IT.COM

Domain Landers OR Own Landers For 2020??

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
So basically with the new year approaching I want to get back into my names. I been doing other things and letting a lot of domains expire and such but want to rope it back in.

Right now about 85% of my own domains are with Godaddy BIN landers. Now they show my domain at my BIN but they list tons more in other extensions and variables that I think detours the user from my domain to another one. I seen a lot of post with domains sold with Dan lander as well. I used to do some others but due to fees and no sales canceled.

So back into the decision making time again and what would be best or that you THINK is best AND trustworthy to the buyer. Godaddy (if they got better or different landers), Afternic Landers, Dan Landers or somehow doing my very own so everything goes to me?

What say you!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Bob, it was just most recently, after they rebranded to Dan (past 2-3 months). For my domains Dan is more like transaction provider "bring your own customer and we'll check you out"

I dont think Epik or Efty do better than that, thet are basically checkout providers. At least in Dan you can do advanced domain search, I am not sure if that is available in Efty and Epik.

•••
I dont think Epik or Efty do better than that, thet are basically checkout providers. At least in Dan you can do advanced domain search, I am not sure if that is available in Efty and Epik.

I have never used Epik (marketplace) or Efty so I can't compare.

•••
@epik if your Sales Lander would be such a valuable tool for all of the domainers
why don't you open it to all of us

why do you need to transfer your names to epik first?

ICYMI, NamePros members can be approved to put their domains into Epik even if their domains are registered elsewhere. If you are wondering why we offer that option for free, for non-Epik domains there are two big themes:

1. When they get a big sale via marketplace or escrow they are able to buklk fund their transfers or new creates using proceeds. They can also use proceeds to buy from Afternic and Sedo MLS without markup.

2. When they get an inquiry via Make Offer and it is is a qualified lead on a non-Epik domain, they will start a transfer into Epik.

The only thing the folks who don't have domains at Epik can't do is do leasing and financing. If they want to start one of those, the domain would need to be at Epik.

For most registrars, they can transfer their domains within an hour. Some registrars make you wait up to 8 days to do a transfer. People should run away from those registrars as fast as possible.

•••
ICYMI, NamePros members can be approved to put their domains into Epik even if their domains are registered elsewhere. If you are wondering why we offer that option for free, for non-Epik domains there are two big themes:

1. When they get a big sale via marketplace or escrow they are able to buklk fund their transfers or new creates using proceeds. They can also use proceeds to buy from Afternic and Sedo MLS without markup.

2. When they get an inquiry via Make Offer and it is is a qualified lead on a non-Epik domain, they will start a transfer into Epik.

The only thing the folks who don't have domains at Epik can't do is do leasing and financing. If they want to start one of those, the domain would need to be at Epik.

For most registrars, they can transfer their domains within an hour. Some registrars make you wait up to 8 days to do a transfer. People should run away from those registrars as fast as possible.
From the perspective of leasing and financing, one big advantage of Dan.com is: you do not need to change your actual registrar if you want to have leasing or financing options available - just load your names to Dan.com (takes literally few seconds), and by few clicks you can set up your leasing or financing options. Very easy, I recommend this.

Again, the big advantage is that you can leave your names at your current registrar - no need to transfer them somewhere else, you can enjoy the registrar which works best for you :)

•••
you can enjoy the registrar which works best for you :)
I agree but if your domains are already at Epik, they offer more flexibility than DAN re lengths of term, whether you want interest applied, etc. I agree that DAN payment plans are trivially easy to set up, but if your domains are at Epik it is almost as easy and the payback is you have more options to offer a prospective buyer.

Also the potential buyer can contact you and you can work with them (e.g. maybe they want it set up with a longer term), no hiding of contact information, which I suspect is helpful. The terms of the payment plans are a bit more obvious to prospective buyers at Epik I think.

I have some of my domain names at value prices and like that Epik do not set a lower limit as well (although DANs $495+ is not very restrictive).

I am not pushing one or the other. As I mentioned elsewhere I have payment plans in place (for different domain names) at all of DAN, Epik and NameSilo. I like them all. If others would offer them, I would like them too :xf.grin:.

I don't primarily pick a registrar for a domain name based on payment plan availability, but whether it has a marketplace, how nice the landers are, and whether payment plans offered are 3 of my considerations (along with many other things like price, ease of use, customer support, trust, etc.) It is the same thing re transfers - with attractive pricing I will transfer a domain name to a provider with a marketplace and payment plan and nice landers (and have done that with some).

