IT.COM

discuss Domains and the Metaverse

NameSilo
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
Domains and the metaverse, what is the relation? Other than more of the same, eg. a domain name goes to a website, what is the hype all about? So we've got a few huge sales with "meta" domains, so what? Let's not fool ourselves into thinking there is some kind new "thing" here, because there isn't.

Quote from an article:

It's inevitable that some Metaverse projects will turn out halfway-interesting results. But the final vision is a buzzword that sells the fantasy of buying more stuff.

I don't go to virtual worlds to buy stuff, I go there to do the impossible. To peek into artist's minds play, or to play with notions of identity and moral choice.

If I can do that right now, what the heck do I need a Metaverse for?

"a buzzword that sells the fantasy of buying more stuff"
"If I can do that right now, what the heck do I need a Metaverse for?"

Exactly. Just like domain names, this is a buzzword that is really no different than anything we already have: the Internet! Anything different from the Internet, well, it's sure as heck isn't going to use a domain name to get to it, now is it? Or show me otherwise!

Nothing is meta right now. Immersive experiences coming from wearing eye-goggles.. well isn't that virtual-reality? Domain names are an ends to a means, getting from point A to point B, using a naming solution. We already use our devices to connect, share and enjoy, via domain names and if it's not via a domain name, it's via some proprietary system that uses an IP address.

I could be wrong, and I often am, but I am just not seeing the relevance between the metaverse and the domain name madness. Other than a handful of really quality names that may resolve to a website, that in turn will tell us more about the metaverse, but not actually be the metaverse.

Will domain names actually be a conduit for an immersive, virtual experience that is unlike anything we already have? For our sake, I hope so.. but I have my doubts. It's going to be about gadgetry and gimmicks. We want to go full-out meta, well, lets go true haptic or holo to experience it, and let's reign in the ridiculous domain name relation.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have to agree with you, prety any brand, word or EMD domain name can offer the so called metaverse. There are many alternatives, in fact there are niches more important than this Meta thing.

•••
Couldn't agree more. If "meta" becomes the default web experience it'll probably be called the internet. VR is already a big flop. Ridiculous names being registered. Fraught with potential TM issues with meta.

So what, it's a new paradigm of "persistence" and unlimited people online at once in one space.... So what? It doesn't mean it's any good. Noone wants to live in a virtual world. How about keeping the real world good instead of letting a load of ideologically driven kids online who know NOTHING pretend that we can throw away the building blocks of a proven good society in real life whilst at the same time egging on some ridiculous UNHEALTHY virtual world. Throwing away privacy, throwing away real social interaction. If these nutters get their way then they'd have us plugged in all the time like drones.

Look, just to be clear, I want people to succeed, but there's no point in pretending that this is some kind've potential goldmine everyone can piggyback off just cause Zuck says so or even that it will succeed. FB is already dying on its a** so I'm not looking to them for the next big thing either 🤣.

Last edited:
•••
Couldn't agree more. If "meta" becomes the default web experience it'll probably be called the internet. VR is already a big flop. Ridiculous names being registered. Fraught with potential TM issues with meta.

So what, it's a new paradigm of "persistence" and unlimited people online at once in one space.... So what? It doesn't mean it's any good. Noone wants to live in a virtual world. How about keeping the real world good instead of letting a load of ideologically driven kids online who know NOTHING pretend that we can throw away the building blocks of a proven good society in real life whilst at the same time egging on some ridiculous UNHEALTHY virtual world. Throwing away privacy, throwing away real social interaction. If these nutters get their way then they'd have us plugged in all the time like drones.

Look, just to be clear, I want people to succeed, but there's no point in pretending that this is some kind've potential goldmine everyone can piggyback off just cause Zuck says so or even that it will succeed. FB is already dying on its a** so I'm not looking to them for the next big thing either 🤣.
In a nutshell, you've basically covered the whole darn thing. Stop just stop, a few smart people just might see it for what it is and save their money, and we couldn't have that.

An example of just chilling. Metapsyops.com was avail until yesterday (yes I took some interest and it was one I had looked at) so now I can remove it from my list thankfully, but the reason I didn't register it was just because like, so what?? Play the slots, or take a step back. If you look at "psyops" and most major matches, eg. vr, internet, crypto etc, they are all avail and for a reason. What is a seller really going to do with a name like that?

Meta is the Internet, rebranded. And I guess for some it appears to be an "aha" moment that they just didn't see before. Good stuff is coming, but light years away for us still and will need a radical change in the actual technology. Even if domain names become a sort of conduit to it, it will still be far and few between usage of the term "meta" that does it.

Similar to everything we have now, people brand on domains that literally have nothing to do with the actual niche, it is simply a good, memorable name. That's what the focus should always be on.

•••
Although as a pure speculation I invested in meta names(purely as a momentum play) I believe, at the level of companies, any top-down approach will fail.
Saying we're a metaverse company will ultimately fail with most probability. Focus should be on building discrete quality experiences and out of them, eventually, what emerges, is a metaverse. It should be a bottom up phenomenon. The most no nonsense guy at FB, John Karmack touched on this point in his keynote.
I also believe we're living through the most unprecedented bubble in history where things like crypto, nfts etc. are taking off so much.
Once this cycle is over, the hype for the term "metaverse" may go away and true builders will simply go back to building discrete VR and AR experiences.
My belief is Apple will show some character when they launch their product in 2022, they'll stay away from these buzzwords and call it all AR or XR.

•••
Focus should be on building discrete quality experiences and out of them, eventually, what emerges, is a metaverse. It should be a bottom up phenomenon. The most no nonsense guy at FB, John Karmack touched on this point in his keynote.
I like your logic. Particularly metaverse emerging as a result of building discreet experiences. Bottom-up phenomenon's are genuine, unlike something resulting from mass marketing.

I also believe we're living through the most unprecedented bubble in history where things like crypto, nfts etc. are taking off so much.
Once this cycle is over, the hype for the term "metaverse" may go away and true builders will simply go back to building discrete VR and AR experiences.
Something's tugging at me saying crypto isn't going away, and NFTs are probably going to evolve into something.

Metaverse.. this is one buzzword that's truly gone off the rails in terms of naming variations on behalf of us. What I love about mega-hypes in domaining though is there is some really wack irrational stuff you see being registered. Good fun. I think. Meet-A-Verse.com, where poetry and technology collide. Register it today.

•••
•••
As mentioned FB/Meta has started the process of a slow death.....

Apple screwed them over with blocking their ad's - $10 billion lost
Pumping insane money into the metaverse - $15 billion this year, more in the coming years
Lot's and lot's of regulatory issues

The rise of TikTok - It is slowly but surely getting more FB users on it's platform and staying there - The younger generation don't use FB - they use Snapchat (which they tried to buy in 2013 for $3 billion), TikTok, Twitch and BeReal - how can FB position itself as the new internet/metaverse when the tech is years away from coming to fruition and Gen Z & Gen Alpha don't trust them or use their platform

50% of Tech adopters are young people - innovators, early adopters and the early majority make up this number - That's half the market share for the metaverse probably using other platforms without factoring in them losing more users over the next few years...

They still make impressive money and have a huge user base but I think FB/Meta will become another Yahoo in the years to come....

Personally think Google will be the one out of the Big Tech companies that has the most success, they are quietly going about their business, making smart investments in the Web3 space and generally flying under the radar compared to Meta

Or I could be wrong and they smash it out of the park over the next few years........

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back