Dynadot

poll Domainers: How much to quit your job in 2022?

NameSilo
Watch

What do you need to earn each month to quit your job?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Nothing, I'm already rich enough

votes
    5.5%
  • Up to $500 / month or more

votes
    5.1%
  • $1000 / month or more

votes
    9.2%
  • $1500 / month or more

votes
    5.1%
  • $2000 / month or more

votes
    9.9%
  • $3000 / month or more

votes
    10.7%
  • $4000 / month or more

votes
    6.2%
  • $5000 / month or more

votes
    13.6%
  • $6000 / month or more

votes
    2.7%
  • $7000 / month or more

votes
    1.8%
  • $8000 / month or more

votes
    2.1%
  • $9000 / month or more

votes
    0.8%
  • $10000 / month or more

votes
    17.7%
  • Any amount over $11000 / month (post in comments)

votes
    9.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
Simple question for part-time domainers. How much money do you need to earn from domaining in 2022 to quit your job and become a full-time domainer? (amount in American $ dollars).

Edit: Please state your country in comments (thanks @wallet2it).

entrepreneur2.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Depends on where you live….for some areas $11000 a month won’t even be enough

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Many variables involved. Where do you live, outgoings, lifestyle...you'll be getting a full range of results

Focussing on the UK, and nothing extravagant, typically £20k - £30k annually is ideal. For most people, that works. If below this, minimum wage territory is roughly £15k. Overall, £20k - £30k in the UK is a fair range

USD converted, that's $30k - $40k. So, typically, I'd have to say $3,000 / month or more (for the UK)

Last edited:
•••
$1k or a little more just what I really need! any VA offers? :)

•••
Hi

even if, or when you quit your "job"...
you still got to put in work managing your portfolio of domains.

so, you're just trading one line of work, for another.

best to keep your gig and do domaining at same time, if/when possible.
as seen with covid, you never know what can happen.

if your job was paying healthcare, dental, life, retirement plans, along with SS deposits,
then when you quit, now all that has to be covered by domains.

if you got a home, family, and expenses associated.... all that has to be covered by domains as well.

sure, it's possible to make more money, buying and selling domains, than a regular job.
but as your lifestyle changes accordingly, you might have to work harder just to sustain it.

imo....

•••
$1k or a little more just what I really need! any VA offers? :)
$ 1000 / month. That's low for U.K. Where you located bro? I might move there.

Last edited:
•••
You can't quit your job based on your current monthly domain profit only.

•••
You can't quit your job based on your current monthly domain profit only.
I may have misunderstood your reply @topdom but in any case it depends how you budget. Pay for things up front or ahead and you get a massive discount than paying monthly. Also depends how you monetise your domain names. If you lease domains then it's regular income. If you put ads on domains then it's also regular income, especially if you are reseller too. If you successfully flip domains I imagine it's regular income. Therefore the biggest risk for a domainer is relying on big money sales. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
•••
I could earn over and above with the domains i have if i had all of a sudden time to build things. If we are domainers surely all of us have the names to temp ourselves into being own end user. I have enough to take on industries.

•••
Me, I already fire my boss but now more too freelancing.
With a target of 2k/m. 4k better.

•••
Perhaps another (related) question to ask is how many people are full time domainers making enough money to do this full time.

•••
if i had all of a sudden time to build things
You'll never passively find the time. You have to actively make the time.
If we are domainers surely all of us have the names to temp ourselves into being own end user.
In the end the temptation to develop my domain names was too overwhelming.
I have enough to take on industries.
You're right. It's not even that difficult to take on big brands if you have high qual targeted content.

Last edited:
•••
Perhaps another (related) question to ask is how many people are full time domainers making enough money to do this full time.
Good idea @Nametra.com. Why don't you go ahead and start a thread so we can all find out.

•••
You'll never passively find the time. You have to actively make the time.

In the end the temptation to develop my domain names was too overwhelming.

You're right. It's not even that difficult to take on big brands if you have high qual targeted content.
If i quit my day job I have something to work on right now it covers it all.

•••
I'm really surprised four people need to earn $ 11000 / month ($ 132000 / one year ) or above to quit their job when the estimated average U.S. family income in fiscal year 2021 is around half $ 79000 https://www.huduser.gov/portal/datasets/il/il21/Medians2021.pdf. More so because of the obvious difficulty in earning $ 11000 / month from domain name investment. Answers would be appreciated. Cheers.

Last edited:
•••
I'm really surprised four people need to earn $ 11000 / month ($ 132000 / one year ) or above to quit their job when the estimated average U.S. family income in fiscal year 2021 is around half $ 79000 https://www.huduser.gov/portal/datasets/il/il21/Medians2021.pdf. More so because of the obvious difficulty in earning $ 11000 / month from domain name investment. Answers would be appreciated. Cheers.
There isn't a house I could drive to without refilling under a million here.

•••
I think this question can be taken and answered in a couple of ways...

How much do you need to earn from domaining to maintain your current lifestyle (or match the earning from your main source of income)?

Or...

How much would you be happy enough earning through domaining to go full time even if it meant living a simpler life?

Some people would be happy to trim the monthly fat (tv packages, meals out, gym membership, smaller house etc) and earn less if earning less was more enjoyable and less stressfull.

•••
I think this question can be taken and answered in a couple of ways...

How much do you need to earn from domaining to maintain your current lifestyle (or match the earning from your main source of income)?

Or...

How much would you be happy enough earning through domaining to go full time even if it meant living a simpler life?

Some people would be happy to trim the monthly fat (tv packages, meals out, gym membership, smaller house etc) and earn less if earning less was more enjoyable and less stressfull.
You're right @D Haynes. I assume (no data, maybe a new future thread?) that most people would be willing to trim the costs to be a full-time domainer. However I'm quite comfortable on my current salary and I would only quit my job for the same (or more) money. As a contractor I could have a good month domaining, finish my current contract then find another contract if my domaining income fell below the line.

•••
Domain business is funny because you DO NOT have average income per month.
Some months you sold a bunch of names and some months you do not have any sale at all.

Last edited:
•••
Another factor except for income, is in what level you are satisfied with your current (main) job. I am not, and i plan to study something else to find an easier job to be able to do domaining easier. It's big decision, but life's quality is more important for me. Life is short and sometimes we forget it.

Last edited:
•••
@kite26 Great point. The question implies that you are not happy with your job (or not happy enough) , and if better income offered you'd leave it behind. That's not the case with me, for example. I run a small travel agency for more than a decade already and even before covid ''era'' the travel industry is a constant wave - seasonal to say the least, and there are other factors as well. Now obviously it struggles big time. That's why I am pretty happy with the combination: my travel business + domaining. When they travel knocks the door, you just minimize your time with names. When you enter low season or down time, you spend much more time domaining. A perfect combination to me.
Bottom line - I can't really pick an answer to the poll, I'd invent my own:
Happy with things they are now, jobwise.

Last edited:
•••
Back