Dynadot

Domains sold by forum member repossessed by GoDaddy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I bought two domains, 28924.com and 82742.com, that were advertised by Omer Doron on NamePros.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/82742-com-28924-com-350-each-sold.1101500/

I paid with PayPal and the domains were pushed to my GoDaddy account. Three weeks later, I was notified that the domains were repossessed by GoDaddy. They told me,

"The original purchases of the domains in question were charged to an invalid payment method, resulting in the repossession of products and subsequent refund for initial cost. If the seller reverses charges for the services they purchased on your behalf, we “repossess” the purchase meaning the products are removed from your account. The original price of the domains must be paid in full before they may be returned to your account. We offer you the option of purchasing the domains for the original price of $761.34. This price is the cost of the original receipts connected to these domains which has been refunded.".

The Seller is claiming that they bought the domains from someone, and they weren't the ones that paid with the invalid payment method or did the chargeback. The $761.34 GoDaddy wants is actually more than I paid for the domains. The Seller claims I'm trying to get a refund from the wrong person, because they didn't do anything wrong. I feel it's their responsibility, since they sold them to me. They should go after the person they claim they bought them from.

Originally he said he would give me a refund after he verified the information with GoDaddy. Then he said he wouldn't do it because he thought they were stolen. Then he asked me to post here anonymously and he would issue me a refund if he was convinced it was 100% the right thing to do. When I asked him what it would take to be 100% convinced, he wouldn't answer.

I opened a dispute with PayPal. He lied in the response, claiming GoDaddy told me there was something wrong with my account. GoDaddy never told me there was anything wrong with my account. They just gave me the option to buy the domains back from them. It's an option, not a debt I owe them.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
this is old MO, i got experienced it back 8 years ago, fortunately the fraud purchase is only the registration fee.... Looks like recent scammers were getting smarter and smarter...

•••
He started peddling those domains here in September how long ago was this that you bought them? Seems like GoDaddy should have known there was a payment issue much sooner.

Sorry this happened to you. It’s getting harder and harder to trust.

•••
•••
•••
sad... Trustwothy and ethics should be number 1 for long term sustainable business. Few people sometimes think in short cut and easier way even if its wrong

•••
I dont know how much cost now 5N domains with 4 or 0, but it seams to me 350 per domain is low.
The seller registered oon NP less than 6 months ago, so from where he got these domain for at least less than 300 if he offers them for 350?
I wouldnt buy domain privately in this case.

•••
•••
•••
I bought them mid October. GoDaddy repossessed them in early November. I don't know why it took GoDaddy so long to catch the issue. If it was a stolen card, maybe it took the owner awhile to dispute. If it was a chargeback to get the domains for free, they could have waited before filing. I hope GoDaddy reviews how the original buyer got away with it and why GoDaddy didn't catch it sooner.

He started peddling those domains here in September how long ago was this that you bought them? Seems like GoDaddy should have known there was a payment issue much sooner.

Sorry this happened to you. It’s getting harder and harder to trust here.

Last edited:
•••
If it is true, there is no domain purchase (second hand) we do on any platform or any escrow service (including GD auctions) without risk of loosing the domain later, If the domain was originally acquired by a scammer through "invalid payment"
And you have no way to know that in advance.
@Joe Styler

Last edited:
•••
This is the true version:

I bought 2 domains from Undeveloped.com (82742.com and 28924.com) on September 20th.
I held them for a few time and then William Efron offered me 700$ for the domains so I sold it to him on October 17th.

I transferred the domains to William's GoDaddy account, William confirmed to me that he got the domains and the deal was successful.

On November 7th William got a message from GoDaddy that his domains are repossessed by GoDaddy and if he wants them back, he can purchase them from GoDaddy for 761$.

You can see the email William got from GoDaddy here (William sent me the copy):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmnrnkj2yx2u86i/GoDaddy's response to William's Email.png?dl=0

GoDaddy took the domains from his account and added them to his cart so if he wants he can purchase the domains for 761$.
William is saying that I bought the domains with a stolen credit card and this is why the domains were repossessed, but it's not true.

As I said I have paid for the domains via PayPal as you can see here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bw3m3l3n41ae1mu/Completed Payments I made for Undeveloped.png?dl=0

Also, these are the Invoices from Undeveloped.com:
Invoice for 82742.com:
https://undeveloped.com/invoices/asxw24br/buyer.pdf
Invoice for 28924.com:
https://undeveloped.com/invoices/kw0m4lp0/buyer.pdf

I did not cancel any payment, I just bought 2 domains from Undeveloped.com which is a well-known domains website, and sold them to William because he offered me 700$ for them.
William contacted ME. HE wanted to buy the domains from ME. I did not force him to pay for the domains.
William just offered me 700$ for them so I accepted it.

