IT.COM

discuss [Resolved] Domainer Loses $26k On A Stolen Domain!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Darn! Another scam and this time it is an experienced domainer James Booth.

James must have thought he was making a sound acquisition as he transferred approximately 26k to escrow for CQD.com. Instead, after completing the escrow, the domain was taken from his account by the registrar without notification and returned to the "true" owner.

Turns out the person that sold him the domain CQD.com, may not have been the true owner.

Apparently this incident involves several parties including the registrar and the escrow.

Thanks to Theo over at DomainGang for the tip on this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
i am owed my 22 year old domain back. he didn't buy it from me. it is stolen. everyone knows it. and the naysayers....well there's always a batch in the crowd no matter what the discussion is.
I do not disagree that you should get your domains back (I do not know with 100% that you are really the original registrant but believe that to be true). What I do disagree is that the current registrant should simply hand it over without a full due process.

•••
UDRP has been used a few times to recover stolen domains.
It can work if:
  1. complainant is able to demonstrate TM rights of some sort
  2. respondent does not respond (most of the time a respondent who does not respond loses by default but not always)
#1 is doable maybe, if strongly documented. But I predict that #2 will fail just like @tonyk2000 explained.
This route has failed many times too, I quoted two recent examples (they were botched cases to begin with but still).
UDRP arbitrates TM disputes, but not ownership disputes like those stemming from partnerships gone sour. Of course UDRP is more expedient than a legal fight but the core of the issue here is not about TM. I hope Rebecca is being properly advised and assisted with this. I am not very optimistic.

•••
Some good advice given here, and all for free, but maybe time to start a go fund me page for yourself, and get some serious legal muscle behind your case.

Nobody is taking you seriously right now, when you spend money, you make everyone else spend money at which point they will take you seriously.

•••
@spoiltrider do not waste time and money with UDRP... it is a dead-end, as is everything related to ICANN.

Both these emails are being checked, and are opening new emails. But what alleged scammer wouldn't open an email with the subject offering $50k for each 3 letter domain ;)

Show attachment 85061

Does anyone think he/she/they are watching this thread?

very well done!

•••
Has anyone made an exact chronology of calendar dates of what happened according the emails and paper trail? Or at least was reported to have happened here? When CQD.com was first stolen, when first sold, when sold the second time by the alleged hacker, the date it was removed by NS. The recovery date I recall seeing in the first few pages.

This is up to 1026 posts. Thanks.

it is being done...

•••
AFAIK, it was alleged to have been stolen AFTER he'd purchased the domain. Not before. Prove otherwise with hard evidence and not conjectures, theories and assumptions.

it depends on your point of view. when did Rebecca claim that the domain was stolen? it seems after @BoothDomains bought it. when it was known that shaddy things had been happening with the domain? since September/October 2017, and during which a domainer/broker bought the domain and then return it after suspecting of fraud. then this can also go against @BoothDomains due diligence. Why Rebecca (@spoiltrider ) did not act during these several months? She has a very good reason and she probably will use it with her lawyers...

Your conjectured connection between Jack/Jake and @BoothDomains as well as assumption that someone with one of those two names is the buyer is at best a guess and at worse an incorrect belief. Until you can provide evidence proving this theory unequivocally, it does not hold any weight where it really matters, in a court of law and not the court of public (read namepros) opinion.

They are not conjectures or innuendos. it has been proved that Jack (other times Jake) is connected with @BoothDomains , that he made the contacts with the alleged Rebecca when making the deal, and he has responded do emails involving James Booth and Escrow.com (@Jackson Elsegood ). Escrow has remained silent on this probably to see if they can get pass thru this without anyone noticing that they HAD a bug on their system and that there is a possibility that this bug may have been used to change information of one of the parties and so compromising their KYC/AML system OR, if the bug had been resolved already, then someone forged an Escrow document, which is also a serious matter.

Personally, I don't like @BoothDomains especially due to their involvement in the shill bidding scandal at NJ (and a very very weak argument on that thread) and think their ethics are at a standard much below what they should be. And further still, I don't think offering to sell the domain to the previous registrant is a nice gesture (far from magnanimous as some have indicated it). I think their hands are not fully clean.

and that is a *very good point* that people insist to forget or to hide under the carpet.

