NameSilo

Domain sold on Afternic but its on 60 day lock

Labeled as advice in Domain Buying and Selling Discussion, started by ShawnTeo, Aug 7, 2020

Replies:
43
Views:
2,861

  1. ShawnTeo

    ShawnTeo Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

    Posts:
    228
    Likes Received:
    417
    Hey all, today I was greeted by an amazing surprise in the morning when i woke up. My first pending Afternic sale! I received an email that Afternic had verified the payment amount. The final step is to provide Afternic with the auth code for domain transfer. However, it happens that this domain is still on it's 60 day cooldown.

    My question is, what can I do in this case to retain this sale and still have it work in this case?
     
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. jim h

    jim h Upgraded Member Gold Account

    Posts:
    2,069
    Likes Received:
    677
    According to the rules, you are likely to be considered a default, you should try to contact afternic's agent to discuss the issue. They have a contact number on their website.
     
  3. ShawnTeo

    ShawnTeo Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

    Posts:
    228
    Likes Received:
    417
    Yes, I will definitely have to talk to the agent about this, just how best to do it and retain the sale.

    As for your first part, what do you mean about the "rules" and being a "default"?
     
  4. ShawnTeo

    ShawnTeo Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

    Posts:
    228
    Likes Received:
    417
    any ideas?

    I've explained the situation to the AN transaction assurance team (y)
     
  5. D Haynes

    D Haynes Top Contributor VIP

    Posts:
    1,365
    Likes Received:
    2,620
    Contact your registrar. You should be able to get the lock lifted.
     
  6. ShawnTeo

    ShawnTeo Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

    Posts:
    228
    Likes Received:
    417
    It's 60 day lock since registration is not over, I've researched that newly registered domains that haven't crossed 60 days are required by ICANN to be locked for that long. I know that some registrars allow lifting of registrar-imposed locks if the domain is older than 60 days.
     
  7. NickB

    NickB Wales.org VIP

    Posts:
    3,684
    Likes Received:
    7,571
    Can't you just push the domain to an Afternic account where the domain is held? Then they can push to the client

    Should be simple enough to do...unless I'm missing something....

    Edit....

    or do they tell the client they to wait for the lock to run its course before taking ownership? Think I have seen that written on here before?
     
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  8. NamePrime

    NamePrime The Godfather VIP

    Posts:
    4,116
    Likes Received:
    1,744
    Just tell them that you can't transfer the domain because of 60-day lock. Then ask them for their account in your registrar so you can push.
     
  9. equity78

    equity78 Top Member TheDomains Staff TLDInvestors.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

    Posts:
    15,485
    Likes Received:
    19,542
    I just had this happen, I can give you the full scoop because I was getting ready to do a post.

    I registered a domain name, it sold 6 days later. The buyer contacted on DAN first, $500 offer but while I was looking at that and starting to research buyer.

    Email sold at Afternic, actually GoDaddy registration path.

    They tell me to unlock he wants to transfer it's at NameSilo, he wants GoDaddy.

    I tell them it new, they say we will ask him if he will accept a push, if not we will contact you in 55 days.

    I said I am not waiting forever, 5 days later they are like buyer did not reply.

    I am thinking you should accept push, wait and then fulfill your other customer in this transaction.

    I said let me clear not waiting 55 days, the rep cancelled the transaction, refunded buyer. told me my account was suspended. I said you just committed fraud saying you cancelled and reason could not verify the owner.

    Contacted Paul Nicks, he had the suspension removed immediately. Said they should have done better.

    I go back to DAN figuring it was the same buyer, he said I purchased yes it's in transit, he had no idea. I explained to him NameSilo free account, free push. A month later he says sorry for delay getting back got money thank you, and I no longer interested in the name.
     
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  10. equity78

    equity78 Top Member TheDomains Staff TLDInvestors.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

    Posts:
    15,485
    Likes Received:
    19,542
    Afternic will not accept the push, the rep told me if the buyer asks for a transfer we don't accept push. Now DAN does, Sedo does but Afternic does not. It's something @Joe Styler or @Paul Nicks should try to get them to change.
     
  11. equity78

    equity78 Top Member TheDomains Staff TLDInvestors.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

    Posts:
    15,485
    Likes Received:
    19,542
    Yes Nick they told me see you in 60 days, it was technically 55, they would wait to pay me and wait for the buyer to get the transfer done.
     
  12. equity78

    equity78 Top Member TheDomains Staff TLDInvestors.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

    Posts:
    15,485
    Likes Received:
    19,542
    The deal will go through, you just will have to wait.
     
  13. NamePrime

    NamePrime The Godfather VIP

    Posts:
    4,116
    Likes Received:
    1,744
    Ask if the buyer has an account in your registrar or if his willing to create one.

    In my case, they allowed push after I told them that the domain was on transfer lock. Maybe my buyer agreed to it.
     
