Dynadot

Domain King says end of Q3/start of Q4 2022 worst he has ever seen!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Will Q4 2022 be lowest reported public sales period since DNJournal started reporting sales?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    61.5%
  • No

votes
    38.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

J.R.

Established Member
Impact
Rick Schwartz aka The Domain King Tweeted on 6 October 2022, that he'd never seen the domain public sales this slow during his entire domaining career.

For many domainers, Q4 has historically been the best time of the year for sales.

Viewing DN Journal last two public sales reports and thinking on Rick's statements only confirmed what I was experiencing in 2022.

https://dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

Based on my own sales history, 80% have come during September & Q4. I was truly looking forward to sales in Q4, but my own stalled deals with end users for EMD dot-Com upgrades, has my normal optimism turning pessimistic on Q4 2022. Especially considering Fed is expected to raise interest rates in November and December.

I have to agree with Rick, this is going to be the coldest Winter for domain public sales since 2000.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't know why this thread is not as active as I expected. In theory, a company or an individual needs a domain name regardless the economic conditions. But perhaps people are more likely to start new ventures when the stock was up? Or maybe people have lost their money in crypto so they can't afford to start new ventures?

•••
It's risky to start something new now. Or to invest. Postponing is the rule, mostly.

Funding is difficult, crypto is down, times uncertain. DeFi has been experiencing hacks, stocks are down, recession looming, war ongoing.

It's not rocket science to see why.

•••
Try to say this to people who sold .xyz 😉 & will sell .xyz or maybe .US 🤗

•••
It might be a bad time to sell but how about buying?

Profit is made when you buy. Not when you sell.

•••
It might be a bad time to sell but how about buying?

Profit is made when you buy. Not when you sell.
The (new) golden age of buying has just started.

Edit: I'm already clearing thousands names (including here on NP) that would have otherwise brought me lots of thousands as they previously did - for years in the better times.

So yeah.

Edit2: But I'm also buying - wholesale

Last edited:
•••
The (new) golden age of buying has just started.

Maybe. It's all a gamble but mid to long term I'm confident about domains. I liquidated some other assets with good profit to be able to reinvest for long term into some domains. There's opportunity to buy on the cheap.

•••
@twiki

Smart move. The market is definitely down. It's wise to reposition and look at (new) opportunity.

My sales have been picking up this month but I'm not confident about steady sales short term.

•••
Tbh, I'm writing off Q4 and Q1 and am focussing on Q3/4 2023.

Readjusting, preparing to take a hit for a year or so.

•••
I don't know why this thread is not as active as I expected. In theory, a company or an individual needs a domain name regardless the economic conditions. But perhaps people are more likely to start new ventures when the stock was up? Or maybe people have lost their money in crypto so they can't afford to start new ventures?
Regardless of economic conditions? You are living in Lala land. US economy is doing downhill. wait for one more year till Putin crushes the petrodollar based economy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back