IT.COM

debate Domaining is over. Domainers must now drop the domains.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Reallybigidea.com

THIS DOMAIN SOLD. Username is not valid.Top Member
Impact
Domaining is over. Domainers must now drop the domains.
Do you agree?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
You know what? I am not btc market expert, but with this sell off, big whales will be able to buy cheaply all individual's btc.

•••
Any proof or at least a clear explanation as to why and how that would happen?

It's just an opinion not based on proofs. Short explanation: everything ends or gets transformed heavily. That's a universal rule. Those periods get shorter and shorter. Domains, DNS, online marketing, etc, work almost in the same way we know for about 3 decades. It's too long time in this age of technology. I expect big changes in domains in 2020's. Those changes will likely overwrite everything that we know today about domains, online marketing, online payments, online shopping and everything related to internet in general.

From technical perspective, domain names have a little to no functionality. One can acess web contents without domain names. Domain names have never been a must, a technical prerequisite for browsing web pages.

So what's the purpose of owning a domain name? For me it's branding as of today. In the past there was also another, SEO. Selling TradeMark'ed domains has been almost always illegal. Then one can easily say, the end of domaining has started since domains lost almost all SEO powers, especially loss of SEO power in Exact-Match-Domains. People still buy 1 words and 2-3 keyword names but those domains have lost their real economic value drastically long time ago. Those names have still some market value but not heavily based on truly calculated profit expectations/projections.

Domaing is not over yet because people still buy domains for various reasons as how the internet works has not changed much. However many domainers would verify that prices are dropping constantly. Prices, demand and supply volumes would be good indicators of the direction. But having real numbers about the whole second hand domain market is simple impossible. So, providing proofs is simply impossible, at least for me.

•••
However many domainers would verify that prices are dropping constantly. Prices, demand and supply volumes would be good indicators of the direction. But having real numbers about the whole second hand domain market is simple impossible. So, providing proofs is simply impossible, at least for me.
Domain prices keep breaking new records, just check dnjournal.

•••
Domain prices keep breaking new records, just check dnjournal.

yea lol the name is dngear and tld is xyz.. 90percent of everyone else is having worst year

•••
The smart domainers* will be buying/investing in great domains at distress prices...

*with a long-term outlook.

•••
Why exactly was this statement made? If I could make my own assumption, I will say this. Domain squatting might be over. There isn't any form of technique or approach to this type of domaining. It never really made any sense to me.

•••
Do you agree?
there is surely a dip in sales and new registrations, there are many factors affecting this dip, but this doesn't mean domaining is over. It's just a rough patch, this too shall pass. Fingers crossed.

•••
Prices, demand and supply volumes would be good indicators of the direction

Short term. yes. Long term. No. Demand will increase, supply decrease. > Prices will go up.

I don't think the demand is actually down, people are just more conscious about where they want to spend their money.

I'm not too worried actually. Domaining is no different from other investments when the inherit value of the domains are there. Beside the scope of this thread, crypto investors have a bigger problem atm, if you'd ask me.

Anyway, the market could be trending downwards for a while but will usually go up again. Could take a couple of years which might be an issue, depending on your business model.

I think if you have the means to buy, now is the time to get better quality domains at a discount.

There's a whole lot of opportunity in lower priced domains which may attract more buyers now as they have lesser funds to spend. So instead of single word .com, they now just may go looking for that 'just ok' 2 word .com, or a brandable.

Also, keeping in mind most people have plenty on their plate given the status of the world, environment, wars raging, these same things will create additional niches with money to spend. Identify them and profit!

Past few decades the domain field has changed by a lot, a couple of times. Just like any other industry it's up to us to adjust our business model to match demand and stay profitable. What worked in the past may not always work that great in the future.

I see a lot of parallels when I compare domaining to real estate. Buying low, if the inherit value of the property is there, will always pay off.

That all being said... Yes, I have sold way less past couple of months. I saw it coming early 2022, adjusted my strategy and things start to pick up already. It isn't easy, it's ok to worry, comes with running a business I guess. For the majority of us there's no easy money. Domaining is a damn harsh and competitive niche. But... There's always hope... Untill there isn't obviously but then there always McD who could use a burger flipper. Save up money, and try again ;) Remember, there's no shame in failure!

•••
there is surely a dip in sales and new registrations, there are many factors affecting this dip, but this doesn't mean domaining is over. It's just a rough patch, this too shall pass. Fingers crossed.
Source for the dip in new registrations?

•••
Screenshot_20220625-211847.png

•••
•••
Short term. yes. Long term. No.

Short term demand and supply data would be used to forecast short term, long term data would be used to forecast long term. Lack of data is the problem. So forecasting is not reliable based on insufficient data. As a comparison, money and capital markets are near-perfect in this respect, real estate is better than domain market for market data.

