IT.COM

Domainers who make money online by various other means than selling domain names.

NameSilo
Watch

TLDfy

Impact
Request domainers who have a knack to make regular income online by various legit means other than selling domain names to respond to this thread with their method used to generate consistent online income. Appreciate valuable info.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are 3 main options imo:
  1. Selling
  2. Parking
  3. Developing websites with ads/affiliate
1. Requires a lot of money and limited time
2. Requires time and money
3. Requires a lot of time and limited money

Which is the best? The one where you have a working method!
In this forum people work on 1/2/3 in the described order because of the income.

Last edited:
•••
I do affiliate marketing in a specific niche. It's probably the easiest way to start getting recurring income without web development skills. If there's any services you already use that offer a referral program, it's not hard to create ads and start getting referrals.

It does take time to get good at marketing, ad conversions, demographic targeting and such. If a referral program offers 10% commission, then it only takes 10 referrals to *technically have 1 customer for a profitable business model. And the best part is you don't have the operating costs or overhead of running that business.

•••
Thanks for the post, @TLDfy and welcome to NamePros! It is a good question, and I am sure of interest to many. It is a topic that I have thought about writing an article for the NP Blog on, and may in the not too distant future.

Personally, I make a small amount on writing (and could more but in retirement turn down various offers), have been offered to consult but have always turned it down, do a tiny amount of affiliate but only for businesses I genuinely use and believe in, make a tiny amount with Adsense, and I think that is it.

I do from time to time enter SH Naming Contests, but so far have not made anything that way, but many do.

Others with good graphical skills make money designing logos and similar on freelance sites, for marketplaces, or right here on NamePros.

I look forward to hearing what others have to say on the topic.

If I do write an article, will try to remember to link it in this discussion.

Bob

•••
Writing and logo are high-risk businesses with AI.
I would like to use affiliate but it seems to me that all services impose a site. It would be convenient for me to redirect the whole domain to an affiliate link. It is an onerous job when you have hundreds of almost unproductive domains for which to create a single home page ; doing a simple redirect at the registrant level would be a whole different story.
Moreover Adsense approval now it's difficult.
So parking remains the most profitable and simple way for my domains (even with the last big revenue decrease).

•••
Writing and logo are high-risk businesses with AI.
I guess high risk if one is planning to do something to invest funds in them. I do agree that AI will particularly impact those two areas, and their will be, already are, fewer opportunities than a year ago. Some of the well-publicized AI writing goofs are having people realize there is still a need for strong editing of AI content, though, even if some content generation opportunities are gone.

But yes, I agree, and a good point to be made.

Definitely Adsense is nowhere near as lucrative as ten years ago, and it is a longer process to get a new site approved, as you say.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back