Dynadot

Domain Sherpa VS Domain King. About to Fight?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TRY

StrongPunch.comTop Member
Impact
In a nutshell Domain Sherpa (Michael Cyger) removed all the video interviews of Rick schwartz (domain king) and Michael berkens (Thedomain) from the site.
Rick and Mike are very upset and want answers, but domain Sherpa hasn't responded to them except for a tweet in the middle of Rick's Twitter post leaving a strange comment and an advertisement, crazy.

I feel bad for Rick and Mike since they spent years donating their time, experience, and knowledge to the show.

Rick says he is getting Angry!

Anyways it's all on Rick's Twitter.

Why do you think the videos were removed?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think everyone just needs to listen to this calming, soothing, relaxing ASMR video:

•••
Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting! :)

•••
•••
•••
Reputation is everything in business. On both sides a phone call would have been appropriate. It shouldn't be that hard (y)

I like and value what Mike @DomainSherpa has contributed with his business. I also respect Rick @Rick Schwartz & Mike Birkens as they gave Mike the time each week for an hour or more for years & Domain Sherpa wouldn't be where it is today without them.

I do hope this is resolves as domainers try encourage and work together regardless if successful or not? :xf.smile:

•••
I offered to mediate - Rick is pissed. I don't see this ever ending

•••
If only any of you could afford Rick's domain Middleman.com for $1,750,000 and set up services for resolving differences between domain investors, none of this would have happened!

So the blame goes on all of us, as a community! ))

•••
smh.

Sad.

Whatever happened to don't air your dirty linen in public?

Mike is one of the kindest, most giving people in this industry, which is exactly why he didn't respond, because he has the self-control not to respond to bullying (most people don't).

You can have all the money in the world, if you lack a decent character, then forget about it.

Money doesn't make anyone a king or a god. Maybe for y'all, but I like to look at the bigger picture. There is one King and one God in my world.

P.S. If you think someone is ignoring you, what's the grown up thing to do? Call, send them an email, ask them, "Hey, why are you ignoring me. Can I have an answer from you?" Since when is lambasting a person all over Twitter the grown up thing to do though?

Last edited:
•••
Just wondering, before going out and blasting stuff in public after merely a few days... has anyone bothered to pick up the phone and call each other? =)

I know domainers are averse to that silly contraption as a voice communications device and just use it to check their godaddy account for domains...... but still. lol. On the bottom left of the iphone is the green "Phone" icon.

Click that.... punch in the 9 digit "secret pin".... also found on the websites usually, an hit the green button on the bottom.

With the magic powers, after a few seconds, hopefully someone picks up and says "hello" on the other side.=)

•••
Just wondering, before going out and blasting stuff in public after merely a few days... has anyone bothered to pick up the phone and call each other? =)

I know domainers are averse to that silly contraption as a voice communications device and just use it to check their godaddy account for domains...... but still. lol. On the bottom left of the iphone is the green "Phone" icon.

Click that.... punch in the 9 digit "secret pin".... also found on the websites usually, an hit the green button on the bottom.

With the magic powers, after a few seconds, hopefully someone picks up and says "hello" on the other side.=)
9 digits? Since when has it not been 11 digits?

•••
•••
It's about respect.

If Cyger couldn't respond to Rick because of legal reasons that's understandable.

If it was strictly business or personal then Rick and berkens have every right to be pissed off.

Ever do favors for someone and when they don't need you they don't acknowledge you or what you've done for them?

Imo We can't judge Cyger till we know why, but the truth eventually comes out, patience is the key.

Last edited:
•••
•••
It's about respect.

If Cyger couldn't respond to Rick because of legal reasons that's understandable.

If it was strictly business or personal then Rick and berkens have every right to be pissed off.

Ever do favors for someone and when they don't need you they don't acknowledge you or what you've done for them?

Imo We can't judge Cyger till we know why, but the truth eventually comes out, patience is the key.

