Dynadot

discuss Domain Registrars...What Do YOU Look For?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
With so many domain registrars out there, it's a highly competitive market. Most of us become victim to getting ourselves locked into a registrar because its cheap, and fail to think about the bigger picture and only then it's too late.

So, as the question above asks, what do YOU look for in a registrar?

Discounts? Savings on multiple purchases? Ease of transferring out, and associated costs? Quaility of aftercare service? Location? Or maybe something else?

Interested to know your thoughts.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Customer service, uptime/reliability, ease of use, security are all must haves. I do like bulk pricing also

•••
Price and deals/specials
Easy transfers and pushes
Full featured control panel with bulk change capability

•••
all the above & also, in this day & age, should be internationally recognized.

•••
I look for the name starting with Dyn :) Which encompasses all the qualities a good registrar should have into 1 package. YMMV. Tell me what you don't like about "Dyn" and I can recommend another. But the package will not necessary be as good as "Dyn". I try to keep all my domains at 1 Registrar. Which isn't always possible. I also like the registrar with the word "Silo" in it. Although it isn't "Dyn". I like "Uni" too but they are usually only cheapest for NGTLDs, even after the Domainer Discount on the GTLD/ccGTLD. Just because I haven't mention your favorite Registrar doesn't mean I have not tried them. It just means I like the features here as a package, better.

It's difficult. To give you specifics. You see what I like in all the messages above. If you have 10 domains, you probably have less "must haves" than someone with 10,000 domains. You need to be realistic with you "must haves" will be.

Price is important. Service is very important. I prefer to have an account manager with quality resolutions to questions, and true openness to making changes, within a 24hr turnaround on weekdays, than poor quality support available within 1hr, which takes a day to resolve (if ever) with no possibility of them taking on possible suggestions.. Which interestingly, for my hosting I expect true quality support within 10 minutes with ticket resolved within half-an hour or less.

Privacy/NoPrivacy is only a function of price of domain plus price of privacy. I prefer cheap prices and free privacy. I love the privacy which allows you to put a link to portfolio sales website, in the Privacy. It's called Partial Privacy of "Dyn". I actually don't know any other Registrar which has this feature.

With so many features, the learning curve might be a tad longer than GoDaddy. But it's well worth the additional time to learn, in order to get the best out of "Dyn"

•••
Trust, ease of use, phone customer service

•••
•••
I've also had an issue with DD where they put in a false backorder for me (Some random LLNN.net domain) which I never even backorder for!

•••
After much culling, still having 1,000++ names to renew each year and dozens more registered monthly, I mainly look for the 3 P's... PPP... Price, Price, Price! :xf.wink::ROFL:

I concur with @stub about Dynadot, currently running a $6.99 promo... one of my favorites, too. Their unique option of dropping newly registered names, if you so desire within 5 days of registration, comes in handy (y)

Exabytes (Tucows reseller) and AlibabaCloud, with long running $6+ newreg promos, keep a smile on my face :xf.grin:

LCN, with their long running $6+ transfer promo is always at my fingertips (y)(y)

And I'm not ashamed to admit I adore the hated NetSol, at least while their $1 promo is running :sneaky::cigar:

All this said, for really serious business, more valuable names, or those you expect to sell shortly, nothing beats Rob Monster's personal touch at EPIK, as well as their unique Escrow and sales options (y)(y)(y)

Sorry, not a fan of the universally loved Namesilo. I try to avoid registrars that lock-in your domains against transfers once they expire. I have found that, say, 30 day grace period comes in very handy...

Last edited:
•••
@stub

Maybe you need check these,

Avoid Dynadot, worse and worse service.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/avoid-dynadot-worse-and-worse-service.1096263/#post-6865440

Dynadot refusing to unlock account, what are my options? ...

https://www.namepros.com/threads/dy...hat-are-my-options.824770/page-3#post-6860198

I've read those threads

1. I don't ask for domain locks to be released after a domain is expired. And I have never sold a domain so close to expiry that this has happened. So this problem has never applied to me. But when I asked my Account Manager (Who I trust) prompted by that thread, They told me all I had to do was to request the lock to be released.

2. This thread was so old I understood any complaints had been fixed. Also. Because of my reply to 1, I also believe these to have been fixed.

3. If anybody likes. I can pick any domain which has recently expired and will ask for the domain lock to be removed and we can see what they say to me. Of course it has to be a domain in my account. There is nothing underhand with their treatment of me. If they will not unlock a domain for you, you are being treated differently to me. And we can ask why? OK?

•••
@stub

Maybe you need check these,

Avoid Dynadot, worse and worse service.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/avoid-dynadot-worse-and-worse-service.1096263/#post-6865440

Dynadot refusing to unlock account, what are my options? ...

https://www.namepros.com/threads/dy...hat-are-my-options.824770/page-3#post-6860198
It looks like you have taken it as personal & trying to build a bad reputation for a company which has proven to be as honest as its.

