Dynadot

Domain Valuation - For beginners - (My View)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ravidesai

Established Member
Impact
Hello Members,
I want to share some facts and experience which I gained from the last 2-3 years regarding domaining. As everyone is here to sell and buy domains and make some good profit out of it, it is very very important to understand your domain valuation, the real use of that domain, and yes most importantly to find an end-user for that domain name.

Most domainers doing mistakes by expecting a huge price for their domain name and thinking that he/she has the billion-dollar domain name which they registered. but never thinking about why this domain name is still available for them. Yes, it is available as the domain name is not related to any genuine business or topic in which people are more interested.

I have personally seen some of the domain names which have 2 or 3 keywords that are totally different from reality. There is no combination or relation between the first keyword and the second one. But, still, they think that they have diamonds in their hand, and are unable to sell them at low prices. Sometimes they (beginners) denied $xx offers and then after they do not get the real or end-user and finally those domains will get expired without selling.

Lastly, they lose money by registering domains and not renewing old ones as they don't get any offers for them. They are doing the same mistakes and exit from domaining at a point.

Conclusion: Understanding the value of your domain is most important. Either hold domains for 5-10 years and wait for an end user who only can give you your dream price or another way is to buy and sell domains at a low margin and be happy with small profits and continue as a domainer for the long term.

Kindly share your views. Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello Members,
I want to share some facts and experience which I gained from the last 2-3 years regarding domaining. As everyone is here to sell and buy domains and make some good profit out of it, it is very very important to understand your domain valuation, the real use of that domain, and yes most importantly to find an end-user for that domain name.

Most domainers doing mistakes by expecting a huge price for their domain name and thinking that he/she has the billion-dollar domain name which they registered. but never thinking about why this domain name is still available for them. Yes, it is available as the domain name is not related to any genuine business or topic in which people are more interested.

I have personally seen some of the domain names which have 2 or 3 keywords that are totally different from reality. There is no combination or relation between the first keyword and the second one. But, still, they think that they have diamonds in their hand, and are unable to sell them at low prices. Sometimes they (beginners) denied $xx offers and then after they do not get the real or end-user and finally those domains will get expired without selling.

Lastly, they lose money by registering domains and not renewing old ones as they don't get any offers for them. They are doing the same mistakes and exit from domaining at a point.

Conclusion: Understanding the value of your domain is most important. Either hold domains for 5-10 years and wait for an end user who only can give you your dream price or another way is to buy and sell domains at a low margin and be happy with small profits and continue as a domainer for the long term.

Appreciate the input.
As a beginner myself, it's tricky to value your domains (due to inexperience) and knowing how much to expect.
I look a lot at godaddy auctions to get a gage at the prices and it's pretty encouraging to see the prices some of these domains sell for.

I recently bought 2 domains bodypump.net and philadining.com (used to be a blog for dinner places in Philadelphia) and listed them on auction on afternic, sedo and godaddy for $100 each buy now option.
I listed them 2 weeks ago and wondering if i should modify the prices or just have more patience because i feel $100 is fair considering some of the profit goes to commission.

•••
Appreciate the input.
As a beginner myself, it's tricky to value your domains (due to inexperience) and knowing how much to expect.
I look a lot at godaddy auctions to get a gage at the prices and it's pretty encouraging to see the prices some of these domains sell for.

I recently bought 2 domains bodypump.net and philadining.com (used to be a blog for dinner places in Philadelphia) and listed them on auction on afternic, sedo and godaddy for $100 each buy now option.
I listed them 2 weeks ago and wondering if i should modify the prices or just have more patience because i feel $100 is fair considering some of the profit goes to commission.
Perfect, our expectations are always high, I want to earn millions by selling a single domain, but who is going to pay? So, it's very much important to understand my domain valuation and sell them at a reasonable valuation in the reseller market.

•••
I totally agree with you. As you said, some people who are hyped about the whole domain flipping idea just don't learn anything, they think that as long there are some keywords in the domain it's valuable even if doesn't mean anything so they buy it and expect that they got the golden egg. For me, I just get domains that make sense and could be something in the future.

•••
I totally agree with you. As you said, some people who are hyped about the whole domain flipping idea just don't learn anything, they think that as long there are some keywords in the domain it's valuable even if doesn't mean anything so they buy it and expect that they got the golden egg. For me, I just get domains that make sense and could be something in the future.

How long have you been domaining and how is it going?

•••
I am applying both methods. Some domains I am going to flip at lower prices to manage the expenses and some (the higher appraised ones) I am going to keep for years for higher offers.

•••
•••
I am applying both methods. Some domains I am going to flip at lower prices to manage the expenses and some (the higher appraised ones) I am going to keep for years for higher offers.
This first thing always matters as you are able to manage expenses which keeps you around this business.

•••
It really depends on the quality of the names. Some enter the biz with good capital and buy top tier in demand names.

For people doing primarily hand reg— you have to take what you can get or hold long time. Most hand regs not worth a long hold.

•••
•••
I love it when my fellow domainers create history for keywords.
namebio
dnsal.es
There is also cpc cost per click vs keyword searches not the results.
The merit of short names or exact search. The memorability of a brand and market.
Aging backlinks whether or not they bought a domain a project with assets.
Nice post.

•••
More than valuation beginners should focus on investing in good domain names

valuation is the price ; good domain is the product

Investing in good domain will make domaining profitable

•••
Hello Members,

Great experience,

A few months ago, I have purchased 2 domains because they have good GD appraisals for 1,100$ and 1,400$ respectively. I thought I got 2 gems just by looking at their price in GD appraisals, this is what mistake I have done. I purchased domains without market research.

Thankyou.

•••
It really depends on the quality of the names.
This 👆

As this is in the beginners section......Understanding what makes a good domain is more important when you are first starting out than getting bogged down with valuations......

If you undersell a few then so what, you have proof of concept, money in the bank to expand your portfolio and can pay those reg fees......

Also knowing what a good domain is helps with holding for the long term.....and dropping the crap and not wasting money.....

Last edited:
•••
Back