Dynadot

debate Domaining is over. Domainers must now drop the domains.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Reallybigidea.com

THIS DOMAIN SOLD. Username is not valid.Top Member
Impact
Domaining is over. Domainers must now drop the domains.
Do you agree?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think the tech did not evolved yet enough, so we will use voice, gesture, mind, eye control etc. Even if it appears with AR/VR/XR glasses in metaverse there will be still domains, to remove domains there must be some type of ICANN ruler of one metaverse which will hold one website for everyone, so we will be able to create free websites on their servers, but this will require allot of resources.
This would be bad due to no versatility, privacy concerns, total human control, censure, hide your presence etc.
I have ideas but i m not going to share them, so someone damage our domain biz, I have invest allot of money that is why i must profit first from my investments. There are already some ENS/HNS/ETH that want to take a piece of our pie.

Last edited:
•••
relax and enjoy free scoop.. I do timetravel... also bitcoin will be worth nothing.
Technologies go get obsolete and are replaced by better ones.

Domain names are foundational to the WWW, and this system of accessing websites through them has been working perfectly for over 30 years without any major changes.

For domain names to be dead, you will have to fundamentally alter the way in which the WWW works. I can't imagine that happening any time in the near future (read: 20-30 years down the line).

•••
Even if it appears with AR/VR/XR glasses in metaverse there will be still domains
I don't think the metaverse will take off. Not all new technologies end up being mainstream.

It's usually the technologies that start off as being very boring that really take off decades later (antibiotics, microwave, internet, web, email etc.)

If human interaction through digital devices becomes the de facto way in which we socialize, severe mental issues will become a part of daily life and this will be the beginning of the collapse of the human civilization.

•••
If human interaction through digital devices becomes the de facto way in which we socialize, severe mental issues will become a part of daily life and this will be the beginning of the collapse of the human civilization.

Already happening... Look no further than this thread.
It needs some serious incantation work.

•••
Technologies go get obsolete and are replaced by better ones.

Domain names are foundational to the WWW, and this system of accessing websites through them has been working perfectly for over 30 years without any major changes.

For domain names to be dead, you will have to fundamentally alter the way in which the WWW works. I can't imagine that happening any time in the near future (read: 20-30 years down the line).

right. u cant imagine it so it won't happen. no comment.

•••
I don't think the metaverse will take off. Not all new technologies end up being mainstream.

It's usually the technologies that start off as being very boring that really take off decades later (antibiotics, microwave, internet, web, email etc.)

come on. its already started are u blind.. we spend 100 times more time with our fone than with others.

•••
This is definitely a joke but Im buying

Last edited:
•••
Wasn't something like this foretold in the sci fi novel Dune, where the humans declared no thinking-like technology should be allowed ever again?

•••

Yep, spot on there. On the meta, just because the big guys say it's so doesn't make it so and I think the consumers in the end will have the final say on this.

And the socializing via digital probably has already become the de facto manner in which we do.. or at the very least, it is how we perceive it to be. We still have time to keep face to face sacred. There may come a time when the only safe way to interact will be through digital, so we should appreciate face to face as long as we can for the sake of our future generations.

•••

Agree... the microwave and internet actually evolved over time from prior technologies, being RDF/RADAR and ARPANET.

Last edited:
•••
I will do my part. If anyone has any LLL.com I will offer $10 over reg fee. :)

Beats dropping them.

As for the OP's post...No.

Brad
If you have a single English word , three letter dot com or similar DM I will bail you out for 10 dollars a name. Save yourself and get out now I agree.

•••
@DNGear Drop your XYZ portfolio. Stop making money
Disagree , she should gift her 10 best remaining names to me first. Let’s not be wasteful.

•••
Do you agree?
I somewhat agree with this, dont make domaining your full time is my advise. Just hold the good ones and wait for a good sale.

•••
2022 has been my best year as a full-time domainer.

As domainers, we shouldn't be afraid about thinking outside the box and to be open to change our strategies. What worked five years ago, might not work now.

•••
If you have a single English word , three letter dot com or similar DM I will bail you out for 10 dollars a name. Save yourself and get out now I agree.
The first that downvoted me is no fun. I thought I was hilarious ;)

•••
Do you agree?
The question should be how long before apps replaced domains? Did you guys know over 95% of the facebook & netflix viewers do it by app instead of going to the www. version? And another few zoom users go to the site they use the app. What does all this mean to you people?

•••
The question should be how long before apps replaced domains? Did you guys know over 95% of the facebook & netflix viewers do it by app instead of going to the www. version? And another few zoom users go to the site they use the app. What does all this mean to you people?
It clearly conveys the growth and power and Modern acceptance of apps. However those two audiences are still probably 10% of total internet audience at maximum. I see Apps as an alternative to a stand alone website not a total replacement.

•••

But are the number of websites really decreasing (at the moment)? I haven't got the stats.

•••
This question has been asked for years.

In that time the demand for domains has only grown.

Brad

•••
This question has been asked for years.

In that time the demand for domains has only grown.

Brad
The advantage of the app is you usually don't have to worry about the handle being taken. Saves thousands just having app. What I find odd is how so many domainers are jumping ship and dropping .coms over the 0.xx price increase in renewals, I get that some raised it by $1 taking advantage of people even when the increase was pennies. What would you rather have a solid app name or a .com? Or would you do both?

•••
The advantage of the app is you usually don't have to worry about the handle being taken. Saves thousands just having app.
It is also a downside as you have no control over your company on a third party platform.
You are at the whim of the company/app itself.

Also, 99.99% of small companies will never create their own app. It is not cost effective.
No one is going to download an app for some really narrow use.
What I find odd is how so many domainers are jumping ship and dropping .coms over the 0.xx price increase in renewals, I get that some raised it by $1 taking advantage of people even when the increase was pennies. What would you rather have a solid app name or a .com? Or would you do both?
If a small price increase causes you to drop a lot of domains, your margins are way too narrow.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
It is also a downside as you have no control over your company on a third party platform.
You are at the whim of the company/app itself.

Also, 99.99% of small companies will never create their own app. It is not cost effective.
No one is going to download an app for some really narrow use.

If a small price increase causes you to drop a lot of domains, your margins are way too narrow.

Brad
Their are services that will provide an app for $10 per month so cost isn't a major issue. Their are some avoiding app but for the most part it's essential to have an app. And, yeah mine are good enough not to drop but yeah it is interesting that margins vary from domainer to domainer.

•••
Most apps require a domain name to work to serve their services, you can chk the most popular ones.
One example (telegram.org) for Telegram.

Last edited:
•••
Their are services that will provide an app for $10 per month so cost isn't a major issue. Their are some avoiding app but for the most part it's essential to have an app. And, yeah mine are good enough not to drop but yeah it is interesting that margins vary from domainer to domainer.
My point is their own app is irrelevant to most small businesses. What is someone going to download an app of the local lawncare company?

Having a website gives you far more control, and looks way more credible in marketing than just linking to some facebook page.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Do you agree?
Yes. I think that unless you are going to potentially develop the domains, it probably makes sense to sell them off or find other dispositions for them. There are so many extensions now being offered, and such a diversity of permutations possible. Domain renewal prices are being increased. The market is being flooded with so many domains for sale, that it's hard to even see the ones that are decent.

Others will disagree, and may very well be right. IMHO, in general, unless one is a highly seasoned, insider-connected seller, domains as investments really don't seem to make sense.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back