Dynadot

Domain I want just expired, what's next?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

croatan

Impact
Hey guys,

The domain I'm looking for almost more than a year, expired two days ago.

Registrar: NameCheap
Expires on 2022-06-20

As I don't have tons of money and would like to get this domain as cheap as possible, what should be the next step for me?

I know that after the domain expires, the owner still has from 45-120 days to renew the domain (or something like that), right?

After that time period (after those XY days), I will be able to normally purchase the domain via any domain provider like GoDaddy, NameCheap, and others?

If I set up a backorder, how does that work? I will need to pay a much higher price for the registration of that domain? And next year at the renewal I will also pay that high price or regular price like $20 or less?

I would love to get that domain but for let's say reasonable price, maybe under $50 or under $70.

Any tip is welcomed since I'm a beginner in buying expired domains. But have bought over 30 domains already in my lifetime.

Thank you in advance.

+Edit: In case I take backorder at some provider for let's say $70. In that $70 I get a domain registration or this is just a monitoring service that notifies me and says: Hey, Your wished domain is now available for registration?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hey guys,

The domain I'm looking for almost more than a year, expired two days ago.

Registrar: NameCheap
Expires on 2022-06-20

As I don't have tons of money and would like to get this domain as cheap as possible, what should be the next step for me?

I know that after the domain expires, the owner still has from 45-120 days to renew the domain (or something like that), right?

After that time period (after those XY days), I will be able to normally purchase the domain via any domain provider like GoDaddy, NameCheap, and others?

If I set up a backorder, how does that work? I will need to pay a much higher price for the registration of that domain? And next year at the renewal I will also pay that high price or regular price like $20 or less?

I would love to get that domain but for let's say reasonable price, maybe under $50 or under $70.

Any tip is welcomed since I'm a beginner in buying expired domains. But have bought over 30 domains already in my lifetime.

Thank you in advance.

+Edit: In case I take backorder at some provider for let's say $70. In that $70 I get a domain registration or this is just a monitoring service that notifies me and says: Hey, Your wished domain is now available for registration?

In backorder they will register the domain for you as soon as it drop within fraction of second. Later they will push the domain in your account. The registration charge is different.

•••
If not a hot domain, I would quietly wait until it drops, because otherwise the owner, registrar , and dropcathcers would be alarmed, and either you can't get the domain or be victim of grabbing or shilling, or greed...

•••
If not a hot domain, I would quietly wait until it drops, because otherwise the owner, registrar , and dropcathcers would be alarmed, and either you can't get the domain or be victim of grabbing or shilling, or greed...
Yes, It is not a hot domain. And it was not even so popular. Also the website was offline for the last 6 months I believe. So I also think I will wait until it becomes available. Is there any service that could notify me when domain is available for registration? I found this one but did not set the alarm yet because I'm not sure if they might purchase domain before me and then try to sell me for higher price: domainname (dot) shop/domainwatch

Or should I just set private calendar on 45'th day of expire. Or some other number of the day? Maybe use visual ping and monitor changes on namecheap registration link ?

Thanks for reply.

•••
In backorder they will register the domain for you as soon as it drop within fraction of second. Later they will push the domain in your account. The registration charge is different.
Thanks for the reply. And what means 'The registration charge is different' exactly?
So let's say I buy backorder at GoDaddy for $70 for the wished domain. Once domain becomes available, they will buy the domain for me for those $70 and that's it or I need to pay additional money to transfer that domain from their ownership to mine? Thanks

•••
Thanks for the reply. And what means 'The registration charge is different' exactly?
So let's say I buy backorder at GoDaddy for $70 for the wished domain. Once domain becomes available, they will buy the domain for me for those $70 and that's it or I need to pay additional money to transfer that domain from their ownership to mine? Thanks
Let's say, here $70 will be service charge for backorder. If registration charge in $10 they will charge you $10 to register the domain for you. I suggest you to wait till it drops. You can visit the expireddomains.net to check the exact drop date and time.

You can also find there if it is available for closeout sell for low price like $5, $20 before actual drop.

•••
Yes, It is not a hot domain. And it was not even so popular. Also the website was offline for the last 6 months I believe. So I also think I will wait until it becomes available. Is there any service that could notify me when domain is available for registration? I found this one but did not set the alarm yet because I'm not sure if they might purchase domain before me and then try to sell me for higher price: domainname (dot) shop/domainwatch

Or should I just set private calendar on 45'th day of expire. Or some other number of the day? Maybe use visual ping and monitor changes on namecheap registration link ?

Thanks for reply.
Doesn't matter if it's hot or not. If you've been tracking it since a year ago, it means it is important to you. Keep monitoring to know when it's about to drop then you place a backorder on dropcatch.

•••
Let's say, here $70 will be service charge for backorder. If registration charge in $10 they will charge you $10 to register the domain for you. I suggest you to wait till it drops. You can visit the expireddomains.net to check the exact drop date and time.

You can also find there if it is available for closeout sell for low price like $5, $20 before actual drop.
My domain is not appearing on expiredomains.net :D
Any other tool I could check for the exact drop date and time?

Thanks

•••
It expired days ago. Slow down as they still have lots of time to renew.

Start looking when its beyond 30 days expired. If its at NameCheap they will auction it before it drops into backorder zone so you need to join auctions small member fee and could grab it there if no one else bids.

•••
It expired days ago. Slow down as they still have lots of time to renew.

Start looking when its beyond 30 days expired. If its at NameCheap they will auction it before it drops into backorder zone so you need to join auctions small member fee and could grab it there if no one else bids.
Thanks a lot for that tip. They put the minimum bid or what bid should I put as a minimum (in case there is some kind of trick they don't want to sell you if you bid below $50 or some amount).

•••
Thanks a lot for that tip. They put the minimum bid or what bid should I put as a minimum (in case there is some kind of trick they don't want to sell you if you bid below $50 or some amount).
I got one a few weeks back I forgot the opening bid but I got at close to minimum and it was around 27 or 28 bucks total. You pay the auction price and their renewal listed at $13.99 (which is a ripoff) but others do the same.

Based on the expiration date it will show up there if not renewed for sure by Day 35 and I think it runs for under a week so you might want to bid closer to the end time not to call attention to it.

Last edited:
•••
I got one a few weeks back I forgot the opening bid but I got at the minimum and it was around 27 or 28 bucks total. You pay the auction price and their renewal listed at $13.99 (which is a ripoff)but others do the same.

Based on the expiration date it will show up there if not renewed for sure by Day 35 and I think it runs for under a week so you might want to bid closer to the end time not to call attention to it.
Thank you very much. That really helps.

•••
As I read some of the comments here, it sounds like the domain is mine. I kept it for 8yrs+ but now on grace period. So what will I do now? I will go and renew it. That is it. :xf.rolleyes::xf.grin:

•••
My domain is not appearing on expiredomains.net :D
Any other tool I could check for the exact drop date and time?

Thanks
https://www.domainhospital.com/ddc.shtml
(assuming you are looking for a .com name. NOTE: I have not tested the accuracy of this tool)

Details about domain life cycle and back ordering:
https://www.namejet.com/Pages/Services/Aftermarket.aspx
https://www.dropcatch.com/hiw/drop-process
https://www.namepros.com/blog/finding-expiring-and-recently-expired-domain-names.1265939/

Last edited:
•••
Useful post. Thank you all.

•••
•••
spending a year of my time checking up on a domain i will backorder the name on as many platforms as i can and not care how much extra it is gonna cost and yeah usually the backorder price includes domain renewal atleast in dropcatch case it does
good luck

•••
•••
Back