IT.COM

question Domain vs Trademark (Preparing Myself) - Seeking Advice ...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi Name Pros,

I have a domain name that was registered in 2012 and I filed for a Trademark for it in 2014 but it was “too generic” ...

By 2016 two major brands have developed and trademarked similiar phrases / monikers as their Brand Name or Product Line and they have filed trademarks for them; these trademarks were registered. Now here’s my question ...

Can they come after my (parked) domain? If so, how can I prevent them from being granted my asset?

From what I understood I am in the clear as long as I never conduct business or develop it in a way that promotes goods or services similar to what they do (although the domain is literally category based). If true, would developing it into a completely different service although the domain is an [exact match| prevent them from being able to give me any problems? E.g. lets say its TShirts*com but I have it so its Free Credit Reports etc.

Ideally I do not want to destroy a solid domain by being irrelevant but at least I can still own it plus rake in traffic their traffic.

If I am in the clear simply because I had it first, what is recommended? Any assistance thrown my way would be appreciated.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It should be on a landing page with no ads that says something like contact us for business inquiries. No ads. No direct mention of for sale unless it’s may be for sale.You are ok if you do that since you registered it first.

•••
No you are save because you ara prior buyer of those phrases and you can also file a case for it that they have copied your domain phrase on behalf of your domain reg date and year

•••
•••
I filed for a Trademark for it in 2014 but it was “too generic”

Then make sure that your parking links continue to relate to the purpose for which the term is generic.

•••
Cool, thanks a bunch for the feedback(s)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back