in this forum? I know very little about crypto or .eth "domains", but I'm intrigued.

•••
•••
•••
Sorry for your loss @Amit V . Had a crypto scam happen to me and the mouldy feeling isn't pretty. I really think OpenSea should take down the listings. Feels like for every great person on the internet there is also a prick. Let's hope you get some of your property back, best of luck with that!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back