But, in this case, I don't think they should merely give the domain back without all facts available and judged by a court of law. For all I know, the person claiming to be the previous registrant either isn't or is misrepresenting facts. I don't know either and nor am I (or anyone on this thread) a judge in a court of law to pass judgement. Form opinions all you (you in the 3rd party) want but that changes nothing for either of the alleged victims. And consequently, as much as many folks here want him to return the domain, answer their insinuations/allgations/accusations/questions etc., it is either's choice to do so. And as it is "alleged" that the new buyer has retained legal counsel, pretty sure they'll listen to the counsel more than anyone else here despite calls and warnings to share evidence here.
He owes nothing to anyone here.

the big question is: why did Network Solutions returned the domain to @BoothDomains when there is clear evidence of suspicious activity with the domain name prior to the sale, and without reaching Rebecca first to listen to her side of the story? Network solutions does not deserve any credit on my book so they are guilty until proved otherwise. Without this James Booth would not have any case whatsoever. And would now already be licking his wounds and learned his lesson to make a due diligence first and accept that this is part of this business, special when you market yourself as a guy moving millions in domain sales in 2 years.

Last edited:
•••
it depends on your point of view. when did Rebecca claim that the domain was stolen? it seems after @BoothDomains bought it.

And hence my comment -
AFAIK, it was alleged to have been stolen AFTER he'd purchased the domain. Not before. Prove otherwise with hard evidence and not conjectures, theories and assumptions.
I still don't see any evidence proving otherwise.

They are not conjectures or innuendos. it has been proved that Jack (other times Jake) is connected with @BoothDomains , that he made the contacts with the alleged Rebecca when making the deal, and he has responded do emails involving

Are you saying with certainty that both the Jack/Jakes are the same? Also, isn't it interesting that it is being claimed that there was a jack/jake who was in contact with Rebecca when his name itself isn't known with certainty. That, to me, is conjecture.
Please provide proof of your claim above.

the big question is: why did Network Solutions returned the domain to @BoothDomains when there is clear evidence of suspicious activity with the domain name prior to the sale, and without reaching Rebecca first to listen to her side of the story? Network solutions does not deserve any credit on my book so they are guilty until proved otherwise. Without this James Booth would not have any case whatsoever. And would now already be licking his wounds and learned his lesson to make a due diligence first and accept that this is part of this business, special when you market yourself as a guy moving millions in domain sales in 2 years.
I agree fully with this. Network Solution's behavior is a massive head scratcher. Why would they simply give away the domain to the current registrant is beyond my understanding...

•••
I was going to upload a cheeky "beating a dead horse" Google image here, but then I realized that Rebecca is a horse owner and equestrian that recently lost one of her gracious thoroughbreds and refrained from doing so, to avoid upsetting her day! My late mom would have been proud of me, for not opting to go for the cheap laugh at someone else's expense! Yes, that is the sound of me, patting myself on the back! :cigar:

•••
And hence my comment -
I still don't see any evidence proving otherwise.

Rebecca will disclose why she has done so if she wishes to since @BoothDomains have been advised to stay shut...

Are you saying with certainty that both the Jack/Jakes are the same? Also, isn't it interesting that it is being claimed that there was a jack/jake who was in contact with Rebecca when his name itself isn't known with certainty. That, to me, is conjecture.

Yes, Jack and Jake are the same. see previous posts, about 4 pages behind. It was Jack/Jake that was reaching Rebecca. We are way past that point...

@spoiltrider has now at least one straight line of attack. she has the evidences of the hack of her hosted account and emails; she has the evidence from WHOIS changes; she has faked documents; she only needs now to put the heat under Network Solutions to disclose why they let the domain go, from the owner for 20 years, without due diligence. It will be funny to watch they defend against IPs tracks, account information changes, transfer of domain to other registrars, and some more juicy stuff.

•••
@spoiltrider has now at least one straight line of attack. she has the evidences of the hack of her hosted account and emails; she has the evidence from WHOIS changes; she has faked documents; she only needs now to put the heat under Network Solutions to disclose why they let the domain go, from the owner for 20 years, without due diligence. It will be funny to watch they defend against IPs tracks, account information changes, transfer of domain to other registrars, and some more juicy stuff.

Exactly. This should be settled in court and not on Namepros. I think we're way beyond this being settled amicably

•••
i don't agree. decision in courts is a side action. discussion in namepros and dissecting the deal is a must to the community.

•••
maybe time to start a go fund me page
Indeed, if Rebecca has difficulties to pay her lawyer(s) - it may be the solution. If the funds will be used to pay the lawyer(s) - I'll donate some $$$ and hope other members will... It is also due to professinal domainers interest - it would be great if the court could analyse and pronounce on Netsol and Escrow.com business practices.

•••
I would say most definitely, as this was orchestrated by someone with a superior knowledge of the domain industry and it's security vulnerabilities!