Agree 100%, even still there would be nothing wrong with saying..... "My attorney has advised me to not discuss this matter with you, speak with them."

Nothing ever good comes from just not talking to someone over a matter, and even worse by dirtying the laundry in public in such a manner, especially for such influential people in the industry.

•••
was gonna comment on the thread we started but its been closed. Domainsignals reached out to Rick for a comment and he does a great summary there

•••
was gonna comment on the thread we started but its been closed. Domainsignals reached out to Rick for a comment and he does a great summary there

The other thread that was started in the "News" forum (some time after this one was started) was actually merged into this one (or at least my post was) .. makes a few of the comments a bit out of context .. but at least it's all in the same place .. feels like I made the same post twice yesterday almost now!

Last edited:
•••
Cyger doesn't even return an email if you are not a paying customer apparently. Sent him three with questions and ZERO replies.

That really isn't a fair way to judge someone's character .. Cyger has actually been extremely busy the last couple of months organizing his DNSeattle event .. of which the entirety of funds raised goes to Cancer research. He also has real world obligations like work and family.

I've got a lot on my plate as well and sometimes I just am not able to reply to all my messages .. then as time goes by it's easy to forget .. or to assume whatever it was is no longer in need of attention.

None of these content creators (from Sherpa to the various blogs) owe us anything .. if anything we should be extremely thankful for everything they've shared to date.

That being said .. I am not a "client" of Michael Cyger .. yet he certainly has replied to me in the past.

But it's important to remember that these sorts of relationships are 2 way streets .. so while he certainly has helped me in the past .. I have also on occasion just randomly sent him a message if I saw an expiring domain going on auction that I'd think he'd be interested in acquiring .. or even one I simply thought he would find funny. I also have made it a point to thank him and the sherpas on the review pages as well as contribute my own opinions, comments and feedback.

That's actually one thing all the sherpas have actually repeated several times on the various shows .. that personal relationships are actually an important part of moving forward in this (or almost any) industry. I'm quite new here myself .. but I've made it a point to be as helpful and objective as I can when I have the time to help others. It's mostly quite simply to be nice .. but it's also good to know that if ever I'm stuck with something or need help with something, that those who I've helped will also likely be there to have my back if needed! :)

Please do not take this as a personal attack .. I have no idea if you've done those sort of things or not .. I'm just talking in general because I see a lot of bashing of all content creators all over the place .. but at the end of the day .. it's often simply a matter of time .. they just simply can't help everyone with everything.

At the end of the day Michael Cyger has actually answered hundreds if not thousands of questions for all domainers to benefit from through his free shows.

I'd also like to mirror what @ikehook has said in that I'm am grateful to all past and present sherpas (including @Domain Shane, @MediaOptions, @ikehook, @Ali, A-d-a-m @strong, @michaeljkrell @Giuseppe Graziano, @Doron Vermaat, @Frank.Schilling, @Travis M, Aaron Wilken, Monte Cahn (@mcahn), James Booth (@BoothDomains), Dave Evanson (@Sedo), Richard Lau (@locosman), Ammar Kubba, Larry Fischer (@changejobs), Matt Overman, @Domainzy, @Joe Uddeme, Sam Dennis and particularly @Rick Schwartz, Michael Berkins (@TheDomains) and Page Howe (@sitehq) for not just helping Michael Cyger lay the foundation to the @DomainSherpa reviews all years ago, but also for being there as industry leaders sharing your opinions for decades before most here ever bought thier first domain), other content creators (@DomainNameWire) and bloggers (too many to mention), as well as those who are super helpful in these forums and those who run them, plus all the other big and small names who've fought for various issues facing domainers including the simple 20+ years of always being there to counter argue people who say we're all "squatters" or pirates. etc.

•••
As for the specific conflict at hand .. I really would think it's best that from this point forward all those with personal opinions not based on fact who are speculating about everything just stop moving this discussion forward based on heresay and best guesses.