Bob

Last edited:
•••
At least in Dan you can do advanced domain search, I am not sure if that is available in Efty and Epik
Yes for sure you can do advanced search in Epik marketplace and in fact it has way more parameters that can be adjusted than DAN advanced search. In both cases (DAN and Epik) the advanced search is only obvious after you start a simple search. In Epik you can search based on TLD, price, length, number of words, category, listing type, etc. Here is part of a screen but there are a number more parameters below the part I captured.
Bob
EpikAdvSearch.png

•••
I like Epik for it's effort to put a lot of controls into the package.
I feel like I'm still on a learning curve to utilize all it's power.

The one thing I really appreciate about Efty though is the Marketplace page:

(See HandMadeDomains.com for how I've set it up)

There I can graphically offer my entire domain portfolio rather than just a list ... which allows a logo to aid in selling & branding a domain.

For the majority of domains that don't have a natural "organic" search or low rankings, proactive marketing can lead potential buyers to a landing page that allows you to further define the value of said domain.
More marketing opportunities than a simple "This page is for sale at GoDaddy, Afternic, etc."

•••
There I can graphically offer my entire domain portfolio rather than just a list ... which allows a logo to aid in selling & branding a domain.
Yes, I think that feature is particularly important for those who have repeat business or where information is shared word of mouth. DAN allow a link to your DAN holdings but I agree that the Efty one, particularly where you can adjust the priority the names are shown, is more effective, particularly for those selling brandable names.

There is a similar opportunity, I think, at Epik and NameSilo but I have not used them personally. Not sure how they compare.

Bob

•••
From the perspective of leasing and financing, one big advantage of Dan.com is: you do not need to change your actual registrar if you want to have leasing or financing options available - just load your names to Dan.com (takes literally few seconds), and by few clicks you can set up your leasing or financing options. Very easy, I recommend this.

Exactly!

Due to this single fact I switched from Epik to DAN for my latest two sales. I even asked them to increase the number of installments to 24 for my $2,000 sale and they manually did it for me (24 mo financing available for sales above $3,000 at DAN).

I agree but if your domains are already at Epik, they offer more flexibility than DAN re lengths of term, whether you want interest applied, etc. I agree that DAN payment plans are trivially easy to set up, but if your domains are at Epik it is almost as easy and the payback is you have more options to offer a prospective buyer.

Something else to consider is that you can’t have domains at Epik if you bought them at actions (or moved between Registrars) in the past 2 months.

•••
Difference between Epik leasing and Dan leasing:
Epik requires domains to be at Epik.
Epik is safer for buyers. You (seller) can cheat at Dan, because you control the domain.

•••
Something else to consider is that you can’t have domains at Epik if you bought them at actions (or moved between Registrars) in the past 2 months.
You just mean the same transfer restriction as for any registrar transfer, right? Not specific to Epik

Nice to see they would manually change length of payment schedule for you at DAN. I see in the DAN/Undeveloped thread they will be implementing more options in payment lengths as a general feature in the forthcoming DAN update.

Bob

•••
Difference between Epik leasing and Dan leasing:
Epik requires domains to be at Epik.
Epik is safer for buyers. You (seller) can cheat at Dan, because you control the domain.
Not true. When leasing starts at Dan, domain is moved to safe escrow domain account which is under Dan's control. You do not have countrol of your domain anymore during the lease period, while buyer and Dan's team have :)

•••
@Nattydomain

Care to share when you mention Godaddy BIN landers, you just Url forward your domains one by one(or using some bulk url forwarding service) to the Godaddy search result page, or using some name servers provided by Godaddy?

So basically with the new year approaching I want to get back into my names. I been doing other things and letting a lot of domains expire and such but want to rope it back in.

Right now about 85% of my own domains are with Godaddy BIN landers. Now they show my domain at my BIN but they list tons more in other extensions and variables that I think detours the user from my domain to another one. I seen a lot of post with domains sold with Dan lander as well. I used to do some others but due to fees and no sales canceled.

So back into the decision making time again and what would be best or that you THINK is best AND trustworthy to the buyer. Godaddy (if they got better or different landers), Afternic Landers, Dan Landers or somehow doing my very own so everything goes to me?

What say you!

