IT.COM

status-review Domain sold on NamePros but buyer asked a refund after push

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I sold a LLL.net on Namepros days ago on this forum. The buyer did not appear until 10 days after he won the aution.
He/she paid via paypal and I pushed the domain to the account he/she provided in Namecheap.

Paypal sent me an email a few days later:

You have received a case
What's happening with this case?
Your buyer has filed a chargeback with their card issuer for the following reason:
The buyer stated that they did not make this purchase.

Until this case is closed, we have put a temporary hold on the transaction amount.
I printed the email Namecheap sent to me after the successful push and also the DM between me and the buyer, then sent them to Paypal.

Paypal did not buy me evidence and said:

Case update

One of your buyers opened a case for this transaction. This means the buyer has asked their financial institution to reverse the money for this transaction.

We're disputing this case with your buyer's card issuer. We'll email you again if we need more information from you to help us with this case.

$XXX USD has been debited from your PayPal account because of the following reason(s):

*****(Salmon's remark: Case ID, transaction ID, names, etc.)
  • We recieved invalid proof of fulfillment for intangible item.

We have charged you a Dispute Fee of $8.00 USD, since your account was categorized into Standard Dispute Fee tier when this dispute was filed.

For more details about the Dispute Fee, please see our User Agreement.

Dear Friends, Please give me some advice.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
What member? Tag them so they can respond.

•••
•••
Did you get the domain back? 2 scenarios here -

1. @Compassion NP account was hacked and the thief took you for a ride.

2. @Compassion had buyers remorse, in which case they should send the domain back and the mods should ban them from this forum.

@Echo Mod Team

Last edited:
•••
Why do people still use PayPal. Any sale proceeds are really only a six month loan, as PayPal can take the money back if it needs to boost its profits.

•••
Hi @Salmon, thanks for sharing! Did you get in touch with @Compassion ? Any feedback from them?

•••
•••
•••
Really odd - they have a 100% positive trade score with loads of transactions completed, been on here since 2006 and have the Pro badge.....so on the surface all their credentials stack up....

I can't see someone like like risking their reputation and any future trades for the sake of a few hundred dollars

As @Keith mentioned could be a hacked account, which the mods can look into.......otherwise they get banned

Unfortunately, that does not help you with PayPal......

•••
This matter is being mediated by a moderator team and the buyer has not logged in since they received notice of the charge-back to comment on it or look more into it.

The buyer has been given 48 hours to respond.

It's quite possible it was an accident and they potentially meant to charge back a different transaction, where a seller failed to deliver a domain.

At this time, It appears that the majority of logging into NamePros from the buyers account has been consistent prior to and after the deal was made. Going back up to 1 year showed the same consistency.

It's our hopes that the buyer logs in soon to help clear this matter up.

For internal use ONLY: https://www.namepros.com/reports/119474/

•••
Update: This is unfortunate, the buyer has still not logged in since the reported charge-back.

Their account has been restricted for security reasons for monitoring until they are able to login and address this matter.

Additionally, we have escalated this matter to our potential fraud department for further investigation (E.g. Potential unauthorized account access)

It's our hopes that the buyer will login sooner than later to help get this matter resolved.

•••
Hi @Echo Mod Team

Did you send an email to the buyer as well, to ask them for clarification?

•••
Hi @Echo Mod Team

Did you send an email to the buyer as well, to ask them for clarification?

Their account automatically receives an email notification when a new post is made in their conversation. Whether they receive the automated notice or an individual notice, it goes to the same email address.

•••
Why do people still use PayPal. Any sale proceeds are really only a six month loan, as PayPal can take the money back if it needs to boost its profits.
You just gave the term “PayPal Mafia” new meaning, lol.

Last edited:
•••
wow I wouldn't expect this from compassion A few years ago I done a few transactions with him never had a problem

•••
  • We recieved invalid proof of fulfillment for intangible item.
Namepros‘ evidence “invalid” This is an insult to NP, too.

We have charged you a Dispute Fee of $8.00 USD, since your account was categorized into Standard Dispute Fee tier when this dispute was filed.

Biggest surprise, $8 charge for rejection. Now, seen it all.

Last edited:
•••
Very unfortunete. I usually only accept paypal on the forums from very established accounts where I kinds of at least know who they are in the domain space or have some other methods of contact.

•••
Can't Namepros make the email address of Compassion available to Salmon so that he
can contact Compassion directly, or google the email address to find out who Compassion
really is, so that he can take further actions against Compassion?

Last edited:
•••
Another reason to use escrow even for tiny transactions... even if that means giving 4.5% or 5% to a third party. I think that 4 to 5% in commission for imported lead is worth your protection.

•••
Did you try contacting NameCheap? If the buyer paid for the domain with stolen funds, hopefully they'll do something.

Another option, especially if they're in the USA, would be to file a complaint at ic3.gov. Years ago, I had an issue on eBay. I contacted the buyer's local police department. They told me to file a complaint with ic3.gov and send them the case. They went and talked to him, and he mailed me a check within a week. It was a small town, so they probably had more time.

•••
Hi everyone, just getting back to NP after a long hiatus. Did not know that any of this had happened and will be resolving this today and sending extra funds to Salmon for the troubles that this caused.

•••
Funds received including extra. I was not expecting the extra but will keep it, since I did spend some extra efforts for this issue. I have had a shouting match with Paypal and even reported this issue to cybercrime department of FBI.

I’m glad we were able to resolve this.

And thank every one in this thread for supporting me by giving me suggestions.

•••
Good to see the stories with happy endings
The Simpsons Christmas GIF by AniDom

•••
I am still confused, why was the PayPal dispute raised in the first place?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back