Dynadot

interviews Domain King interview @ BusinessInsider

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
I make millions selling domain names to big brands like CNN. Here's how I got into it and find new ones. - Rick Schwartz

This as-told-to essay is based on a transcribed conversation with Rick Schwartz, a domain investor living in Florida. It has been edited for length and clarity.

Investing in domain names started in the 15 years I lived on the road, around 1973.

Every night I'd have to call information to find numbers for hotels. This would take a lot of time out of my day.

Eventually, I started only calling hotels that had a vanity 1-800 number because I didn't have to call information to get a room. If a company had a vanity 1-800 number, they had a better chance of getting my business.

In 1993, investing in these became a lot easier, so I started purchasing vanity numbers of company names. I eventually moved on to ones that the adult industry would like, such as 1-800-Make-Out and 1-800-Sir-Love.

But I did. I started registering some of the top 1-800 numbers as domain addresses.

read more

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting but a bit short. I would have preferred a longer interview.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back