  14. ShawnTeo

    ShawnTeo Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

    Posts:
    228
    Likes Received:
    417
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope this will be the case for me!
     
  15. davidc1

    davidc1 Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

    Posts:
    619
    Likes Received:
    493
    I have this problem nearly everyday.

    Give them the auth code and send them a message : locked until...
    They will tell that to the buyer and give him the possibility to push the domain on the current registrar account, it's rare that the customer choose this option...
     
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  16. D Haynes

    D Haynes Top Contributor VIP

    Posts:
    1,365
    Likes Received:
    2,620
    It was my impression that even the ICANN 60 lock is opt-outable (not a word). Maybe I'm mistaken though.
     
  17. frank-germany

    frank-germany domainer since 2001 / musician VIP

    Posts:
    8,693
    Likes Received:
    12,757
    as far as I know its not negotiable
     
  18. NickB

    NickB Wales.org VIP

    Posts:
    3,684
    Likes Received:
    7,571
    Odd, I transferred a few names to Dynadot recently and relisted the names on Afternic. I then got an email from Dynadot asking me to log in and set Afternic Fast Transfer even though there are under the 60 day lock, I have opted these names in.

    Now if one of these domains gets sold is it eligible for fast transfer?

    Looks to me that Dynadot remove the lock or is this not the case?
     
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  19. NickB

    NickB Wales.org VIP

    Posts:
    3,684
    Likes Received:
    7,571
    Dynadot email....

    "Please note that by clicking on this link, you are pre-authorizing the sale and transfer of this domain name to the buyer should the buyer agree to pay your buy now price without further authorization from you. You also agree to opt out of the 60 day ownership change lock which would usually be applied after a sale has been completed."
     
  20. tonyk2000

    tonyk2000 Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

    Posts:
    2,097
    Likes Received:
    3,422
    Com/net domain transferred: 60 days lock can be removed by registrar. They have no obligation to, but this can be done.

    Com/net domain just registered: 60 days lock is set on registrty level. It is not removeable.

    Org domains: 60 days lock applied by the registry to both new regs and transfers.

    Other extensions: needs to be checked 1 by 1

    Dynadot might allow setting Afternic fast transfer of recently transferred com/net domains (which is good news if it is really the case). However, should Afternic ask to provide authcode or to push a domain to their dynadot account instead (not all afternic sales partners do support fast transfers), then it may not be possible to fullfill in this case (without contacting dynadot at least), as the 60 days lock by itself did not disappear...

    Listing domains on Afternic implies that the seller would be able to deliver the domain. With or without fast transfer set, the seller still should always be able to perform pushes as well as unlocking domains or providing authcode if requested. So, I'd avoid listing fresh registrations on Afternic within the 1st 60 days... As for fresh transfer-ins, it depends on the registrar.
     
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  21. frank-germany

    frank-germany domainer since 2001 / musician VIP

    Posts:
    8,693
    Likes Received:
    12,757
    as far as I understand
    the 60 day lock can be opt-out
    when a domain had been transferred recently

    but not for a fresh reg
     
  22. premkumar

    premkumar Top Contributor VIP

    Posts:
    839
    Likes Received:
    597
    I don't know, what is the procedure in afternic now, Previously I did pushed the domain(in 60 day lock) to afternic escrow account.
     
  23. krishmk

    krishmk Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

    Posts:
    1,069
    Likes Received:
    252
    I am sure Joe Styler once stated in NP that Sellers can list domains within the 60 day lock period.
    Suspending Account for this very reason doesnt make any sense. If Afternic doesnt want to allow newly registered domains - they could put a note for Sellers or deny new domain submissions altogether.

    I believe Domain can be pushed internally within the current Registrar if the Buyer agrees to it.
    If the Buyer doesnt agree - then the options are to cancel the Sale or wait until the lock is removed.
    As the other member stated the best option would be to generate Auth Code (if the Registrar allows before 60 day period), send it to the Afternic Transaction Assurance Team and inform about the 60 day lock period or the option to internal push.

    Agreed not all Afternic partners would accept pushes but domain is sold through them only when Fast Transfer is enabled after the 60 day lock period.
     
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  24. The Durfer

    The Durfer Top Contributor VIP Blue Account

    Posts:
    7,735
    Likes Received:
    10,380
    just tell them all you can do is wait for the 60 days to be over or you can push to same registrar. That is all you can do. ty. :)
     
  25. ShawnTeo

    ShawnTeo Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

    Posts:
    228
    Likes Received:
    417
    Yes all of the things said here are right from what I have read from the forums and research.
    Newly hand-regged domains have a 60 day lock that cannot be removed.
    Domains that were freshly transferred but are more than 60 days from the date of fresh registration can have the lock period removed by some registrars.

    Correct me if I am wrong on what I've said above.

    I have explained the situation to the sales team, let's see what they can do. Really hope for this sale to push through!
     

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
Loading...