IT.COM

discuss [Resolved] Domainer Loses $26k On A Stolen Domain!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Darn! Another scam and this time it is an experienced domainer James Booth.

James must have thought he was making a sound acquisition as he transferred approximately 26k to escrow for CQD.com. Instead, after completing the escrow, the domain was taken from his account by the registrar without notification and returned to the "true" owner.

Turns out the person that sold him the domain CQD.com, may not have been the true owner.

Apparently this incident involves several parties including the registrar and the escrow.

Thanks to Theo over at DomainGang for the tip on this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@toughdomains He used an escrow service. It can happen to anyone (a domain can be removed from your account and pushed to another account), unless you transfer the name away from netsol

@BoothDomains glad you got your domain name back

•••
glad its resolved.
so if I understand correctly... no lawyers would mean no happy ending here.

•••
I noticed most of the scam stories I read about on Namepros usually has no escrow service. Is this a new trend or are people not just interested in using escrow?

•••
Congrarts @BoothDomains !
This is a truly amazing story with a happy end!
I hope your heart rate is now normal:xf.wink:

•••
Hi All, Just wanted to inform you I got the domain back! I am extremely happy right now. I have no more words. Peace out
Good to hear but having just glossed over this thread I am wondering what about the original owner if the name was stolen? As mentioned I have only quickly glossed over all this

•••
I got my lawyers involved. They got me the name back.
Congratulations, must be a huge relief.

I hope when and if you can, that you tell is a bit more because we have so many stories of domains disappearing from Netsol accounts, and this is the first time I've heard of one being put back into an account after doing the unannounced Netsol disappearing act.

You'd think they could just lock a domain down in the event of a dispute, not disappear it into another account.

Maybe they will rebrand as Nethole, or use the available domain name NetworkCollusions.com, or NetworkCollisions.com, or NetlossSolutions.com, just to be clearer about what they offer.

Last edited:
•••
I noticed most of the scam stories I read about on Namepros usually has no escrow service. Is this a new trend or are people not just interested in using escrow?
He already said he used escrow
@BoothDomains Congratz!

•••
Something has to be done about NetSol, just less than a month ago they took back DomainNames.com from @owntype . This has to be stopped.

•••
He already said he used escrow
@BoothDomains Congratz!

Thanks for letting me know. Just read the initial post. I didn't go through the comments.

Anyway, I am glad it was resolved

•••
Yes, I don't know why anyone would ever send money on a phone call and a promise. Makes no sense. Is it greed?

@uglydork Can you believe this?
This can happen to anyone - I don't care how careful you think you are.

•••
Good to hear but having just glossed over this thread I am wondering what about the original owner if the name was stolen? As mentioned I have only quickly glossed over all this
You're right, that needs clarification. I don't believe this was a stolen domain.

•••
I bet last night was a much better sleep. :)

•••
•••
Why wouldn't he simply use Escrow.com? This is nuts it's not $260 it's 26K
He did. It was through escrow. Escrow closed and he received the domain. Then....NetSol simply took the domain.

•••
@BoothDomains Glad to know that you got your domain! That's wonderful news...

•••
He did. It was through escrow. Escrow closed and he received the domain. Then....NetSol simply took the domain.

ok correct me if I'm wrong but in every life situation out there.. where there is illegal activity or theft... whoever is responsible is punished.

can someone explain how it is possible that in domain industry, in the many reported situations like this one, netsol is not punished for its incorrect actions and even worse, permitted to continue to do biz.. and thus commit even more such actions.

I must say this confuses me.

•••
@BoothDomains
Would you like to shed some more light on how did you get the domain back? Figured out who was behind it?

•••
He did it outside of Afternic it looks like, @Joe Styler quoted:

We looked at it pretty closely and we don’t see any reason to believe cqd.com is stolen. […] We don’t have any record of 26k coming in on this domain so maybe it was somewhere else and maybe someone else is pretending to sell the domain they don’t own but this listing looks to be from the real owner and the floor offer is 150k so I don’t think anyone would be able to try and send in 26k on the name. There is also a lot of other evidence that seems to a few people here who looked at it including myself that the domain is listed by the rightful owner correctly.”

