Dynadot

advice Domain Tax Strategies

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

cocaseco

Top Member
Impact
As we start the last month of the year, I am starting to take a close look at my domain business in regards to taxes. As I do that I am wondering what other do in this regard? Do you have any unusual tax savings ideas or creative accounting strategies to share? I operate as a Sole Proprietor, which has generally worked well for me, though i am considering a change next year. But this year, as with the last 5 or 6, I will again have a tax liability. I don't mind paying my fair share, but i do like to make sure it isn't more than my fair share. Like any true American, I want to find ways to reduce that burden in any legal way I can.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I batch my domain renewal charges to shift expenses from one year to/from another.

•••
I operate as a Sole Proprietor, which has generally worked well for me, though i am considering a change next year.

What are you planning to change to?

•••
Thanks for great topic.

Big question is are domains an inventory of goods where you deduct the cost of acquisition only when the specific domain is sold or should it be treated more like a property investment with some kind of depreciation taken out annually?

•••
What are you planning to change to?
Probably LLC But possible S Corp. The problem is I don't see a lot of liability in this business, so that's probably the driving force in why I haven't changed yet, and may not. Most other businesses, it is an easy decision as there is a lot more liability.

•••
Thanks for great topic.

Big question is are domains an inventory of goods where you deduct the cost of acquisition only when the specific domain is sold or should it be treated more like a property investment with some kind of depreciation taken out annually?
That's a great question. I guess I don't see the inventory as a CAPX so there isn't really any depreciation to be concerned with. I see my portfolio as simply widgets in my warehouse, purchased at wholesale and ready to sell at retail. But I'm not sure that is really the right view.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back