Dynadot

Domain offer spam from [email protected]

NameSilo
Watch
Just received the spam below. Appears to be a new 1 going about. Carried out a quick search on google and only 4 or 5 responses for the email address. Anyway be vigilant.

Subject: domain.com (modified but this will match your domain)
Hello,
I am interested in purchasing this domain name (not the website content, only the domain).
If you are open to selling please let me know ASAP and I will submit my best offer.
Thanks for your time,
Steve Johnson ([email protected])

Notice the email it was sent from was actually [email protected]. The email address this was sent too is only used on my whois.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've had a couple offers through parked domains this week, but the person making the offer doesn't reply. I wonder if it's the same sort of scam as this thread, just using parked domains. The latest was from some odd name @usa.com.

•••
Got same email too!

Same here too, for one of my premium generic dot com's (got to admit though at least he/she has great taste in top quality domains! :lala:

Code:
Hello,
I am interested in purchasing this domain name (not the website content, only the domain).
If you are open to selling please let me know ASAP and I will submit my best offer.
Thanks for your time,
Mike Howard ([email protected])

Header return path:
Tue, 11 Sep 2012 23:14:42 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: <[email protected]>

how domain can be stolen due to bouncing email?

A few years ago this happened on one of the main drop-auction sites where a domain was deliberately purchased by the wining bidder because an LLL.com and a few generic premium dot com's had their whois business address and email contact associated with the dropped domain.

The new owner of this domain subsequently reanimated the old contact address and email id matching the whois for the premium domains and was apparently able to 'resend' the premium domains account reset password URI to it.

From there he/she managed to utilize the newly set password to gain access to the premium domains to transfer out. The domains where part of a defunct business. From memory I think the perpetrator was caught in the end and the domains where returned to their rightful owner.

Food for thought thoughβ€” definitely an eye opener! :O D-:

•••
About this email make offer on domain ....

I noticed a few people mention they think they are getting this email because of the type of domain or wonder why they get the emssage for good domains or not etc.... The person sending them is most likely NOT choosing the domain names himself it is probably done by a computer program and randomly sends out the email to any domain name, like I previously mentioned it is a way to harvest email addresses, plain and simple. They send the admin contact email address an email in hopes they will get a reply. once they get the reply they can start sending you emails offering services like web design, seo, hosting etc.. anything related to domains. Plus like also previously mentioned they sell the list of emails as working verified email addresses to other spammers. It's just like if you build a web site and put your email address on one of the pages, an email harvester is guaranteed to get the email and start spamming you. I own tons of sites and built many client sites adn have tested this theory and know this for a fact. Usually spam will start anywhere from 1 week to at most a month and you will start getting the spam.

Well I hope this helps some people understand more about this stuff.
PS. If anyone is looking to buy some really graet one word adn top level domains in the .ca version let me know I have many available at great prices...and of course some .com's mostly good traffic domains.
Prorank

I just received the same email from mikesbikes444 (email copied at end).

I also received a similar one 2 weeks ago for the same domain (from a different email address).

Also, for the same domain again, I've had at least 3 emails offering the plural version of the domain to me.

It's a decent quality 2 word generic dotcom.

So maybe they are targeting specific domains?

•••
Just received this today:

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 3:42 AM

Hello,
Thanks for your time,
Mike Howard ([email protected])

:lol:just recieved the same!googled his email and landed right here!

•••
expired domains

I am getting these fake offers for names I allowed to expire years ago, and are still expired. The dope could go and purchase the domain himself if he really wanted it. Just dont reply. Its like the telephone spammers, you answer - they hang up and record that the number is live and they sell it to marketing firms which is when you start getting all sorts of calls.

•••
:lol:just recieved the same!googled his email and landed right here!

Maybe the truth is out..... namepros.com is using this as a recruiting tool! Make an offer, don't respond to any replies or offers, the domain owner gets curious and researches the email address and voila, another NP member.

Genius, pure genius. :laugh:

:notme:

•••
Maybe the truth is out..... namepros.com is using this as a recruiting tool! Make an offer, don't respond to any replies or offers, the domain owner gets curious and researches the email address and voila, another NP member.

Genius, pure genius. :laugh:

:notme:

:lol:

•••
Seeing that the ciphersense domain is hosted on a free instapage at GoDaddy, I would say he hasn't been very successful.

Maybe this guy should find a new line a work LOL

•••
I would've replied if the inquiry came from mikesDykes444 :D

•••
Got one of these today - different name, different email, exact same message. Mine was from "Mike Howard" - mikesbikes445 @ yahoo.com. Also sent from [email protected]

Got one Sept 10th..Did not notice it untill today. ;P
mikesbikes445

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back