Now GoDaddy is telling William that something is wrong with his account, and instead of trying to solve it with GoDaddy, he looks for the easy (and the wrong) way to get his domains back which is getting a refund for 700$ from the seller (which has nothing to do with the fact that GoDaddy took his domains) and then purchase the domains from GoDaddy for 761$.

If I was responsible in any way, GoDaddy would have contacted ME, and added the domains to MY cart. but that is not the situation. They sent William an email and gave HIM the option to purchase the domains from them because HE is the owner and held them for more than 3 weeks in his account before GoDaddy contacted him.

*I* didn't take the domains from William's account. *I* didn't cancel any payment. I am 100% legit, you are more than welcome to check my payment history and you will see that I NEVER did a chargeback or my payment wasn't accepted.

I really don't understand why he opened this case instead of keep contacting GoDaddy and explain the situation to them until they give him his domains back. After all, if they are giving him the option to purchase them, they can also give them back to him.
I can't control GoDaddy's actions and as much as I want to help, I will not take the hit for GoDaddy's actions.

•••
This is the true version:

I bought 2 domains from Undeveloped.com (82742.com and 28924.com) on September 20th.
I held them for a few time and then William Efron offered me 700$ for the domains so I sold it to him on October 17th.

I transferred the domains to William's GoDaddy account, William confirmed to me that he got the domains and the deal was successful.

On November 7th William got a message from GoDaddy that his domains are repossessed by GoDaddy and if he wants them back, he can purchase them from GoDaddy for 761$.

You can see the email William got from GoDaddy here (William sent me the copy):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmnrnkj2yx2u86i/GoDaddy's response to William's Email.png?dl=0

GoDaddy took the domains from his account and added them to his cart so if he wants he can purchase the domains for 761$.
William is saying that I bought the domains with a stolen credit card and this is why the domains were repossessed, but it's not true.

As I said I have paid for the domains via PayPal as you can see here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bw3m3l3n41ae1mu/Completed Payments I made for Undeveloped.png?dl=0

Also, these are the Invoices from Undeveloped.com:
Invoice for 82742.com:
https://undeveloped.com/invoices/asxw24br/buyer.pdf
Invoice for 28924.com:
https://undeveloped.com/invoices/kw0m4lp0/buyer.pdf

I did not cancel any payment, I just bought 2 domains from Undeveloped.com which is a well-known domains website, and sold them to William because he offered me 700$ for them.
William contacted ME. HE wanted to buy the domains from ME. I did not force him to pay for the domains.
William just offered me 700$ for them so I accepted it.

Now GoDaddy is telling William that something is wrong with his account, and instead of trying to solve it with GoDaddy, he looks for the easy (and the wrong) way to get his domains back which is getting a refund for 700$ from the seller (which has nothing to do with the fact that GoDaddy took his domains) and then purchase the domains from GoDaddy for 761$.

If I was responsible in any way, GoDaddy would have contacted ME, and added the domains to MY cart. but that is not the situation. They sent William an email and gave HIM the option to purchase the domains from them because HE is the owner and held them for more than 3 weeks in his account before GoDaddy contacted him.

*I* didn't take the domains from William's account. *I* didn't cancel any payment. I am 100% legit, you are more than welcome to check my payment history and you will see that I NEVER did a chargeback or my payment wasn't accepted.

I really don't understand why he opened this case instead of keep contacting GoDaddy and explain the situation to them until they give him his domains back. After all, if they are giving him the option to purchase them, they can also give them back to him.
I can't control GoDaddy's actions and as much as I want to help, I will not take the hit for GoDaddy's actions.
Knowingly or not you bought and then sold "stolen" domains. You cant deny that you are "little" responsible for your buyers loss.

Why not contact undeveloped and on behalf of your buyer, ask for a refund from the original seller with all the proofs

•••
In general seems that GoDaddy is not always very customer service oriented and sometimes takes any opportunity to take what they may from their customers with little regard for their customers' sides of the story. It's a "shoot first and ask questions later" philosophy at GoDaddy.

AVOID GoDaddy hosting company they will shut down all your sites if even one Trademark claim is made

https://www.namepros.com/threads/av...trademark-claim-is-made.1110373/#post-6985135

Last edited:
•••
@Joe Styler
When you win an auction, Godaddy takes days to confirm the validity of your payment. What do they check, if month later they come with an "invalid payment" excuse?