I highly recommend @Dynadot & @namesilo both are great register with highly trained customer services rep & trusted by lots of domainer.

•••
Last edited:
•••
ICANN's policies

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/transfer-policy-2016-06-01-en

Requirements for the "ClientTransferProhibited" Status and "AuthInfo" Codes
5.1 Subject to ICANN specifications or policies and any applicable laws or regulations, Registrars must follow the requirements set forth below.

Registrars may only set a domain name in "ClientTransferProhibited" status upon registration or subsequent request by the Registered Name Holder, provided, however, that the Registrar includes in its registration agreement (obtaining the express consent of the Registered Name Holder) the terms and conditions upon which it prohibits transfer of the domain name. Further, the Registrar must remove the "ClientTransferProhibited" status within five (5) calendar days of the Registered Name Holder's initial request if the Registrar does not provide facilities for the Registered Name Holder to remove the "ClientTransferProhibited" status.

Last edited:
•••
Registrars may only set a domain name in "ClientTransferProhibited" status upon registration or subsequent request by the Registered Name Holder.

But Dynadot will lock your expired domains without your permission and change the whois info to theirs.

•••
It looks like you have taken it as personal & trying to build a bad reputation for a company which has proven to be as honest as its.

I highly recommend @Dynadot & @namesilo both are great register with highly trained customer services rep & trusted by lots of domainer.

It's not about me taking anything personal. I'm trying to get to the real facts thru all the smoke and mirrors. When my account manager tells me all I need to do is to request to unlock the domain. I don't question their judgement because I trust them. That if I ask, they will unlock the domain and I can transfer it away. So I don't see how or why this is against ICANN Regulations. There are many Registrars who trample all over ICANN's owners rights, like GoDaddy, I'm offering to do a test, to see whose statements are correct yours or @simmtex or mine.

Can I ask why you @Furquah are answering to a message I sent to @simmplex? Is there any connection between you?

•••
@stub

It seems that you have an Account Manager assigned at Dynadot?

I do not think every customer has an Account Manager at Dynadot.
So maybe some VIPs have been treated differently.

Last edited:
•••
@stub

If you do not mind,
Let's do the test.

I would like to see what will happen,
if you pick a domain(it's better to be more than 10 days after expiring day) yourself which has recently expired and ask for the domain lock to be removed.

Last edited:
•••
•••
@stub

If you do not mind,
Let's do the test.

I would like to see what will happen,
if you pick a domain(it needs to be more than 10 days after expiring day) yourself which has recently expired and ask for the domain lock to be removed.

I have no problem with doing this test. It was an offer to help. I have already requested from my Account Manager (before I posted my offer here) for a clear explanation about their policy. Based on that reply, which I will share here, I will request them to unlock a domain expired for 11 days or older. And will also share that reply here. It's the beginning of the weekend. So I am not expecting to get these replies until early next week. Because Personal Account Managers generally don't work weekends.

Last edited:
•••
@stub

Thank you very much.
You are a really nice guy.

•••
Price and flexibility concerning transfer/push.
Only two things I look for with price being most important, all other stuff is secondary

•••
Price and flexibility concerning transfer/push.
Only two things I look for with price being most important, all other stuff is secondary

It's not possible to just consider price and nothing else. If the Registrars systems are a PITA, or in the worst cases might not work at all, like RegisterFly.com

Last edited:
•••
  1. Price consistently good on many extensions.
  2. Trusted long term record.
  3. A good system so normally I don't need customer support, but when I do fast response.
  4. A marketplace so if desired I can sell domains right there sometimes.
  5. Good clarity on policies.
  6. Free privacy if I want it.
  7. Good reviews from real users.
  8. Fast, automated and smooth unlock, Auth Code system.
  9. Also offering cost effective hosting services will be important to some who desire all in one solution.
  10. Reminds me efficiently when domains about to expire, also about upcoming price changes or promotions.

•••
  1. Price consistently good on many extensions.
  2. Trusted long term record.
  3. A good system so normally I don't need customer support, but when I do fast response.
  4. A marketplace so if desired I can sell domains right there sometimes.
  5. Good clarity on policies.
  6. Free privacy if I want it.
  7. Good reviews from real users.
  8. Fast, automated and smooth unlock, Auth Code system.
  9. Also offering cost effective hosting services will be important to some who desire all in one solution.
  10. Reminds me efficiently when domains about to expire, also about upcoming price changes or promotions.

I would NEVER advise to anybody to use the same hosting company as your registrar. Let's be realistic. Most problems are hosting related. Their solution is to quickly block access to your account until, you can comply. Which often times is not an easy fix. When the host puts a block on your account, they generally put a block on all hosted domains and all registered domains. Everything is toast. With an independant hosting company. When they put a block on your account, you can sign up at another hosting company and point all your hosted domains to the new hosting servers. But I wouldn't recommend you do that for the domain which caused the problem, without seriously fixing the problem. Else you could easily find yourself in host water with your new host too :)

Other than that. I think it's a good list of wants.

•••
Back