Because I am aware of a bit more, and that both sides feel so strongly that they are not in the wrong, I really suggest that for the sake of the past friendships, that one side should reach out to the other just to try to understand why Cyger thinks the matter was closed and why Schwartz thinks it's still open.

Cyger's View: Just to help lay things to rest, without sharing the specifics (as it isn't my place to do so), I can personally say that Michael Cyger is of the opinion that he did indeed follow up on the original concerns from March and that in his mind the matter was essentially closed a while back as he even got a reply to the follow up in question.

Schartz's View: On the other side I can also see that perhaps from Rick and Michael Berkins side, they were hoping for a little more information, feedback or followup. Or even that they might have hoped a new way could have been found to salvage past episodes.

Realistic View: There was probably a misunderstanding in an email where Michael Cyger meant something that was probably interpreted differently by Rick. I used to run a large international forum (nothing as big as NP though .. lol). And can say for a fact these sorts of misunderstandings due to simple misinterpretations happen all the time with online communication. So much is lost in communication when you don't hear intonation in someone's voice. For example "you're an ass" could be taken seriously and hurt someone, but it can also be taken sarcastically and make someone laugh because they know it was mean jokingly.

How you all decide to proceed are your personal choices and up to you. But you all have done so much for the industry it would be a shame to split it half with everyone taking sides .. particularly if it is all over a misunderstanding/misinterpretation, and not even because anything deliberately malicious (as Dicker allegedly has done to many).

That being said .. @Rick Schwartz .. since you're the one who appears most active here at the moment .. and you did go a little further threatening to take this to Michael's sponsors. Maybe just take the extra step to be sure those threats are truly justified and go back to past emails with Michael Cyger to see if indeed maybe there was something he wrote that wasn't completely clear that could have been understandably misinterpreted on your end. I have personally sent at least a couple of emails over the years where I made a typo or forgot a "not" that accidentally completely changed the meaning of the email .. it might be worth making sure something like this isn't the reason for ending a years long friendship. And then depending on what you find in those emails just call Michael C and either:

a) Explain/apologise that you misinterpreted/forgot what he wrote.
or
b) Ask him how/why he thinks you thought the matter was closed when clearly in your opinion it was not closed.

PS) Also .. might I suggest you stop using Twitter .. the knowledge and information you share is far too important to be limited to 140 characters or less! :)

Last edited:
•••
To everyone else .. I really suggest that from this point forward we stop making accusations or taking sides because none of us were there for the phone call(s) in question, and none of us have actual copies of the emails in question. So it's completely pointless and actually irresponsible to judge either way when we don't have the actual facts/information/data. It really is a personal thing between those involved .. the only comments that are appropriate at this point is to say we hope this gets resolved! :)

•••
That really isn't a fair way to judge someone's character .. Cyger has actually been extremely busy the last couple of months organizing his DNSeattle event .. of which the entirety of funds raised goes to Cancer research. He also has real world obligations like work and family.

I've got a lot on my plate as well and sometimes I just am not able to reply to all my messages .. then as time goes by it's easy to forget .. or to assume whatever it was is no longer in need of attention.

None of these content creators (from Sherpa to the various blogs) owe us anything .. if anything we should be extremely thankful for everything they've shared to date.

That being said .. I am not a "client" of Michael Cyger .. yet he certainly has replied to me in the past.

But it's important to remember that these sorts of relationships are 2 way streets .. so while he certainly has helped me in the past .. I have also on occasion just randomly sent him a message if I saw an expiring domain going on auction that I'd think he'd be interested in acquiring .. or even one I simply thought he would find funny. I also have made it a point to thank him and the sherpas on the review pages as well as contribute my own opinions, comments and feedback.