Moreover they have proof of delivery of product, why cant they fight the chargeback claim from the credit card company?

Because, misusing their authority as the registrar, snatching the domain from the current owner is easier path for them.

Last edited:
•••
Knowingly or not you bought and then sold "stolen" domains. You cant deny that you are "little" responsible for your buyers loss.

Why not contact undeveloped and on behalf of your buyer, ask for a refund from the original seller with all the proofs

You think I didn't do it?!

I contacted them and they told me that they can't give me my money back because they paid the seller with bitcoin.

I told them that's stupid because then they don't have control over transactions.

I helped draco, sent tons of emails to godaddy but he did nothing. Juat sent one mail and decided that I am the one who needs to take responsability.

Beleive me I tried to help him but he did nothing. He didn't care about me losing my moneuy. He just wanted a quick way to get a refund.

•••
You think I didn't do it?!

I contacted them and they told me that they can't give me my money back because they paid the seller with bitcoin.

I told them that's stupid because then they don't have control over transactions.

I helped draco, sent tons of emails to godaddy but he did nothing. Juat sent one mail and decided that I am the one who needs to take responsability.

Beleive me I tried to help him but he did nothing. He didn't care about me losing my moneuy. He just wanted a quick way to get a refund.
Thats all you can do.

•••
When you win an auction, Godaddy takes days to confirm the validity of your payment. What do they check, if month later they come with an "invalid payment" excuse?

Moreover they have proof of delivery of product, why cant they fight the chargeback claim from the credit card company?

Because, misusing their authority as the registrar, snatching the domain from the current owner is easier path for them.
True! And the thread opener knows that. He knows he has a better chance getting a refund from me than trying to talk with godaddy , so this is what he did.

•••
•••
So summary is:
1. Someone scammed Godaddy and bought domains with "invalid payment".
(or if is it even true? Who knows? Only Godaddy. Shhh.. )

2. He than sold the domains to Buyer2.

3. He then sold the domains to Buyer3.

4. Godaddy realized and snached the domains from buyer3's account.

So, even though the original victim was Godaddy, the original lapse of due diligence was from Godaddy, Godaddy decided to cover their loss by snatching the domain from current owner Buyer3.

Since they are the authority, they can transfer their loss to anyone by snatching domains.

•••
i often called this kind of MO as "bermuda triangle scam"

@draco should pursue godaddy asking for the first buyer who cancel the payment
while @Omer Doron should pursue undeveloped asking the data of the seller who sell through undeveloped

•••
I talked to GoDaddy multiple times about this. I also messaged @Joe Styler on the forum. They were all quite clear, and quoted me GoDaddy policy. They do not guarantee second hand transactions and they will repossess the domains. I also gave Omer Doron time to verify this with GoDaddy and see if he could convince them otherwise.

GoDaddy NEVER said there was something wrong with my account.

•••
So summary is:
1. Someone scammed Godaddy and bought domains with "invalid payment".
(or if is it even true? Who knows? Only Godaddy. Shhh.. )

2. He than sold the domains to Buyer2.

3. He then sold the domains to Buyer3.

4. Godaddy realized and snached the domains from buyer3's account.

So, even though the original victim was Godaddy, the original lapse of due diligence was from Godaddy, Godaddy decided to cover their loss by snatching the domain from current owner Buyer3.

Since they are the authority, they can transfer their loss to anyone by snatching domains.

INDEED!!!! in my cases Buyer1 is unidentified, Buyer2 were gone and i as Buyer3 got to pay for the domain registration fee.

In @draco vs @Omer Doron case there is missing link, we still didnt know for sure if the undeveloped seller were the same person as the one who do the fraud at godaddy. It could be involving more party and getting more complex....

•••
I contacted undeveloped.com.
They paid the person who sold me the domains with bitcoin and said they cannot cancel the transaction.
I thinl it's stupid to pay people with bitcoin becauase then you can't control the transaction if something like this happens.

•••
INDEED!!!! in my cases Buyer1 is unidentified, Buyer2 were gone and i as Buyer3 got to pay for the domain registration fee.

In @draco vs @Omer Doron case there is missing link, we still didnt know for sure if the undeveloped seller were the same person as the one who do the fraud at godaddy. It could be involving more party and getting more complex....
Doesnt matter. The point is, Godaddy should take responsibility of their own loss. They cant just transfer the burden to someone else.

•••
Back