Demand will increase, supply decrease. > Prices will go up.

I don't think so for the short term and long term (5 years)

I don't think the demand is actually down, people are just more conscious about where they want to spend their money.

People (small investors) are selling their assets in order to finance their debts and increasing costs.

I'm not too worried actually. Domaining is no different from other investments when the inherit value of the domains are there. Beside the scope of this thread, crypto investors have a bigger problem atm, if you'd ask me.

Domains differ in terms of risks and profit expectations. For me domains are risky investments. Cryptos on the other hand are safer and offer higher profits. Also crypto market has sufficient price and volume data compared to domains, is easier to forecast with technical analysis as well as non-technical analysis. From investor point of view, entering to crypto markets requires less knowledge, holding crypto in cold wallets is safer than holding almost all type of assets including domains, no renewal for instance.

Anyway, the market could be trending downwards for a while but will usually go up again. Could take a couple of years which might be an issue, depending on your business model.

Could take 5 - 7 years in my opinion.

I think if you have the means to buy, now is the time to get better quality domains at a discount.

For highly skilled persons in quick buys-sells circles, maybe. I don't think that the next 5 years is the best time to hold domains for long term. Because overall domain prices will likely go down in inflation adjusted value for 5 years or so. Currently the main issue is to protect assets from inflation and other macroeconomic variables, lowering apparent risks, rather than increasing profits. Everyone is different. Someone may make good profits while almost everyone is trying to avoid losses.

These are my personal opinions, not professional investment advice.

Last edited:
•••
So what you're trying to say is that... the sky is falling.

•••
Lack of data is the problem. So forecasting is not reliable based on insufficient data.

I don't agree. There is plenty of data. I'm talking 'serious' domain investing here. 3L .coms, single words, liquids.

I don't think so for the short term and long term (5 years)

Short term probably not. If there's a downtrend, 5-7 years is not that uncommon. Not a big problem if you look at the bigger picture.

People (small investors) are selling their assets in order to finance their debts and increasing costs.

Agreed. But that doesn't mean the demand isn't there. It only means the funds aren't there. Once the economic downturn will come to an end, the funds will be there again with an even bigger demand.

Yes, that's exactly why this is the time to pick them up at a discount :) I bought some LLLL.coms for $45 each the other week. That's ridiculous.

Domains differ in terms of risks and profit expectations. For me domains are risky investments. Cryptos on the other hand are safer and offer higher profits. Also crypto market has sufficient price and volume data compared to domains, is easier to forecast with technical analysis as well as non-technical analysis. From investor point of view, entering to crypto markets requires less knowledge, holding crypto in cold wallets is safer than holding almost all type of assets including domains, no renewal for instance.

This reads to me as if you got lucky on your crypto investments. These kind of assets are actually one of the higher risk assets you can hold. They have no real value. It might go up again eventually but that's a gamble. Not backed by data. They could be rendered useless. Way too early and young asset to support a forecast longterm with reliable data. Real estate however, sure bet for 30 years to come if you can afford to hold. So are domains. The world population isn't going to reduce anytime soon, hence the higher demand.

Could take 5 - 7 years in my opinion.

Yes. 7 years is not uncommon in real estate. It's actually one of the 'golden rules' we invest by. Once there's a 7 year uptrend (give or take), expect things to go down. Same goes for the other way around. Might differ depending on your geo location obviously.

I don't think that the next 5 years is the best time to hold domains for long term. Because overall domain prices will likely go down in inflation adjusted value for 5 years or so. Currently the main issue is to protect assets from inflation and other macroeconomic variables, lowering apparent risks, rather than increasing profits. Everyone is different. Someone may make good profits while almost everyone is trying to avoid losses.

You can either sell below value now or hold for another decade. Again, I'm talking serious domains here. Not brandables, huge domains alike portfolios. Demand will 100% go up. Now is not the time to offload your liquids.

Even so, if you can afford to hold... Hold whatever you can that's any good. Good domains are harder to come by every day. It's always been like this for the past 30 years or so.

That being said... I agree there are some concerns for the average investor... The past 5-6 years have been easy if you'd ask me.

•••
You can't know private sales. It doesn't matter "3L .coms, single words, liquids.". Every domain can be sold privately. Nobody has to disclose which domains they buy/sell at which price.

Short term probably not. If there's a downtrend, 5-7 years is not that uncommon. Not a big problem if you look at the bigger picture.

You can't know where is the bottom in a downtrend. Long time ago I bought a share from stock exchange which lost 80% in value, thought it can't go any down. It went another 50-60% down when I sold. Things could still be expensive after serious losses. You can't know where is the bottom. Watch the prices and volumes. This is one of the critical points showing the importance of sufficient and reliable market data. If market data show people keep selling for big losses, people may know something that you don't know yet. It would be a good opportunity to buy or good opportunity to stop bigger losses, it depends on from which point you are looking from and with which data set you rely on.