That's actually one thing all the sherpas have actually repeated several times on the various shows .. that personal relationships are actually an important part of moving forward in this (or almost any) industry. I'm quite new here myself .. but I've made it a point to be as helpful and objective as I can when I have the time to help others. It's mostly quite simply to be nice .. but it's also good to know that if ever I'm stuck with something or need help with something, that those who I've helped will also likely be there to have my back if needed! :)

Please do not take this as a personal attack .. I have no idea if you've done those sort of things or not .. I'm just talking in general because I see a lot of bashing of all content creators all over the place .. but at the end of the day .. it's often simply a matter of time .. they just simply can't help everyone with everything.

At the end of the day Michael Cyger has actually answered hundreds if not thousands of questions for all domainers to benefit from through his free shows.

I'd also like to mirror what @ikehook has said in that I'm am grateful to all past and present sherpas (including @Domain Shane, @MediaOptions, @ikehook, @Ali, A-d-a-m @strong, @michaeljkrell @Giuseppe Graziano, @Doron Vermaat, Frank Schilling, @Travis M, Aaron Wilken, Monte Cahn, James Booth, Dave Evanson, Richard Lau, Ammar Kubba, Larry Fischer Matt Overman, @Domainzy, @Joe Uddeme, Sam Dennis and particularly @Rick Schwartz, Michael Berkins and Page Howe for not just helping Michael Cyger lay the foundation to the @DomainSherpa reviews all years ago, but also for being there as industry leaders sharing your opinions for decades before most here ever bought thier first domain), other content creators (@DomainNameWire) and bloggers (too many to mention), as well as those who are super helpful in these forums and those who run them, plus all the other big and small names who've fought for various issues facing domainers including the simple 20+ years of always being there to counter argue people who say we're all "squatters" or pirates. etc.
Michael Cyger reached out to me and we had a very professional chat.

•••
Was it only Rick and Berkens that were in these videos with Dicker?
Or has any other industry leader lost video time from Domain Sherpa because they were on the same review panel as Dicker?

•••
Something is not right imo.
If someone offers to volunteer for a service and that service was appreciated at that time, why ask for that service after about a year? If it's volunteer than it is supposed not to ask something back.
Lots of articles are written all over the internet and brought down at some point, imagine all the writers bullying for this.
It's like acting childish.
Cyger had a reason to remove the videos (even if it a stupid reason for you) you have to respect it as long as you are claiming that you volunteer. It is up to you to continue doing videos in the future, but stop bully online Rick.

•••
In a nutshell Domain Sherpa (Michael Cyger) removed all the video interviews of Rick schwartz (domain king) and Michael berkens (Thedomain) from the site.
Rick and Mike are very upset and want answers, but domain Sherpa hasn't responded to them except for a tweet in the middle of Rick's Twitter post leaving a strange comment and an advertisement, crazy.

I feel bad for Rick and Mike since they spent years donating their time, experience, and knowledge to the show.

Rick says he is getting Angry!

Anyways it's all on Rick's Twitter.

Why do you think the videos were removed?

The only winners in any legal dispute are the lawyers

Always better to communicate between the yourselves than pay through the nose to have a dispute legally resolved

Its a shame that big names in the domaini space have had to resort to such action

•••
y
Was it only Rick and Berkens that were in these videos with Dicker?
Or has any other industry leader lost video time from Domain Sherpa because they were on the same review panel as Dicker?
yes a very good guy Page Howe who sometimes pops up on this forum

•••
The only winners in any legal dispute are the lawyers

Always better to communicate between the yourselves than pay through the nose to have a dispute legally resolved

Its a shame that big names in the domaini space have had to resort to such action
I remember when the "is Adam Dicker a criminal" post was posted, and I was a former volunteer as a moderator (twice) on his forum which has now been sold. I like Adam on some things, but also I saw some things that others may not have or did not care about. It was interesting to see the reaction of the community against Adam, who I still have some respect for, even though I was promised to be paid the second time, and it never happened. In any case, these flare-ups usually end up solving themselves, though, in the end, someone's money and reputation are on the line.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back