IT.COM

debate Domaining - Can it become an addiction?

NameSilo
Watch

Can it become an addiction?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

MrConor

Happy HolidaysEstablished Member
Impact
After years of buying (more) & selling (less) domains - I always seem on an annual basis to have a few domains either not put to use in any shape or form and they expired.

Questioning myself - So why did i buy "the" domain 12 months ago?

Answering myself - At the time the domain may have looked attractive and what not and i bought it, although this was done more than once and domains ain't free.

Do you think like anything, domains should only be bought in moderation (eg. Not owning over 50 or 100 :P )

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Its a bad habit. When you're not making money and you keep on buying ....

It can be a healthy habit thou

•••
Yes, it's addiction, but for me it's cheap addiction. I always try to buy cheap domain, $0.88, $3.99 domain.
But how do you get domains for so low price apart from very rare promotions.

•••
But how do you get domains for so low price apart from very rare promotions.

On .COMs, he/she doesn't.... New G's are another story.

•••
On .COMs, he/she doesn't.... New G's are another story.

All that would be super cool if GtldS were worth reg fee, But they aren't IMO

•••
Some people are addicted to watching TV, and some people are addicted to watching drop and expired lists. I think it's more productuve to look at the lists. The problem with this is that if you don't watch TV, you aren't ill, and you don't follow football, most people don't seem to be able to maintain conversations with you.

•••
in my first years I buy domain a lot about 50,! usually I only buy 5 domain or max are 10 domain! but I since I hangout on NP, I do hand reg more and more! I think what make addictive is because NP and, not buying domain! lol! :xf.grin:

because some ppl said, if you buy domain for $10 or $25, you can sell for $1k sometime 10k usd! and make a lot of profit! at first I never realize it's only a half story! but after 1 years, I finally realize, spend $25 domain and make $10k, you'll need a big of luck!

Yep, my addiction to buying domain right now are slowly decrease, at least I know which one that can be sell or not to end user!

•••
I love the results.

Will keep coming back to check the % :xf.smile:

•••
Wait :xf.confused: Wait :xf.confused: @MrConor
So are you hands in gloves with my wife or is it you who told her that I am addicted to domaining :banghead:
But listen, who cares :singing::whistle:

•••
I'm addicted to logging in to Afternic and checking "pending sales".
Does that count? :-P
"no results found."
"no results found."
and then Bam! - you see a name there. :woot:

•••
Yes it can be an addiction
But it better not
If you are buying domains even knowing you gonna loose some money at the end of the day
Then you are addicted
And you are on an unhealthy situation.

But if you , have a crazy drive& passion, Love what you do,Believe on your success, Keep learning more
And more gaining knowledge & wisdom needed everyday, Work hard, and never give up

Then you are obsessed my friend !

So ..
Better to be obsessed

Not addicted !

•••
Oh no, not at all...is DomainRehab.com free? Or would DomainerRehab.com be better :D

•••
I think that one categorie of compulsive buyers is not mentioned, which are the peope who buy domains which will never have any value but in their mind will be worth a fortune soon. In that perspective domaining is addictive. I have a new name and I can show it online to other members of this forum. Something like that.

Not true? Come on: look at some of these domains? A handful is briljant (like coolrag.com, nanokredit.de, motherinlawday.com) and a handful is rather good. But what about the rubbish? There is plenty available, and it makes me wonder if domaining to some people is a paid way to be part of something.

Maybe I'm wrong. But what if I am right?

•••
The better you do, the more addictive it gets.

•••
Thanks for the topic and idea, just regged BettyFord.co with my lunch money!!! COME ON SNAKE EYES! DADDY NEEDS A NEW PAIR OF SHOES!!!

Last edited:
•••
I think i seen this same type of thread 100 times

•••
•••
I get the DT's it is called domain therapy so i just buy more.

•••
If you're asking then you're addicted. It's time to make the call. :)

2Q==.jpg

•••
I have DomainersAnonymous.com. Who is ready to develop it? :)

•••
Yes it is an addiction, but as any addiction, you at some point will lose money, you will not always win. Do not get in the game if you think that you will earn money with every domain.

•••
Thanks for all the response to this. Yes it does seem to be more of risk assessment but you could say the same about gambling. Even if you're only going to bet as much as you can afford to lose, at the end of the day you still may be an addict.

•••
Yes it is an addiction, but as any addiction, you at some point will lose money, you will not always win. Do not get in the game if you think that you will earn money with every domain.

The thing is some people just buy domains, don't earn any money from it and in some cases dont even develop on it. Domain just sits there in the registrar till renewal - Then you freak out when you get the 5 Days to expiry notice and try flog it for $5-10 :D

•••
After years of buying (more) & selling (less) domains - I always seem on an annual basis to have a few domains either not put to use in any shape or form and they expired.
It's all relative. If you don't have a certain number of useless domains every day/month/year to reevaluate, you are not taking enough risk to succeed.

•••
It's all relative. If you don't have a certain number of useless domains every day/month/year to reevaluate, you are not taking enough risk to succeed.

Aye but that's the million dollar question "certain number of domains" - If you have max 10 domains you're not an addict - if you have 100 then you are.. :cautious:

•••
Aye but that's the million dollar question "certain number of domains" - If you have max 10 domains you're not an addict - if you have 100 then you are.. :cautious:

Whatever number you have, if they attract leads and sales your a success and again, If you don't have a certain number of useless domains every day/month/year to reevaluate, you are not taking enough risk to succeed at an even higher level..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back