Dynadot

Domain Stolen - PayPal Chargeback

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

bro

Registered DomainerTop Member
Impact
xxxxxxxxx.com

It was sold at ebay for $787, listing type: buy it now.

Ebay userid: 948753963
Buyer Name: *******
Buyer Email: ********
Transaction Amount: $787,00 USD
Transaction Date: 4 Nov 2015
Reason for Dispute: Unauthorized payment
Chargeback Reason Code: 83

Chargeback Amount: $787,00 USD
Chargeback Date: 18 Nov 2015

Domain is registered with Godaddy.com

Here is Whois details...

Registrant Name: Mike Bands
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: 2309 s cypress bend dr apt 312
Registrant City: cypress bend
Registrant State/Province: FL
Registrant Postal Code: 33069
Registrant Country: United States
Registrant Phone: +1.3344226279
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: +1.3344226279
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: [email protected]

Domain is still at godaddy.

I have no idea how to proceed with this, could someone please guide me on this.

Thanks,
bro

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 12.52.34.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 12.52.34.png
    156.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Next time be careful while selling on eBay. You can put a disclaimer on listing page that you have right to cancel the sell without citing any reason or buyers need to have some minimum no of feedback in order to be eligible to bid/buy domains.
All the best!

•••
That's a good idea, will do it next time. I actually had some ebay buyer requirement settings added, but as he played it smart by buying $1 game keys and other stuff, to have a positive feedback in last 6 months. He tricked the ebay system, and was able to purchase domain.

From now on, Escrow services more often.

•••
Definitely give contacting ICANN a go, they are quite understanding when it comes to domain theft.

•••
Paypal and Godaddy are Tards. It happened to me once when I was a newbie and both parties didn't want to help me in anyway.

•••
Oh, what's a terrible thing!
How can paypal chargeback as a payment of ebay. Know such thing for my first time...

•••
I never use Paypal. Escrow service or no deal. I was used paypal like Stormpay( when they were good) the the very next day, I lost the website design I made ànd the money. The worst part was that the buyer told me that they used their grandmother's credit card and now he cannot pay because no card. Can you believe that?

That was 2004. From that time on, I dont use such services. Just last week someone wantes to buy 30 domains from me and kept refusing any escrow service(nomally, I use free Flippa escrow ). I told him to get LOST for good.

He did.what I told him to do lol. The 180/or 120 days thing which paypal gives someone to file a dispute is a big red flag for me when dealing with domains.

I am happy that you got your domain.back :)

Last edited:
•••
Paypal is not the place to sell digital properties because they aren't protected by eBay's seller guarantee.

Only physical goods are covered.

Better to use one of the established domain auction platforms or Escrow.com.

•••
paypal pretending like careless parents...says i dont care its just your problem !

•••
Woah man, really sorry to hear about this.

Please keep us updated on how everything goes.

I always assumed that it would be fairly safe selling your domain via Paypal. I would basically send the buyer a Paypal invoice with details of the transaction and domain name/s. Mention on the invoice that the whois information of the domain is public. Once the payment is done then I would push the domain to the buyers domain account. My understanding is that it's safe for him because if I don't complete the transfer then he could always notify Paypal and show them the the whois information hasn't been change on the domain. Then if he tries to do a charge back you could point out to Paypal that you have transfered the domain and show them your confirmation emails from ur domain account and also show them the whois information has been changed.

Or am I missing something here?

•••
That's why i hate using paypal for any payments above $200, if buyer scams you, paypal will never act to protect you since it was a digital purchase. I got scammed twice like this :( it's a heaven for scammers!

•••
After several email exchanges, got my domain back. and it turns out the individual from eddyyalan.com was responsible for all this, and it's the fear of ruining his reputation he has returned back the domain.

So the guy on the website, the one that stands there and says he's one of the "top Florida real estate agents", is the one that did this?! If so, I sure hope that the agency he works for knows what sort of ethics he brings to their team...

