IT.COM

question Domain name confusion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LosAtmos

Established Member
Impact
I’ve been watching an expired domain name for some time now, and had placed a bid on it through Sedo. The domain in question is “fr.fr”. Yesterday I got an email from Sedo stating that the seller is no longer the registered owner and my bid was canceled. I then looked the domain up on whois.com and it returned an error that the domain was invalid. I checked namecheap and it said the domain is unavailable. I’m so confused now, if nobody owns the domain why can’t it be registered? I did a web search and I saw on the google domains page that .fr names (extension for France) are between 3 and 60-something characters long, but I’m not sure if that’s on the protocol level or just google. If it is on the protocol level, why was that change made? Seems like a good way to piss off a lot of 1 and 2 character domain holders.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's likely reserved by the registry and won't be placed for sale.

Not sure how Sedo listed it...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back