Dynadot

Domain purchased at closeouts now with status AfterNIC transfer

NameSilo
Watch

UXela

Account Closed
Impact
How can a domain I purchased at closeouts on Jul.19 now be with status AfterNIC transfer pending with update date Jul.20?

As far as I know GD terms say that THE OWNER can renew the domain (choose to pay the renewal / redemption fee) but not that the domain can be bought again using another service.

The situation is even more interesting since GoDaddy happens to own AfterNIC.

Perhaps @Joe Styler would answer this. I will provide the domain name via PM.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Is it possible the domain got an offer and sold at afternic, so the owner paid for redemption to be able to complete the sale? Maybe see if archive shows a previous For Sale page

•••
How can a domain I purchased at closeouts on Jul.19 now be with status AfterNIC transfer pending with update date Jul.20?

As far as I know GD terms say that THE OWNER can renew the domain (choose to pay the renewal / redemption fee) but not that the domain can be bought again using another service.

The situation is even more interesting since GoDaddy happens to own AfterNIC.

Perhaps @Joe Styler would answer this. I will provide the domain name via PM.

as in what? your expired domain taken out of your account to trandfer it to new owner ?

which registrar?

happens to my expired domains all the time that are with say netfirms or dotster.. day 36 past expiry.. if someone buys on gd closeout.. and they're out of my account.. no way to get them back.. possibly bug of doster.. as owner should have til min day 45 or even more to pay redemption fee and get stuff back

•••
I recently bought a non godaddy expired domain at GD auctions and I was baffled like you when whois status showed Afternic transfer pending. I waited for a few days and I received the domain. It seems Afternic handles the transfer for non godaddy expired domains.

Last edited:
•••
@kittu - I hope this is the case and this is the once in a lifetime moment when GoDaddy doesn't disappoint me.
Anyway - thanks a lot for your input! This is a situation I haven't thought of.

•••
This has happened to me a couple of times in the last few months. And as kittu mentioned, after the required "wait" period I eventually got the domain name. So depending on how much you paid at expired closeouts, you still have to wait the "x" number of days (slightly less than if you won the expired domain on the day the expired-auction ended).

•••
We sell domain names that expire from various registrars. If the name is not expired at GoDaddy and you win it, the name needs to move from the other company to GoDaddy and then to you. It moves through an Afternic account to complete the transfer and once it lands at GoDaddy it is moved to the buyer. This seems to be moving as it should with you as the buyer.

•••
Good to know.
I really had no idea this is how it works and this is how it appears on the WHOIS.

@Joe Styler - thanks for the fast reaction.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back