•••
So the guy on the website, the one that stands there and says he's one of the "top Florida real estate agents", is the one that did this?! If so, I sure hope that the agency he works for knows what sort of ethics he brings to their team...

He works for KW (kw.com) and here is what he said...

Wow, so many messages. The reason why it was "chargeback" is that i have a lot of credit cards which most of them are for my business , so when i bought the domain with my cc that i didn't know was my business card (I can only use it to buy a real estate), so KW declined the charge.

•••
Use a credit card to buy real estate? What a load of crap!

•••

I always assumed that it would be fairly safe selling your domain via Paypal. I would basically send the buyer a Paypal invoice with details of the transaction and domain name/s. Mention on the invoice that the whois information of the domain is public. Once the payment is done then I would push the domain to the buyers domain account. My understanding is that it's safe for him because if I don't complete the transfer then he could always notify Paypal and show them the the whois information hasn't been change on the domain. Then if he tries to do a charge back you could point out to Paypal that you have transfered the domain and show them your confirmation emails from ur domain account and also show them the whois information has been changed.

Whois info can be spoofed; a buyer could accept the transfer and then change Whois back to the seller, but with a different admin address.

This is why intangible goods are not protected at Paypal.

•••
pretty sure someones wrote it already but I thought if you contact godaddy within 15 days they have a no question ask guarantee or something for giving the domain back to you. Facts might be wrong here but along those lines..

•••
pretty sure someones wrote it already but I thought if you contact godaddy within 15 days they have a no question ask guarantee or something for giving the domain back to you. Facts might be wrong here but along those lines..

They didn't even reply to support ticket, totally ignored. People here keep mentioning about contacting Joe, but the truth is Joe doesn't care at all, and never helps. I was locked out of my Godaddy account because of not receiving sms and unable to login, Joe didn't even bother replying to few messages i sent, until i informed him about everything works fine after 4-5 days, then he said oh! I shouldn't switch 2FA off. In this case, he just copied & pasted standard reply about being unable to help.

•••
Sorry to hear that bro...
To minimize the risk if you are selling domain on ebay, always put buyer requirement hopefully you can filter the buyer that already have a negative feedback or low positive feedback. Just a opinion from a newbie here...:)

•••
I am going through a x,xxx chargeback nearly 8 weeks after payment via paypal.
I wasn't expecting it so I was majorly screwed up by it.
Tried to reach out to @joestler at Godaddy, but no reply.
The scammer did a 83 code, unauthorized charge.
He has a ton of social media accounts and he has admitted via email that yes he did authorize the charge but decided the domain wasn't worth anything. He said because it isn't worth anything in his opinion, so it's not chargeback fraud.
Argh.
He keeps saying he will return it, but is obviously playing games.
This guy seems really scary on his social media accounts, so I am bit afraid of this nut.

Advice appreciated.

•••
I am going through a x,xxx chargeback nearly 8 weeks after payment via paypal.
I wasn't expecting it so I was majorly screwed up by it.
Tried to reach out to @joestler at Godaddy, but no reply.
The scammer did a 83 code, unauthorized charge.
He has a ton of social media accounts and he has admitted via email that yes he did authorize the charge but decided the domain wasn't worth anything. He said because it isn't worth anything in his opinion, so it's not chargeback fraud.
That does sound really bad. I'm hoping you'll get a reply from Joe Styler and that he can provide you some assistance.

Was the domain purchased through GoDaddy?

•••

I have an account on 2CheckOut and for anything above $200 i'm sending the buyer 2CO invoice. The buyer then pays with Paypal as usual, but via 2CO payment gate. So for the buyer, technically it's the same Paypal payment. But if he tries to chargeback later, he could suck his cock, because 2CO plays on the seller's side and it's nearly impossible to win a chargeback against them on a legit deal. Yes i'm paying high fees to 2CO but that's a satisfying price for security.

•••
Hi there, no it wasn't purchased via GoDaddy.
@Joestyler got back to me today and gave me helpful advice.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back