•••
@Nattydomain

Care to share when you mention Godaddy BIN landers, you just Url forward your domains one by one(or using some bulk url forwarding service) to the Godaddy search result page, or using some name servers provided by Godaddy?

it was through there program but when I went back to double check it I neglected to accept something and now its the Afternic/Godaddy lander and even though I have a BIN it does not show it on the lander they advise to call the toll free Number or use the form.

•••

What say you!
Hmmm... I'm gonna say own landers if you have the time. Make a mini site for how it could look and offer it for sale at the same time.

One of mine. Site is a free template.

http://jurisprudential.com/

•••
You just mean the same transfer restriction as for any registrar transfer, right? Not specific to Epik

Yes and No.

Since we discussed financing/leasing options as well as difference between DAN and Epik, it’s specific to Epik — if you bought a domain at, say, Dropcatch, and a month later you want to sell it via installments, you cannot do that with Epik, but you can with DAN.

•••
Yes and No.

Since we discussed financing/leasing options as well as difference between DAN and Epik, it’s specific to Epik — if you bought a domain at, say, Dropcatch, and a month later you want to sell it via installments, you cannot do that with Epik, but you can with DAN.

You can with Epik. We structure it as a lease. It is not as awesome but it works just fine.

•••
You can with Epik. We structure it as a lease. It is not as awesome but it works just fine.

Thanks, Rob. How does that work?

I was under impression I cannot sell a domain in installments until after I transfer the domain to Epik (which would not be possible due to registrar lock).

Last edited:
•••
Thanks, Rob. How does that work?

I was under impression I cannot sell a domain in installments until after I transfer the domain to Epik (which would not be possible due to registrar lock).

Do it here:

https://www.epik.com/services/escrow/

It is not the preferred way, but it works.

We have to do additional vetting for transactional assurance and compliance so it is not the preferred way but it can certainly be done, and works as well or better than anyone else because the DNS management is in fact immediately accessible 24/7 from the lessee's Epik control panel.

•••
Do it here:

https://www.epik.com/services/escrow/

It is not the preferred way, but it works.

We have to do additional vetting for transactional assurance and compliance so it is not the preferred way but it can certainly be done, and works as well or better than anyone else because the DNS management is in fact immediately accessible 24/7 from the lessee's Epik control panel.

Let’s call it a workaround. I wouldn’t bother to use it for small value transactions (low 4 figures) due to additional steps involved (confirmations, etc). But it’s good to know you can do that if needed.

•••
Hmmm... I'm gonna say own landers if you have the time. Make a mini site for how it could look and offer it for sale at the same time.

One of mine. Site is a free template.

http://jurisprudential.com/

I like your template. I think for some domains it makes sense to develop them a little. Is this dedicated hosting that you are paying for each domain like this?

•••
I like your template. I think for some domains it makes sense to develop them a little. Is this dedicated hosting that you are paying for each domain like this?
I can host up to 200 domains for $4/month at 1 host. Also gave them some customers that have been there about 20 years.

•••
All depends on time and effort you want to make and the names you chose. If you buy brands you will likely have less targeted traffic than generic. If you have generic and run meta tags with relevant keywords you will fair better than parking a page. If you take a small step further then you make more progress. If you park them all get right into your marketing or keep building your landers and work on how else you can lure a buyer. To be honest I think we are going to need little mini sites different pages eg contact, about us, perhaps keyword relevance statistics content building to minimal remaining as domainer.

Last edited:
•••
All depends on time and effort you want to make and the names you chose. If you buy brands you will likely have less targeted traffic than generic. If you have generic and run meta tags with relevant keywords you will fair better than parking a page. If you take a small step further then you make more progress. If you park them all get right into your marketing or keep building your landers and work on how else you can lure a buyer. To be honest I think we are going to need little mini sites different pages eg contact, about us, perhaps keyword relevance statistics content building to minimal remaining as domainer.

I agree.

Mini pages give the opportunity to sell not only the domain, but your own brand as a domainer.
@Rick Schwartz uses the analogy of real estate sales frequently. I find them very apt. If you look at it that way, the brand of the realtor is important too.

Domains are by definition brands and marketing simultaneously.
A professional approach to sales conveys strength, assurance, trust - which add value to a transaction.

•••
I just direct all my domains to my marketplace BrandBookie.

Own lander and acts as a point of confluence for customers to talk domains.

I'm going to try a couple on Afternic to see if I could be more effective, but I'm happy with the traffic and size of my portfolio now.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back