Once the economic downturn will come to an end, the funds will be there again with an even bigger demand.

It's usually correct if it's a standard, usual economic downturn. But what if it's not ?

Good domains are harder to come by every day. It's always been like this for the past 30 years or so.

You can't know the future especially in fast changing technology. Domains are part of information age technology and it may be the time for domains to retire. Also domains are bought by new startups. In economic decline, it's not difficult to guess there will be less startups, profits of existing businesses will go down. If overall domain prices go down, 3L coms, 1 words, liquids and all domains are affected. I don't think every cheap thing is an opportunity to buy. I did that mistake long time ago, had an expensive lesson.

•••
You can't know private sales. It doesn't matter "3L .coms, single words, liquids.". Every domain can be sold privately. Nobody has to disclose which domains they buy/sell at which price.

You can't know where is the bottom in a downtrend. Long time ago I bought a share from stock exchange which lost 80% in value, thought it can't go any down. It went another 50-60% down when I sold. Things could still be expensive after serious losses. You can't know where is the bottom. Watch the prices and volumes. This is one of the critical points showing the importance of sufficient and reliable market data. If market data show people keep selling for big losses, people may know something that you don't know yet. It would be a good opportunity to buy or good opportunity to stop bigger losses, it depends on from which point you are looking from and with which data set you rely on.

It's usually correct if it's a standard, usual economic downturn. But what if it's not ?

You can't know the future especially in fast changing technology. Domains are part of information age technology and it may be the time for domains to retire. Also domains are bought by new startups. In economic decline, it's not difficult to guess there will be less startups, profits of existing businesses will go down. If overall domain prices go down, 3L coms, 1 words, liquids and all domains are affected. I don't think every cheap thing is an opportunity to buy. I did that mistake long time ago, had an expensive lesson.

I agree with most although I'm a bit more optimistic that it will all recover. I don't see domains becoming obsolete in the near future.

Unless society collapses obviously :)

•••
Domains are part of information age technology and it may be the time for domains to retire.
What are you doing on NP, seriously?

This phrase speaks clearly to me that you don't understand domains, at all.

I'd suggest making assumptions in fields where you have a far better understanding. You might be inducing the wrong perception in those less experienced, with negative consequences against their performance, portfolios and finances in general.

Everyone in this thread, I'd suggest to ignore such ridiculous claims. Domains aren't retiring, not going anywhere.

It's just a downtrend like in everything else. It will continue to run and will likely start growing again in a few years once the current crisis passes (they all do at some point).

If you don't believe it, look in the sales threads, the domains I'm reporting. Actually my sales are ever increasing not decreasing, at least 2-3 per week, far more than before (aiming to reach one per day soon).

It's just like they said about bitcoin, also about .COM domains, that they are going bust, no they are not.

The web works based on domain names, they are the online real estate.

Saying that they are going to retire is as dumb as saying either that land will no longer exist on Earth, or that it will become either free, not for sale or impossible to be bought/sold anymore.

Dumb claims, sorry but I have to be frank here.

Last edited:
•••
Apparently Really Big Idea has run out of ideas!!! LOL...

•••
The problem is that you really need to learn more and improve the quality of your porfolio.

When i look at your domains (https://creativedomainnames.com/) then i can see that nearly all domains are hand-registered. That is not the way it works (in my opinion).

Domaining is not an get rich quick thing. And it is not an "i register a bunch of domains i like and be successful" story. You need to learn, study daily sales, test some things, buy at the aftermarket, look for valuable opportunities the others don't see and the most important: be patient....

I looked at his names. They are horrible. No wonder he cannot sell them.

•••
Do you agree?
Here's what you're saying:

"Housing prices have dropped and the market is slowing down. Everyone should stop buying houses and get out now."

In actuality if housing prices hit a reasonable point, that's the best time to invest and buy.

•••
Do you agree?

Actually, if you understand online marketing, it is, blockchain names, not domains, click to call google leads, no domain name needed

Most could exist quite well today without using a domain and or even a website

If you are an injury lawyers, getting a click to call lead bypasses all the need for a website

Yet, you need one to buy the click, even though no one goes to site

Now IF you are on a keyword for injurylawyer, guess what that click to call is a fraction of buying it without a keyword, so while it's not needed really, you'd be foolish to pay 300% more for the click to call because you don't have the keyword

But, yeah it's over, haha, kinda

•••
I looked at his names. They are horrible. No wonder he cannot sell them.

Actually, he has a few decent ones, space destroyers .com good book or movie title, home on a lake com, same thing plus could be good for lake home real estate, so while nothing great, not all are horrible, nothing an easy sale in his batch, but a few are decent

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back