Well Mr. and/or Mrs. alleged Hacker / Thief -- You were sloppy. And you didn't cover your tracks as well as you think. I recommend you return the alleged money allegedly @BoothDomains (or Jack) allegedly paid you.

@BoothDomains -- Do you (or your lawyer) have any objection to posting (or emailing Rebecca) the phone number(s) you (or Jack) allegedly corresponded with? To include whether or not you called them, OR if they called you. When reporting this crime, I'm sure the authorities would like to know this information.

Last edited:
•••

HERE -- From Page 20 @BoothDomains confirms Jack shared the communication he (Jack) had with the seller.

Jack is a friend and he brought CQD.com to my attention and I purchased it. He shared all his communications with the seller with me prior to the purchase and everything seemed legitimate.

Proof that both Jack/Jake are the same? Well, Jack [email protected] (which was the name attached to the email screenshots) signed his name as Jake in the email screenshots. This indicated (to me) that the seller might have known Jack by the name Jake. Forensics (soon to be shared) solidified this belief.

More HERE -- from page 30

Last edited:
•••
Also, isn't it interesting that it is being claimed that there was a jack/jake who was in contact with Rebecca when his name itself isn't known with certainty. That, to me, is conjecture.

To clarify, Jack/Jake was believed (per the real Rebecca) to be in contact with somebody other than the real Rebecca. e.g. what is assumed to be an alleged hacker / thief that allegedly compromised the real Rebecca's email(s), and NetSol account, to allegedly sell CQD.com to allegedly James (or maybe Jack?) allegedly without the real Rebecca's permission / authorization.

Last edited:
•••
To clarify, Jack/Jake was believed (per the real Rebecca) to be in contact with somebody other than the real Rebecca. e.g. what is assumed to be an alleged hacker / thief that allegedly compromised the real Rebecca's email(s), and NetSol account, to allegedly sell CQD.com to allegedly James (or maybe Jack?) allegedly without the real Rebecca's permission / authorization.
Thanks Grilled. If I'm undertstanding you correctly, Jack/Jake did corresponded with someone who they *thought* was Rebecca, in good faith, but in reality it turned out was the thief. Right?
I don't see this as the buyers fault in this case. They WERE attempting to do their due diligence

•••
Thanks Grilled. If I'm undertstanding you correctly, Jack/Jake did corresponded with someone who they *thought* was Rebecca, in good faith, but in reality it turned out was the thief. Right?
I don't see this as the buyers fault in this case. They WERE attempting to do their due diligence

it depends on how did they made contact.

using email? sorry, that isn't due diligence since the email is the first thing to be compromised.

using phone? what phone number did they reached? did they reach the correct phone numbers, the ones that were shown on WHOIS history and other domains owed by Rebecca and other information about her that can be found on an Intenet search? or were they reached by a call back? last case is not due diligence because income calls can be spoofed.

did they looked at WHOIS records and if the domain was for sale on the major platforms? because if they did not then that is not due diligence. a look into WHOIS history would signal immediately that something could be wrong, specially to a professional domainer. looking to the major sales platform would lead them to see the domain for sale at $150k. Rebecca been willing to sell for just 2?k would be a big drop in expectations. this for itself doesn't mean much but combining with other information would signal red flags. so there was also not due diligence here.

•••
I cant understand something..
If somebody buy so expensive domain, why not to ask a registrar support team about the domain transfer and push history?
This is so easy, just contact the support and if the domain just came to the seller account, check from where and ask other support..
If the domain was at least a few month or years on the same account this is the sign that everything is ok

•••
I cant understand something..
If somebody buy so expensive domain, why not to ask a registrar support team about the domain transfer and push history?
This is so easy, just contact the support and if the domain just came to the seller account, check from where and ask other support..
If the domain was at least a few month or years on the same account this is the sign that everything is ok

generally, Registrar's support is a joke, particularly in Network Solutions. also, i doubt they would give any information to a second party. last, the domain can be in the same account for long and that does not mean the domain hasn't been hijacked, because the account can be compromised by many ways.

•••
What is the end game here, wait out the statue of limitations?

•••
i don't agree. decision in courts is a side action. discussion in namepros and dissecting the deal is a must to the community.

Yes. In an ideal world, full of rainbow unicorns.

Do you have all papers? No. Have you seen all logs? No. Can you subpoena Netsol, Escrow, phone companies, banks? No. HOW (AND WHAT) ARE YOU GOING TO DISSECT?

This is so easy, just contact the support

LOL. Have you ever tried to contact NetSol support?

•••
LOL. Have you ever tried to contact NetSol support?
So, all you keep your expensive domains at third party crap registrars?

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back