YES! MY (yes my) domain cqd.com was ALMOST stolen. The thief used escrow.com as the sale platform. they reported 19k for the sale. JAMES BOOTH must have known "if it sounded to good to be true, it probably is!" he's a reseller. i suspect he wanted to triple his money on MY domain. I would appreciate everyone recognizing the I am the VICTIM here! C'mon....my domain is worth a lot more than 19k or even 26k. i am extremely ANGRY about this and i am looking for retribution from my former hosting company, the thief in CA, and even james booth if he doesn't STOP harassing me! Slander is what i am thinking of.

•••
I did. The whole thing is really fishy. I called, emailed and did all the checks. It seems she told Web.com one of her employees sold the name without her authorization which is a lie.

I have all the emails from her.

BS!!! YOU NEVER SPOKE TO ME!
-rebecca

•••
YES! MY (yes my) domain cqd.com was ALMOST stolen. The thief used escrow.com as the sale platform. they reported 19k for the sale. JAMES BOOTH must have known "if it sounded to good to be true, it probably is!" he's a reseller. i suspect he wanted to triple his money on MY domain. I would appreciate everyone recognizing the I am the VICTIM here! C'mon....my domain is worth a lot more than 19k or even 26k. i am extremely ANGRY about this and i am looking for retribution from my former hosting company, the thief in CA, and even james booth if he doesn't STOP harassing me! Slander is what i am thinking of.
Wow, serious accusations, maybe give a better back story, and the people you have talked to along the way, something broke down somewhere. What are you doing about getting your name back now? When did you notice it was missing?

If you are saying it is stolen, you should get the word out so it is not resold, and resold, so the process can stop, until it is resolved, did escrow tell you how someone passed verification?

Last edited:
•••
Hi All, Just wanted to inform you I got the domain back! I am extremely happy right now. I have no more words. Peace out

Whenever someone makes an accusatory type post, and then closes it out with a "I have no more words" ending, versus a post adding more details to what happened, there is always more to the story.

For example here too, where OP claimed that exabytes had taken his money, kept his money, and taken his domains:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/be...-domains-with-no-notice.1064600/#post-6570161
then posted:
I don't care to discuss it at this point
OP there too eventually made a "don't wish to discuss it" further type post,
then later admitted that he had gotten a full refund, a full year prior, for each domain.

Just the way it goes. You can't come in here and make a lot of noise and then suddenly shut up unless there is more to the story, that you found out and do not wish to discuss, usually something that contradicts what you originally posted.

I am not taking sides, just saying that I knew there were two sides to this once OP clammed up. Now, in OP's defense, if I were his lawyer I'd be telling him to shut up too, at least in public.

Last edited:
•••
Whenever someone makes an accusatory type post, and then closes it out with a "I have no more words" ending, versus a post adding more details to what happened, there is always more to the story.
3L.com's have become a lot of work if someone isn't attempting to steal it from you, they are trying to udrp it from you. Netsol is hard to avoid since many aged names still reside there.

•••

yes could be.. but then again we were all once so happy that it left us speechless

•••
The situation is very specific. Here we have the registrar with a questionable reputation who acted unusually in aspects of chaning accounts, an escrow company that had an ownership change and downgraded their service level to such an extend that a lot of professional domainers stopped using them, and a transaction where at least one party is not telling the truth. Imho, such a combo may only be resolved in appropriate court. If the memory serves me correctly, current registrant is also a namejet seller and very likely has an active sellers account. Hope that the domain in question will not become listed for sale/auction on namejet or otherwise sold in the meantime, as another ownership change will only complicate the things.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe a storm is coming that is unlike any you have seen before. No comment!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back